KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 those guys who have put the honda 450 thumb throttle on the ktm, could you give me some info on how 2 do it. Can not find the links for that. Thanks. Big B

·
Premium Member
522 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The throttle cable remains the same.
The only part you need to do something about is the limit switch in the KTM housing.
If you have a late model Honda throttle, just re solder the wires from the Honda limit switch into the KTM plug.
If the Honda throttle you have does not have an in built switch, you will have to go fro an after market switch.

http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/invision/ind...=honda+throttle
http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/invision/ind...ottle&st=20
Thanks for the links and the info. I was looking at a 2008 honda 450 and it looks like it has the limit switch on it also.. So i'm taking a 07 or 08 would work ? Big B

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I have the 08 Honda on mine.
I just cut the wires above the plug under the cowl & soldered the Honda wires straight on.
There's only 2 wires & it doesn't matter which way they go.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you recall what the cost was, and also what did you ask for. Did it come with all you needed, ( cable, etc. ) Sorry about all the questions. Thanks Big B

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Cost was nothing. It came off a mates bike that he put a Honda 90 throttle on.
Everything was together with about a 3 foot length of wire hanging out of the throttle from the limit switch.
You keep your standard throttle cable from the KTM.
Do a search on e-bay for 450R throttle. The other one that will work is the 400EX Honda throttle.
Have a look at the picture on e-bay & see if the throttle they are selling has a black wire coming out of it similar to the KTM throttle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. I'll hit ya up when I get one and need some advice on putting it on. Big B

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I Stopped at my local honda dealer 2 find out about the thumb throttle assembly and of course you just cant buy the hole thing. The guy suggested using the moose easy pull throttle. It has the wires that the ktm has. But not sure if it would work. Thanks Big B

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
brian check e bay they have them buy it now for around 50 dollers

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
i got the honda one

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok. What year is the one you bought.

I got an '08 450R Honda throttle on my 505 SX. It was super easy. Take a sewing needle and hold up the plastic clip on the honda connector and the wire comes right out. Do the same with the KTM connector and then put the two wires coming from the honda and put them in the KTM connector. It plugs right in and works great with a much better throttle angle and softer pull. I found a brand new honda throttle on ebay for 48 bucks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok. What year is the one you bought.
Sorry I forgot to answer your question.... a honda 450r throttle '06 and up works. The FCR carb is why you have to have the micro switch. The switch cuts the ignition if the carb hangs wide open. The only other way is to put a SX-F ignition box on and any throttle you want...but that gets expensive.

good luck
rrbaby

·
Registered
85 Posts
why you change the thumb throttle for a honda thumb throttle?
The stock KTM throttle is super stiff and the angle of the lever points straight back towards the rider. On the '09 XC they have moved the angle of the lever 10 degrees closer to the grip which should help. I guess I am just use to the honda feel since I have been riding on one for the past 20 years.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just shaved the bump stop to adjust the lever. Then ride so my thumb gets stronger, works for me and it was free to.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anybody know if the 2009 xc is any different than the 2009 xc Thumb throttle. I was at my local dealer and it seemed that the 2009 throttle is closer 2 the grip than the 2008. Also i've seen some comments on the 2009 sx that the thumb throttle is better than the 2008 xc. Is that true. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Does anybody know if the 2009 xc is any different than the 2009 xc Thumb throttle. I was at my local dealer and it seemed that the 2009 throttle is closer 2 the grip than the 2008. Also i've seen some comments on the 2009 sx that the thumb throttle is better than the 2008 xc. Is that true. Thanks for any input.
I have heard that is the only thing they are changing on the quad. It is going to be closer to the grip.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts