KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 KTM525XC Getting the head and carb ported and also going with a stage 1 Hotcam.

Already have everything torn down. Followed all procedures pretty well except for putting the motor at TDC before breaking the timing chain.

Well, the timing chain was broken with the motor about 25% away from BDC. :mellow: How much trouble am I looking at trying to get this thing timed in?

The best solution I have come up with is try and pull the flywheel and get the motor to TDC while keeping the timing chain away from the crank gear. Is this even possible?

Another solution I have thought of is to buy two "link kits" and just put the timing chain back together and then get the piston to TDC and then break the chain AGAIN up top so I can get the top end in time.

As of right now, when we put the piston at TDC, the spot where the link needs to be replaced will be sitting in the bottom end...

Thoughts???

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
No worries.
Just set the crank at TDC eaasliy found by making sure piston is at top and the crank holding tool goes in the groove on the crank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts