KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am getting a SX soon and haven't really decided which one I want the 450 or 505. I will be racing MX so I was first thinking 450 but now I don't know. Because for other riding like dunes and stuff I think the 505 would be better and I don't really mind racing open.

Another question is the competition is open harder or easier?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I would say get the 505 then. Ive never raced open but it seems like it wouldnt be much harder than 450. 450 seems to where to competition is at, correct me if Im wrong.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I would say go Open with the 505SX. Ask Anthony (driver311) here about some little mods in the 505 and what beast it becomes. It goes against prepped 450's with no probs...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You just have to validate the reasoning for it. Me, I am 95% track and 5% play. I spend a lot of time on the track. I am racing production class also. So I am allowed 450cc. If open was appealing to me then I would race that. But to me you really dont have a fair race in open, its like you run what you brung and hope you brought enough ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You just have to validate the reasoning for it. Me, I am 95% track and 5% play. I spend a lot of time on the track. I am racing production class also. So I am allowed 450cc. If open was appealing to me then I would race that. But to me you really dont have a fair race in open, its like you run what you brung and hope you brought enough ;)
Well I think I might be 80/20 maybe 85/15, and are you saying open is harder?

And has anyone ridden both because I've read that the 450 hits better in some places?

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Way to go man!! Good to hear your getting aboard a KTM!!!

Personally, i wanted to run production, so thats why I have (2) 450's, but I really wanna get a 505 after this season and have one open bike and one production for next season!

Either way, you'll be set!!!

Jay

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dude get the 505. No question you will like it more. Local races 90% of the time dont care cc size. And at the dunes there is NO CLASSES. Run what you brung. Go for the power. 505. Thats what made the choice for me. The 450 will leave you wanting guarateed if you do anything besides 450 class mx. ;)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yup I agree. Its gonna cost be more to be as fast as Driver :rolleyes:

Just playin bro :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Way to go man!! Good to hear your getting aboard a KTM!!!

Personally, i wanted to run production, so thats why I have (2) 450's, but I really wanna get a 505 after this season and have one open bike and one production for next season!

Either way, you'll be set!!!

Jay
Haha thanks Jay! Now I can put all ur beautiful carbon parts on her

Dude get the 505. No question you will like it more. Local races 90% of the time dont care cc size. And at the dunes there is NO CLASSES. Run what you brung. Go for the power. 505. Thats what made the choice for me. The 450 will leave you wanting guarateed if you do anything besides 450 class mx. ;)
Ya the 505 will be better over all just not sure about open class thanks Anthony

Yup I agree. Its gonna cost be more to be as fast as Driver :rolleyes:

Just playin bro :p
Haha but ya Brad how do you think open class will me at ITP would it be harder the prod? Like comp. Wise

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You have to remember, you will going against bike bored/stroked Hondas, Yamahas, LTR, KTM 525, Polaris. LOTS of people race BUILT ass motors in those classes AND THEY ARE FAST! But Anthony is right, if you dont race ITP ALL the time you would be ok with a 505. I think the open class is harder yes because the people that can afford the big bore/strokers have them and use them ;) I think production class is a more fair/ even competition. It takes more tallent than money.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crap idk now again LOL because I'm not planning on putting a lot of mods in the SX just the mods in my sig so it might not be fair. Hmm what do you guys think

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ohlins Stabilizer...Cut Air Box...KTM FMF Silencer...KTM Bumper...And All KTM Orange Parts..........

All those items come with it if you ever make up your damn mind :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
I run open cause I like running built to the eyeballs engines ! that is much of the appeal as anything for me !!

Hell the open competition is fierce and the open vets class has a huge field of old die hard racers who know every trick in the book, gotta bring some serious engine with ya as the start straight sorts the race order most of the time, why you ask, cause us old buzzards know how to legally block, force errors and generally create mayhem for any hotshot who is behind us !!!

The general comments from the race organizers is that don't you old buggers know how to behave... :huh: long may it continue !!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohlins Stabilizer...Cut Air Box...KTM FMF Silencer...KTM Bumper...And All KTM Orange Parts..........

All those items come with it if you ever make up your damn mind :rolleyes:
Haha that's why I put them because as of yesterday I'm a ktm factory support rider so that kind of made up my mind just don't know which SX punk a$$ LOL i just dont want to make the wrong choice on a $11000 quad that I am going to have for awhile and I forgot to put fuel intake and vortex ignition

And kiwi I think your making up my mind LOL sorry driver but right now I'm leaning on the 450

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Atta boy, you wont be dissapointed either way ;)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The 505sx is the way to go. The open class isnt as hard as peeps make it out to be. A bone stock 505sx will be hella fast in any open race. Especially the novice and int class. Remember you have weight on your side. Most of the faster racers run the 450 class anyhow . Just get the 505 and be done with it. Its not that hard. Its faster and its only 300 more.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 505sx is the way to go. The open class isnt as hard as peeps make it out to be. A bone stock 505sx will be hella fast in any open race. Especially the novice and int class. Remember you have weight on your side. Most of the faster racers run the 450 class anyhow . Just get the 505 and be done with it. Its not that hard. Its faster and its only 300 more.
Haha alright jakeltr said open is easier no doubt so open doesn't bother me now, it's not that I want it to be easier I just don't want it to be hella hard LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
ive ridden both, the 505 to 450 difference is very much like the 450 to 525 xc. the 505 is a brute but the 450 comes on a lot smoother and has a lot more controllable powerband, the 505 is insane but im a lot faster on teh 450 because its a lot easier to hang on to, im only 5'9 135 sopping wet so im not exactly huge and dont really have the muscle to ang onto taht beast for a 10 minute moto, the 450 is amazing though, i havent been tired yet once after a race.

BTW, you might want to add rocket ron to your list, the WPs arent exactly soft and cushy...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ive ridden both, the 505 to 450 difference is very much like the 450 to 525 xc. the 505 is a brute but the 450 comes on a lot smoother and has a lot more controllable powerband, the 505 is insane but im a lot faster on teh 450 because its a lot easier to hang on to, im only 5'9 135 sopping wet so im not exactly huge and dont really have the muscle to ang onto taht beast for a 10 minute moto, the 450 is amazing though, i havent been tired yet once after a race.

BTW, you might want to add rocket ron to your list, the WPs arent exactly soft and cushy...
Haha thanks man I think imma love the brute well I hope I'm 5"10 180 pounds but I'm sure I'll get used to it, and yup I am fur sure getting some rocket ron conversions but not until next year unless I come up with some money

Thanks again everyone :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

SKronny little dude! I only weigh 5 more pounds :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts