KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
may quick research was inconclusive. i cross referenced the cdi units that the vortex is compatible with and none were the same as the atv. but that doesnt necessarily mean that it wont work, it surely deserves a call to duncan to see if it will. i am sure in the coming days/weeks/months a compatible ignition system will available for the atv's!

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I know this is a old topic but I decided to dig it up from the grave.

I spoke to Duncan today and the Vortex is available for the 450/525 XC. They said it eliminates the TPS :D and the rev limiter can be programed.
Well it's $450-500 compared to the $200 for a bike CDI but you get the bennefits of 10 ignition curves and the proper rev limit.

Has anyone tried it yet?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I know this is a old topic but I decided to dig it up from the grave.

I spoke to Duncan today and the Vortex is available for the 450/525 XC. They said it eliminates the TPS :D and the rev limiter can be programed.
Well it's 0-500 compared to the 0 for a bike CDI but you get the bennefits of 10 ignition curves and the proper rev limit.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Yep kiwi has one. Says he loves it! His is on the sx but says he loves itl.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Add over $100 to that price for anyone to program it. That just puts it way out of reach for most of us.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Add over 0 to that price for anyone to program it. That just puts it way out of reach for most of us.

It comes programed from Duncan, I don't see any real reason to change it unless doing major engine mods.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
if it has 10 maps, and the same limiter as stock, then i wouldnt see a reason to reprogram it imo, unless its used on a crazy build.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
EDIT: At first Vortex said it did not replace the TPS, I clairified "just the button" and all is good. The button goes away. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Exactly, the $100 reprogram is needed to get the rev limiter down to around 10,000. It comes set at around 11,000. That will gernade a 525.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
now, when you guys say tps, are you referring to the throttle position sensor, or the throttle bypass safety bs?

cause the tps on the carb actually serves a good function and tells the cdi what position the throttle is at...

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
now, when you guys say tps, are you referring to the throttle position sensor, or the throttle bypass safety bs?

cause the tps on the carb actually serves a good function and tells the cdi what position the throttle is at...

Well good news again, after explaning some stuff Vortex said YES is does eliminate the button! The TPS stays functional because it is needed for the maps in the CDI. The Rev limit is 10,650 on all 10 settings.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Duncan can set the limiter to where ever you want, it's a 5 min job. When I bought mine from Vortex they set the limiter to 11,700 for me (thats what the KTM SX motard factory box cuts at.....) this is for the SX okay !

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Here is the map settings for the XC, I think I might pick one up.

X10 CDI SETTINGS
KTM450 / 525XC 09
SPECIAL FOR QUAD

X10 Map File Name: km4fx7q1.saf

Handlebar Switch Position X10 Switch Position Switch Map Name Power Type Rev Limit RPM
"MAP 1" 1 Map 1 Best Overall Power 10,650
"MAP X10" 2 Map 2 Traction 1 10,650
"MAP X10" 3 Map 3 Traction 2 10,650
"MAP X10" 4 Map 4 Traction 3 10,650
"MAP X10" 5 Map 5 Linear Power 1 10,650
"MAP X10" 6 Map 6 Linear Power 2 10,650
"MAP X10" 7 Map 7 Hi Comp 35DBTDC 10,650
"MAP X10" 8 Map 8 Hi Comp 37DBTDC 10,650
"MAP X10" 9 Map 9 Standard Map (Grey Wire) 10,650
"MAP X10" 0 Map 10 Standard Map 10,650

JETTING AS TESTED
MAIN: 165
NEEDLE: STD
CLIP: STD
PILOT (STD): 45

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Duncan can set the limiter to where ever you want, it's a 5 min job. When I bought mine from Vortex they set the limiter to 11,700 for me (thats what the KTM SX motard factory box cuts at.....) this is for the SX okay !

Kiwi,

How do you like the Vortex? Worth the $$?

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
i want one to.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i just dunno about the 10,650 rpm limit...

·
Registered
769 Posts
OK guys don't shot me but I had Coles (LTZ470) for months and never got it on the dyno, so I could have told you guys what the gains are but no, I never got it on the dyno, I know, I'm a slacker

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Someone called Duncan about lowering the rev limiter, and they were told it was around $100 to change it. Thats BS, but another way to make a quick dollar I guess. They can keep them for that......

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK guys don't shot me but I had Coles (LTZ470) for months and never got it on the dyno, so I could have told you guys what the gains are but no, I never got it on the dyno, I know, I'm a slacker
Don't worry Walt, Travis will dyno it on the 637 soon...I think he is going to use a stock motor for the dyno prior to pulling the 637 maybe we can get him to test the Vortex on it also?

Help Travis!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts