KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i've had a few issues with my quad, nothing major, needed new hubs, tore my boot b/t the carb and engine, a few other small things..so today though..

i'm riding ditches, i had been riding for about an hour, i'm on my way home and i go to cross this road, once i'm on the other side i go to shift into second and it just dies on me...

so i go to push the start button and it's not doing anything...just making this clicking sound..

my lights are working, but they're dimming when i push the button, so i'm thinking...hmm must be the battery..i get home(mom brought the truck)

i put the battery on the charger..decided to swap the battery out of our utility quad (cuz i knew that one was good) and see if it starts up..i switch everything, and the machine does the same thing...lights turn on, they dim when i hit the start, and it just clicks..

so i know it's not the battery...i checked all the fuses under the hood..they all looked good..i didnt check the mian fuse though cuz if that was fried then nothing would work..

so i'm guessing something is wrong with the starter? anyone else have any idea's??

·
Registered
52 Posts
well i've had a few issues with my quad, nothing major, needed new hubs, tore my boot b/t the carb and engine, a few other small things..so today though..

i'm riding ditches, i had been riding for about an hour, i'm on my way home and i go to cross this road, once i'm on the other side i go to shift into second and it just dies on me...

so i go to push the start button and it's not doing anything...just making this clicking sound..

my lights are working, but they're dimming when i push the button, so i'm thinking...hmm must be the battery..i get home(mom brought the truck)

i put the battery on the charger..decided to swap the battery out of our utility quad (cuz i knew that one was good) and see if it starts up..i switch everything, and the machine does the same thing...lights turn on, they dim when i hit the start, and it just clicks..

so i know it's not the battery...i checked all the fuses under the hood..they all looked good..i didnt check the mian fuse though cuz if that was fried then nothing would work..

so i'm guessing something is wrong with the starter? anyone else have any idea's??

there are 2 fuses by the battery a 20amp main fuse and a 10amp for the starter relay, try checking the 10amp one.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
  • Test battery for at least 12.6 volts...the Polaris RZR won't even run less than 11.6 it just dies...it really sounds like a lack of voltage to me...
  • Check that you don't have a cylinder full of anything water/fuel/dropped valve etc...I know that sounds stupid, but I would pull the plug and turn it over it, should turn over easily with the plug out...that cures those two items
  • Make sure your boot isn't torn anywhere between before or after carb and you ingested anything into the cylinder
  • The starter is very expensive if you buy it for the 525 XC ATV...I actually crossed the part number over to a 2001-2003 bike and same part number but like $80 cheaper...I'll try and find the link for you...Good Luck Dude...the way you ride is awesome...hope it is something simple!
  • Clutch could be locked up also check and make sure it will roll in neutral
OK I remember what I did ...I went to Polaris 525 "S" partys fiche and they are $200 instead of $260...I am sure you could find free shipping from someone on the Polaris (KTM) Starter...
http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/...14/Polaris.aspx

This link says Out of Stock but you might get them to order for the same price...
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem.php?...p;groupId=49199

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

she doesnt roll in gear, it was all locked up when we tried to bump start it....

it rolls in nuetral but she's locked up in gear...

i'm pretty sad right now..i'm done for the rest of the year....

lets hope it's not gonna be anything really major...

i'll keep you guys posted..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing with my outlaw 525s a few months ago...
i will check out what was the problem and come back to you with an answer...

·
Registered
66 Posts

For some reason your engine is stuck, is there enaugh oil on the motor?? if not, your engine is game over

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the oil sight is half full of oil..which is normal...i know it had oil in it..but i guess i'll find out once they tear it apart

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
apparently i need a new crank, theres a few other things i need too...i havent looked into it yet

my dealer said there gonna work real hard at trying to get at least free parts from KTM, if not the whole thing covered

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Good luck bro!
Sorry to hear it.
Get an upgraded crank while your in there, if possible. The stokcer is weak espicially the pin and rod.
We have some solutions if you need any help

·
Registered
426 Posts
:blink: That sucks! I was glad to see you got one too, (if you remember me from the atvconnection forums) but it sucks that you're having these problems... My '07 Outlaw went 140 hrs w/ no problems in the 2007 season and I've only got 40hrs on my '08 KTM and have had some things (break pads, ball joints, and intake manifold) but not like this! Good luck dude :S

·
Registered
68 Posts
sorry to ropen this old forum but i have about the same prob XtremeSkier has only my lights wont do a thing all my fuses are ok and i can shift gears and turn my wheels in the gears i do need alot of force to turn em but everything seems normal even my batery is ok but when i try to start i get the klicking sound and before my bike died on me i had alot of noise and almosth no speed or anything
any ideas of what it may be ?
thx guys

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dang dude..that's wierd...

your sure ur rears aren't locked up???

can u bump start it??

sounds like what happened to me cept mine didnt make any noise when it siezed..it just shut off and i was like wtf when it happened..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dont think its my rear thats locked up cuz i put it in first gear and with some forse i could turn my rear axle around some verry weird stuff would not know how to bump start cuz i dont think my starter gives a spark :s

1 - 16 of 16 Posts