KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

Weight differences between Stock,Pro X and Carillo Connecting Rods

7K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Oki 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share the some details I found on the 450/505sx con rods.

Pro-X 505SX 291 grams

Carrillo rod 268 grams

Stock rod???

Anyone have weight numbers on the stocker? I haven't pulled my stock rod out yet for measurement.

23grams between pro x and carrillo.I think that's a nice amount of rotating weight that can be eliminated by going with Carrillo and should help with the longevity of the lower rod bearing.

Good day gang!

#3 ·
Yes indeed they are the top of the rod opening/pin diameter is 20mm for 505 and 19mm for 450.

But the weight of both rods is the same according to the Carrillo catalog.

It would be great if you can provide the stocker weight.Thanks!

#5 ·
Done deal..

#6 ·
i have a 505 rod at home, but I'm a thousand plus miles away.......... from memory there was bugger all difference stock vs pro x. to get the true picture you need to wiegh the rods end for end. change in weight at the big end vs small end.

Whilst it all helps the piston weight has a far bigger effect as it's all hanging off the end so to speak.

#7 ·
So two sets of scales with each end of the rod right in the very middle of each load cell. Ill see if I can manage that. Failing that you'll need 1 scale and a surface the same height. May even be able to use a small bit of bluetack so the rod sits on the narrow end.

#8 ·
Still do not have weight on the stock con rod..My builder pulled the stocker and Im not sure what he did with it..

Anyone have the stock rod weight?

Thanks

#10 ·
Cool,the reason why I'm looking into this is because after the rebuild my motor vibrates more than it used to..My builder told me they balanced the crank but I'm not so sure.A perfectly balanced crank/rod/piston should not have as much vibration as I do now.

#12 ·
Possible...is it easy to get to? Can I find instructions in the rebuild manual on how to get it lined up correctly?

#16 ·
Thanks for the replies,I have the ktm TDC tool.I will look into this...

#17 ·
well the lighter rod will have altered the balance % for a start and not necessarily in a good way it would seem ?

Secondly "balancing" all depends on the balance factor used or % value as it sometime referred to, this is critical, needs to be around 62 - 63% for a big single, this is way different to what allot of car / multi cylinder guys would do, (50%)………….

Engine balance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crankshaft Balance Factors

#18 ·
Agree Craig,according to another builder..anytime you add or subtract more than 20grams from the stock config,the entire assembly should be rebalanced..I'm wondering how much weight was taken off or added by going with the Carillo rod,from there I can figure out what's what..

#19 · (Edited)
Hopefully I should have my carrillo (450) rod next week, just really worried how I can get the crank balanced.. cause I dont trust any workshop in my area..

Been looking around I found this great video:
[video=youtube;Jn50F_yKW0s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn50F_yKW0s[/video]

Ok, it says harley, but the guy explains a lot of stuff

My goal is to understand how it balanced, measure the conrod at each end (I have the means to do it), calculate the weight, make it, and give it to the guy to balance the crank.

Only that way I can be sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.