KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This MAY be a dumb question, but please bear with me. I am getting ready to help with the assembly of my friends 2008 525XC. He is getting the head back from porting and we are also installing the Hotcams camshaft. Already have the bearings and decompressor/gear installed on the new cam. No problems there. (besides that PITA decomp spring) Unfortunately, when we split the cam chain, we did not put the motor at TDC. I am sure this has happened before.

Now here's my question: How can we put the crankshaft at TDC and know that it is at EXACT TDC? Is there a mark on the flywheel or something we should be looking for?

I am used to working on the Honda Unicam motors and they have an inspection hole on the right side of the motor with a mark on a crank gear that needs to be lined up before proceeding to setting the camshaft timing. I know very little about there KTM RFS motors, but am a very capable mechanic.

Thanks for any replies.

-Pat

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
This MAY be a dumb question, but please bear with me. I am getting ready to help with the assembly of my friends 2008 525XC. He is getting the head back from porting and we are also installing the Hotcams camshaft. Already have the bearings and decompressor/gear installed on the new cam. No problems there. (besides that PITA decomp spring) Unfortunately, when we split the cam chain, we did not put the motor at TDC. I am sure this has happened before.

Now here's my question: How can we put the crankshaft at TDC and know that it is at EXACT TDC? Is there a mark on the flywheel or something we should be looking for?

I am used to working on the Honda Unicam motors and they have an inspection hole on the right side of the motor with a mark on a crank gear that needs to be lined up before proceeding to setting the camshaft timing. I know very little about there KTM RFS motors, but am a very capable mechanic.

Thanks for any replies.

-Pat
Surely you have a KTM Manual? It will show you the screw to take out and then KTM makes an alignment screw to lock the crankshaft at TDC...I used a screw driver but recommend the lock screw...
On the Rotor there is a chunk of metal (tab of metal) that sticks out further than the rest and it will be just past the top of the electrical pick-up that goes to the CDI so that will give you an idea...

I.E, if you put the chunk of metal (or if you a tab of metal) that is sticking up higher off the rotor exactly at the Electriacl Pick Up Sensor (In the fire position) then I am sure the piston would be just below TDC where it would fire when the engine is running...

Hope this makes sense...it didn't to me... :blink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surely you have a KTM Manual? It will show you the screw to take out and then KTM makes an alignment screw to lock the crankshaft at TDC...I used a screw driver but recommend the lock screw...
On the Rotor there is a chunk of metal (tab of metal) that sticks out further than the rest and it will be just past the top of the electrical pick-up that goes to the CDI so that will give you an idea...

I.E, if you put the chunk of metal (or if you a tab of metal) that is sticking up higher off the rotor exactly at the Electriacl Pick Up Sensor (In the fire position) then I am sure the piston would be just below TDC where it would fire when the engine is running...

Hope this makes sense...it didn't to me... :blink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you, and yes, that did actually make sense. By "rotor" I am sure you mean flywheel. That's just what us Honda guys call it. As far as the manual, I personally do not have one. I believe the owner has one. Everything else besides setting TDC is pretty straight forward.

Your post helped more than you know. Thank you very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts