KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Awesome. All great info. I agree with how particular some of the aspects of the bike. It doesn’t bother me one but. Adds a sense of personal accomplishment to the build/bikes that I’m sure make them that much better.

I was able to tear the motor back down tonight and go over everything. It looks like based of johns cc work the piston will work just fine without any clearance issues. I checked squish at both 3 and 9 o’clock and both are within spec. I also clayed that area of the piston and just placed everything together without a gasket and still no contact at all.

I have also been turning the motor over by hand quite a bit over the last week while everything was torqued down and there is no sign of any contact at all.

All of this doesn’t really matter to much due to heat expansion but the squish is where we want it and that’s all that matters.

John doesn’t have a lot of experience with these motors compared to say Travis or others around the country. But he know how to flow a head beautifully and build reliable motors. I attached a few pictures of his head work below. I have nothing to compare it to but all in all it was a great experience working with him.

Let me know your thoughts. Also got my tires mounted up. Just need to air them up.

Not sure if any of you have run the cst pulse but it’s the only tire other than sc3 or prowedges that put down my 7mills power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've replaced/rebuild a couple clutch slaves on the machines we have, and I've gotten them to bleed fairly quick by just forcing the fluid from the bottom up with the syringe and adaptor nipple. So it may or may not be a headache for you. On the rear axle nut I always cinch it down pretty good, then start backing it off little by little until the axle just rolls free. Since the carrier uses tapered roller bearings you just need to keep the slack out of them like trailer wheel bearings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've replaced/rebuild a couple clutch slaves on the machines we have, and I've gotten them to bleed fairly quick by just forcing the fluid from the bottom up with the syringe and adaptor nipple. So it may or may not be a headache for you. On the rear axle nut I always cinch it down pretty good, then start backing it off little by little until the axle just rolls free. Since the carrier uses tapered roller bearings you just need to keep the slack out of them like trailer wheel bearings.
Sounds good. Yea let’s see what happens with the clutch. Either way it goes, it seems like you guys provided a few options.

Waiting on a new gaskets and my water pump from Travis to get the motor back together.

Seat cover and sx seat just came in today. I’ll probably spend some time tonight getting it put on.

Still waiting on a bunch of OEM stuff from rocky mt and babbits and that should bring me
Home with parts

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quad97, what did you use to rebuild and how have they lasted you? If you sourced an o-ring, what type?
I have slaves laying around that are bad. I was supposed to get some o-rings from Travis but he has been out.
No way I’m using that all balls kit, if it comes from China I don’t want it.
Sounds good caviar. Post up some picks of the steed family you have going on once you’re together!
Mines almost done. Not many stock parts on this guy. BD4E12EB-7830-48C0-A1C3-8C42DA23343F.jpeg Hundreds of hours in this thing making it work the best I can make it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quad97, what did you use to rebuild and how have they lasted you? If you sourced an o-ring, what type?
I have slaves laying around that are bad. I was supposed to get some o-rings from Travis but he has been out.
Sounds good caviar. Post up some picks of the steed family you have going on once you’re together!
Mines almost done. Not many stock parts on this guy. View attachment 22090 Hundreds of hours in this thing making it work the best I can make it.
Beautiful bike man. Love how you incorporated the blue.

Banshee 7mill

My atc. It’s sold but hasn’t been shipped out yet...

Mint untouched 92 on the right. My favorite...bike is if Florida. I should have it up In pa hopefully in May.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mines almost done. Not many stock parts on this guy. View attachment 22090 Hundreds of hours in this thing making it work the best I can make it.
I’d love to see some close up shots of your bike

·
Registered
374 Posts
I’m not a smoker guy, but wow! Clean machines. My arms got ripped off just looking at them.
I need to get more pics. Once I set toe, adjust charging voltage (yes, custom regulator... now you’re getting the idea how much of a headache all this is) and do some more heat cycles and get my hood graphics peice in and it’ll be allllllll done!
besides some close friends and other people I go back and forth with. This forum is the first to see it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I’m not a smoker guy, but wow! Clean machines. My arms got ripped off just looking at them.
I need to get more pics. Once I set toe, adjust charging voltage (yes, custom regulator... now you’re getting the idea how much of a headache all this is) and do some more heat cycles and get my hood graphics peice in and it’ll be allllllll done!
besides some close friends and other people I go back and forth with. This forum is the first to see it.
Sounds good man. I’m a sucker for details and would love to see all the small stuff on the bike.

Also, I typically like them old and full of smoke. But these Ktm’s have some impressive engineering that went into them.

As you can see in used to not really have much of a bottom end on my bikes. I don’t think I’ll be to bothered with what’s lost on the xc.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Good looking machines there gents!

The only slaves I've rebuild were on my my 505SX and my 2-wheeler. KTM actually offers kits for those. I've always just replaced the slave on the XC. I wouldn't use the All Balls kit either until that becomes the last option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whats wrong with All Balls kits?
I have never used them, but I am interested in the pitfalls
So tell your story, maybe this will be a good warning for all of us.

·
Registered
374 Posts
All balls is cheap Chinese junk. My all balls wheel bearings lasted 3 races. OEM quality is made to last, all balls is made to appeal to cost.
Forgot to update this thread, been racing the fresh build!
F2D99644-8098-4CA2-85B3-089820726D39.jpeg

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
^What YW&F said. Some of their stuff probably works fine for the person who only occasionally does some recreation riding, but I've stayed away from it. Used some front wheel bearings on a different make and they didn't last real long. The folks on KTMTalk, one of the KTM bike forums I follow, seem to avoid their stuff as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey guys, believe it or not. I haven’t made any progress on this bike since I last posted.

I finally got the motor all wrapped up last night. Lol ( about to have our second and I’ve been taking advantage of a boomed banshee market as well)

Regardless, I didn’t just leave the forum and I should have some progress photos and I’m sure more questions shortly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
All
Buttoned up. I have a FourWerx seat to install, waiting on grips, air down the tires

and finish up heat cycles.

Did the first cycle today. Bike started right up, idled great and ran surprisingly well from 0-1/4 throttle.

Can’t wait to get the cycles finished up and have fun with it

·
Registered
636 Posts
Looks good! Nice work. Looking forward to seeing the seat cover and hearing what you think about RE motor work.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts