KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all rode my 525 today for the first time loved it but after about an hour i missed a gear change, tried again noticed something was wrong looked down and the gear selection lever was gone, all i can conclude is the bolt vibrated out so please all check that bolt and while were on it has anyone had problems with anthing else loosening

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
i know i shouldnt be laughuing but that is funny chit right there

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

please explain to me how my misfortune and respect for fellow owners is humerous that is the whole point to forums like this to help each other with problems ideas and information, for the simple check of this information im giving you for free i could be saving you $90 + p/h as you wont loose your lever, and what is worse is that the shaft the lever mounts on was damaged as well and if it were any worse i would have to leave my bike at the dealers for a month while they tear the engine apart just to change the shaft that the shifter sits on so again i appolagise for doing you a favour and saving you hundreds if not thousands!!

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
i want to make sure that the posts in the important information area pertain just to that, important information. this section was created as a service from one member to another, so please use it as that.

one last reminder; no one's mis-fortune is funny at all... i appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Take it down a notch guys, can't someone think something is funny anymore. I thought it was funny too because it happened to me not this quad but another. Anyways

Thanks for the heads up. Before I rode my 525 I moved the shift lever and also noticed it was loose to begin with. So do check that bolt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the dealer told me to check that bolt after my first ride. and he was right it was coming loose. also check the bolts on the barring carrier two of mine were loose. but i still love this quad....

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Lost my whole gear shifter at Glamis about 2 miles from the RV (LTZ470)...rode in second gear all the way back...thank God it was in second when it fell off!...I don't think it is possible to find anything after you drop it in the sand...my wife says you can but I don't believe her...

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey ltz470 if your wife says you can find stuff in the sand take her ring and hide it in the sand and see if she finds it and time how long it takes to find it sit in the shade with a refreshing drink and smile lol

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
hey ltz470 if your wife says you can find stuff in the sand take her ring and hide it in the sand and see if she finds it and time how long it takes to find it sit in the shade with a refreshing drink and smile lol
LOL...you got it!!!!..."refreshing drink" more like beverage of choice
or two...one thing easy for me to find in sand is nails in my tires!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lost my whole gear shifter at Glamis about 2 miles from the RV (LTZ470)...rode in second gear all the way back...thank God it was in second when it fell off!...I don't think it is possible to find anything after you drop it in the sand...my wife says you can but I don't believe her...
Here's one for ya...I still don't believe it to this day...last summer my 2 boys and I met some friends out in Glamis for a summer night ride...kind of a LTR450HQ thing...andways we are riding back from Olds about midnight and my youngest boy loses a gas cap somewhere on sand highway going back to Vendor Row where we were camped...

Yea he got up the next day and FOUND the damn thing before we went riding...

Here's another one...we went out to find the "Troll Hut" over Presidents Weekend...took the GPS...found the hut and we were riding back when I almost ate s**t flying through the "Rain Forest"...stopped and my 2 boys came pulling alongside...the youngest notices my GPS fell off the bar clamp...he looks back about 20 feet and notices the GPS laying in the sand...

That kid can find ANYTHING...

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Here's one for ya...I still don't believe it to this day...last summer my 2 boys and I met some friends out in Glamis for a summer night ride...kind of a LTR450HQ thing...andways we are riding back from Olds about midnight and my youngest boy loses a gas cap somewhere on sand highway going back to Vendor Row where we were camped...

Yea he got up the next day and FOUND the damn thing before we went riding...

Here's another one...we went out to find the "Troll Hut" over Presidents Weekend...took the GPS...found the hut and we were riding back when I almost ate s**t flying through the "Rain Forest"...stopped and my 2 boys came pulling alongside...the youngest notices my GPS fell off the bar clamp...he looks back about 20 feet and notices the GPS laying in the sand...

That kid can find ANYTHING...
We need to take him out to the Lost Dutchmans Goldmine in Arizona! He's better than a metal detector!
tell him if he finds my gear shifter for my Zuk to hold on to it...we'll meet up sooner or later...

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey all rode my 525 today for the first time loved it but after about an hour i missed a gear change, tried again noticed something was wrong looked down and the gear selection lever was gone, all i can conclude is the bolt vibrated out so please all check that bolt and while were on it has anyone had problems with anthing else loosening
Its a common practice on KTM bikes to check all the bolts when new and after a short ride. Loctite bolts if needed,If the atv's motors are like the bikes the shifting shaft has a taper on it.When the bolt loosens just alittle bit the seperation causes mis-shifts and eventually a lost shifter.I've been through this with the bikes. Good luck,hope to have a KTM ATV soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had my 08 525xc since Nov. 08. In the year and a half since then I have had to replace the following parts:

The rear caliper bracket twice (once under warranty once not)
All four ball joints (broke both bottoms and both tops came out of the a-arms)
Both rear hubs due to the nuts backing off and stripping out the splines
The gas tank when the bolts spun in the tank
The upper steering stem bushing twice
The gear shifter and shift shaft due to the bolt coming loose and breaking off
The battery
The positive battery cable when it grounded out against the frame and nearly burned the whole bike down

All in all ,I love the bike, but it sure has had quite a few flaws. If you havent had some of these problems yet, be on the look out. I race harescrambles with the bike, and use it to practice on. otherwise it gets ridden very little. As most racers do it get a good going over before each race, so it's not a lack of maintenence that is causing the failures. just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You can buy a nice break-away shifter from Pit Posse for $19.99, and its even KTM Orange. Looks sweet, and fits my foot better than the stock one did.
Its a great shifter.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
in regards to losing parts on the trail, once a bud of mine on a shee that was set up for flat track before he got it, had no air box, bolt on filter... the filter fell off lol, well, we all get back to camp, and outta no where, someone starts laughing " hey some idiots air filter fell off, i ran it over lol" then about 10 of us say the same thing... then he looks where his air filter used to be, then says he noticed it seemed to be running like schit, and that his air filter is missing. that was funny and crappy all at the same time, next day it burned down.... same guy next ride after rebuilding it, were at the restaurant and we all smell gas, he starts explaining that in the whoops his gas cap popped off, blew mix all over his crotch and legs, and that he found the cap, but pissed on it cause it was buried in sand... that guy had bad luck with things falling off.

it sucks when these things happen, but you sometimes have to find humor in everything. (or at least try to)

i do plan on loctiting some stuff while im re-prepping my 450xc when it gets here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts