KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys

I've had several poor starts, on the line, click up into 2nd, can feel a mechanical engage, feed out the clutch, still in neutral. Seems I've got to really stomp on it to get it up into second gear on the gate, feed the clutch a couple of times to make sure it's in, sounds easy but with the 10/5 board up and things are getting tense.......

:(

·
Registered
51 Posts
we use a 15 /10 board here so it shouldnt be a problem .... hehe

kidding aside i try to pull up to the gate in second and leave it in second as i have had the same issue on my old xc

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we sit on the gate for awhile, engine runup sign comes up, i'm idling in neutral, check helmet board up, then thumbs up all okay, then it's all action from here upshift into second, clunk okay, feed clutch to get the feel for the engage point......nothing, f***K88 austrian c**p.. try it again clunk up again, and again ........... 10/5 boards on the turn by now...........

other problem is it won't hot start in gear clutch in, tried that................. just not enough grunt to light the fire with the clutch drag it seems......... needs a bigger battery.............

grrrrr this thing is really starting to p*** me off..............

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Check and make sure you dont have to much free play first, and if thats ok you have a warped friction or steel plate. It makes it hard to shift, start in gear, and find neutral. Just put a clutch kit in it and it should be fine.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check the clutch pack......... only has 7 hours on it........

Just been down and started it, clutch is definitely not disengaging fully and hence the clunky up shift. I presume a warped steel takes up free play and makes thing drag right......

Thinking back It's always been a bit of a prick for this especially when cold from day one, snick it into gear cold and it bites / stalls. I always let it warm up with a fast idle for 2 -3 minutes and plenty of blips on the throttle to get everything warmed up, seems to help, but it definitely isn't disengaging enough.

Is there any manual adjustment on the clutch free play / engagement point ??

Okay: pulled the clutch. looks fine, steel look good, no coloration at all, flat surface, no visible warp. or do I need to run around with a feeler gage ?

I pumped the clutch unit in and out several times to full travel all working fine

Bleed the clutch cylinder ?

still not disengaging fully.............

or is it a case of a dud clutch, throw it and get a new one ? just one of those things.......... :(

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
ive had the same problems, also check your shift forks, they could be bent, mine turned out to be a warped clutch plate and a leaky clutch line, new line+new friction plates= smooth consistent clutch

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bleed the clutch unit and this helped, at least it engages without the dogs in the box crunching hard.

My dealer recommended bleeding the clutch a couple of times from new, they normally do it during new machine setup reagrdless.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I read some where with the Magura if you pull out the Mineral oil and run ATF(decron mercon) I think that that solves it. I think thats what I read

·
Registered
272 Posts
I haven't tried any second gear starts yet (haven't been a race with the KTM) so I do not have direct experience there, but the problems you are all discussing are relevant. I know hydraulic clutches are supposed to be self-adjusting but mine consistently will not fully disengage as I will be sitting in neutral on a flat surface and the quad will start to pull forward. Is there something I should be checking or adjusting to fix this? I've also noticed that the problem worsens if the clutch lever adjuster wheel is even the slightest bit turned in (lever closer to the bar). Therefore, I have to get used to a longer reach than normal just so the clutch disengages. I'm still afraid that the clutch is dragging and may lead to premature wear :eek:

Also, off topic I know, but does anyone elses' chain seem to keep working itself loose? I swear I tighten mine to spec and after a couple of hours on the track, it is way to loose. Any suggestions? Is it still stretching from new or is there another issue? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts