KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planing a new intake for the ktm's
1st i don't like foam filter's and i dint what to spend 150$ on the kn kit

i had a 2004 Polaris predator and that ATV also had the same air box configuration
(sucking from the top of the box)

heres is a pics of a Polaris predator with a Honda civic ram air intake (modded to fit)

this is what i am planing, it CAN fit but might have to go with a 2" or 2,5" aluminum tube or ovalize the 3" tube to fit under the seat

so intake tube in 3" and the filter is 6"at the base and 5"top 6"long....belive me those filter flows ALLOT!!!!

what do you think

DRIVER....i need your input

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
that looks sweet...

of course looks have nothing to do with function..

i suppose if it works well then it looks like a good idea but how much better will it be then stock?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know the filter in this pics is ALOT smaler than the one i an refering

you now thw ktm air box is huge!!!!so we can put a big univeral ram air filter they are BIG!!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I was thinkin the SAME thing! I have a friend that works at Flowmaster Exhaust R&D here in town and has a madrel press there. I know I could have him bend and press me some chiz that would work. I am just waiting for the bike to show. I dont though, the FCI intake would be lighter and I am SURE it will do some damage to the dyno numbers! lol All of these idea's, yet no bike is killing me!

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Walty, looks really nice and functional to boot.

I think the flow restriction in the stock setup is due to the backfire mesh and turning the flow 90 degrees. Bike guys claim 1 - 1.5 hp when using the twin air fliter setup that gets rid of the backfire mesh ? A K&N should increase the flow (or decrese the restriction to flow) due to the larger filter surface area.

Best way is to test the stock setup on a flow bench then flow test your setup and see how much flow inprovement there is. I'm sure there are guys on here with the experince in flow testing this kinda stuff.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have LTZ470's K&N intake in hand, Driver and I'll be testing soon... Thx. LTZ 470!!!!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Testing on the SX and XC?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My suggestion would be to try a stock predator tube with rath adaptor and filter.

Funny story. I used to own a predator and tested like 5 different intake designs. The problem with straight tube designs is jetting becomes very hard. Bottom end comes on hard with your intake design but topend will fall off. I found the stock tube with rath setup to be the best. If you have the stock tube i can test it on my machine. If not I have a friend or two with preddys and Ill hit them up. Good thinking. I had talked to walt already about using a predator intake.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My suggestion would be to try a stock predator tube with rath adaptor and filter.

Funny story. I used to own a predator and tested like 5 different intake designs. The problem with straight tube designs is jetting becomes very hard. Bottom end comes on hard with your intake design but topend will fall off. I found the stock tube with rath setup to be the best. If you have the stock tube i can test it on my machine. If not I have a friend or two with preddys and Ill hit them up. Good thinking. I had talked to walt already about using a predator intake.
i have a stock intake off a 06 pred i also have a irs outlaw one and outlaw mxr to if you want any of the parts i could send them you way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts