KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of oil is every one running? I have been using the motorex syntec but i am rebuilding my motor and figure now would be a good time to switch if im gonna. Im finding the motorex really expensive and a bit of a hassel to get. I'd really like a good brand i can go to walmart or advanced auto parts to pick up. Also should i stay with synthetic or switch to conventional?

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
15w40 Rotella is what I run... It is highly accepted in the KTM community. I think there may be a few posts about it here, but thousands of post about it over at ktmtalk.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
thats what i run to

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the rotella synthetic or conventional? also, is it ok to switch if your doing a rebuild?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The 15W-40 is Rotella T's conventional oil and the 5W-40 is their synthetic base oil. I run AMSOIL 20W-50 synthetic motor cycle oil in mine but I'm a dealer so I get it at a very good price. If you become a prefered customler you can get it at the same price as I do but with out the dealer benifits. Folks have been using the Rotella T oil for years with great results and I think you would be very happy with it, and yes you can use it straight away after a rebuild. Good luck!!!

s/f

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Other than the unparalleled performance the next best thing about Rotella is that its super cheap...

Not to mention you can buy it at most Shell gas stations and ALL auto parts stores carry it!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Right on Bronson...

Sam's sells it in 3 gallon Cases and Wal-Mart also sells it in both Quart and Gallon...that is one of the main reasons for my changing to it in everything I have is convenience and readily available. It was sold in 6 gallon cases before at Sam's Club for $36 a case then it wnet to $52 a case due to the price of oil. Ithink the 3 gallon cases are around $30 now but should come down with the price of oil coming down hopefully! So its somewhere around $2.50 a Quart which is cheap for a high quality oil compared to Motorex or Amsoil...

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Right on Bronson...

Sam's sells it in 3 gallon Cases and Wal-Mart also sells it in both Quart and Gallon...that is one of the main reasons for my changing to it in everything I have is convenience and readily available. It was sold in 6 gallon cases before at Sam's Club for a case then it wnet to a case due to the price of oil. Ithink the 3 gallon cases are around now but should come down with the price of oil coming down hopefully! So its somewhere around .50 a Quart which is cheap for a high quality oil compared to Motorex or Amsoil...
Cole, how has the 50% drop in crude prices since July changed your company's strategic plan for the future?

I honestly believe that OPEC is just as much to blame as the mortgage lenders are who wrote bad B paper loans for current global recession... It seems very ironic that the market could careless what OPEC does to production as they continue to cut production and the price is still failing!!!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Cole, how has the 50% drop in crude prices since July changed your company's strategic plan for the future?

I honestly believe that OPEC is just as much to blame as the mortgage lenders are who wrote bad B paper loans for current global recession... It seems very ironic that the market could careless what OPEC does to production as they continue to cut production and the price is still failing!!!
Several thing drove that Bronson:

1.) I am glad this is happening as it needed to happen for a reality check on housing prices, fuel prices, Etc
2.) Greed caused this fallout to happen plain and simple
3.) Loans were made available to Poor People IE People in the US that want a paycheck ,but don't want a job
4.) Loans were made available to all races, colors, credits (or lack off), and to anyone who could show up with a 5% down payment even if they hadn't held a job for years
5.) Loans were made to people that had no intention of paying it back - many of the people in Arizona got greedy, then paid 5% down on a 500,000 to 1,000,000 home and thought they would sell it for double the money and it didn't work - so they left the keys in the door as the 1,000,000 home they built for resale was now valued at $600,000 and they owed 950,000 on the home so they took the easy way out an filed bankruptcy and the banks were left with 20,000 homes that were worth only half of what was owed on them and NO BUYERS to buy them - GREED plain and simple
6.) Investors saw that they could no longer become rich in real estate over night as they were greedy and jumped on buying oil futures which drove the price to $147 per barrel further burying any remnants of our economy - Greed plain and simple - we budget our drilling program for $60 a barrel oil not $100 barrel oil
7.) Loans of this nature were made available because if you do not loan money to the Poor People in the US = (People that do not want to work and People that live in a 10 X 60 ft Mobile Home and drive a Cadillac Escalade everyday)=
YOU are racist and prejudice against these people - George Bush told/warned Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac TWO YEARS ago to quit giving out RISKY loans and they never stopped

The price of oil should never have went to above 60$ barrel the Greedy Speculators = Get Rich Quick Idiots drove oil to $147 barrel

ALL of us Oil Guys were sitting over here going what in the H$#!! is going on with the price of oil!!!!!

Greed....Greed...Greed is what took us for a ride

I am glad this is a reality check for our Government Gurus and Loan Experts (and us) now if we could get a head pulling machine to pull their heads out maybe they would learn something this time around...

You can't loan money to a lazy man that does not work and expect him to pay it back - they have a saying here in Nigeria: "NO Food For The Lazy Man" this orinates from Proverbs in the Bible and it is all over Nigeria on cars, trucks, stickers, hats, shirts...this needs to be all over the US of A so people can see it and heed it...
You can't get rich over night it takes hard work and years of it along with dedication
You don't have to prejudice loaning out money to folks, but if they don't have a job and are using a Credit Card for the downpayment then DON"T loan them any money!!!

Can't wait till they vote Abortionist and Same Sex Marriage advocate Obama into office - what a bunch of Crap!!!!
Sorry for the rant....we might as well get ready for these anti-drilling, anti-atv idiots to be elected...sad but true....

Watch these videos to see the proof:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No matter what I use I ALWAYS save room for Lucas :)

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Didnt know if you guys heard this, but I always heard using any type of automotive oil is bad to use(on atvs, dirtbikes,etc)because it contains different properties that are not good for atvs, dirtbikes,etc notably since we run a wet clutch system unlike autos. So then theres a greater chance of damaging clutch plates among other things. Just a side note really, but feel free to correct me if Im wrong. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Didnt know if you guys heard this, but I always heard using any type of automotive oil is bad to use(on atvs, dirtbikes,etc)because it contains different properties that are not good for atvs, dirtbikes,etc notably since we run a wet clutch system unlike autos. So then theres a greater chance of damaging clutch plates among other things. Just a side note really, but feel free to correct me if Im wrong. :)
It's okay to run the oils as long as they aren't "energy conserving" (just check for the round energy conserving label on the bottle), those are the one's that contain the friction modifiers that make the clutch slip.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Cool, learn something new everyday.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts