KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 11, 2009

Dear Brian:

Knowing of your interest in public lands issues, I wanted to make you aware of a victory we had today in the U.S. Congress. S.22, the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, was defeated in the U.S. House of Representatives.

This legislation is a package containing over 150 individual measures introduced in Congress over the past few years, creating 80 new federal land wilderness designations consisting of more than 2 million acres in nine different states. 700,000 acres are located in California, in the eastern Sierra and San Gabriel Mountains, Riverside County, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Joshua Tree National Parks. This legislation also designates various rivers with "wild" and "scenic" status, including portions of the San Diego River that could result in restrictions to outdoor activities such as horse riding, hiking, fishing and rock-climbing in certain portions of our district.

S. 22 was considered under a procedure known as "suspension of the rules," which requires that a two-thirds majority of those present vote in favor of the bill in order for it to pass. I am pleased to report that the measure did not receive this two-thirds majority. I along with, 143 of my colleagues opposed this legislation and therefore it failed by a vote of 282-144.

It is uncertain what will happen next. This legislation could be brought up under regular order and considered again. Please be assured that I will continue to follow this issue closely and continue to fight for everyone's right to enjoy the outdoors.

Sincerely,

Duncan Hunter
Member of Congress

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hell Yeah. Thats what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Good, lets just hope no other crazy bills arise and have even the slightest chance of being passed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts