KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have trouble removing the fuel cap on there bikes? The factory cap was hard to turn and it leaked fuel from around the button. I picked up the billet aluminum cap and it helped not having to hold the button down to turn it but it is still very difficult to remove. did we get a bad tank or is this normal of KTM's?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also use the billet ktm cap and it to was near impossible to unscrew without a glove on. I lightly smeared some vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the retainer balls, much better.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Anyone else have trouble removing the fuel cap on there bikes? The factory cap was hard to turn and it leaked fuel from around the button. I picked up the billet aluminum cap and it helped not having to hold the button down to turn it but it is still very difficult to remove. did we get a bad tank or is this normal of KTM's?

I was haveing same problem, and the local dealer could'nt even figure it out. They tried changeing tanks, caps, none of which worked.

Then factory rep came in and seems to have solved issue, He said that if ya listen to the click when cap is installed with button towards seat it is distinkly different than when it is pointed towards the sides or top.

Low and behold he was correct, and no more leak, and cap is easier to remove when installed with tab pointing towards seat.

Any other way and ya seem to have the leaking, and cap removal issues, at least that was the way it was for me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was haveing same problem, and the local dealer could'nt even figure it out. They tried changeing tanks, caps, none of which worked.

Then factory rep came in and seems to have solved issue, He said that if ya listen to the click when cap is installed with button towards seat it is distinkly different than when it is pointed towards the sides or top.

Low and behold he was correct, and no more leak, and cap is easier to remove when installed with tab pointing towards seat.

Any other way and ya seem to have the leaking, and cap removal issues, at least that was the way it was for me.
I was at my dealer over the weekend and tried to remove the gas cap from the machines that were sitting on the show room floor and they were very hard to open the first time but after that they were very easy to remove. I'm going to take a closer look at my tank to see if something is causing it before i get my dealer to replace the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I was at my dealer over the weekend and tried to remove the gas cap from the machines that were sitting on the show room floor and they were very hard to open the first time but after that they were very easy to remove. I'm going to take a closer look at my tank to see if something is causing it before i get my dealer to replace the fuel tank.
Are ya makeing sure that tab is pointing toward the seat??

That seem to be the key according to the factory rep.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are ya makeing sure that tab is pointing toward the seat??

That seem to be the key according to the factory rep.
Update: We were using the bullet aluminum cap so no tab. Anyway I figured what the hell lets put the factory cap back on, now it was a pain in the ass to get on and off before and yes we had the tab pointing the correct way. Anyway now the factory cap works great no problems at all. We will see if it starts to leak fuel again tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts