KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my inserts have now lossened, both the front mounts under the fenders.

I managed to get epoxy down the side of the rhs one and it fixed it nicely.

LHS, well it's spinning in the hole and I cant get the bolt out..... if a put pressure on it I get fuel weeping through....... it's screwed........

This is pretty sub standard.............. and clearly last years problems didn't get a factory rethink for 09...........

·
Registered
32 Posts

LHS, well it's spinning in the hole and I cant get the bolt out..... if a put pressure on it I get fuel weeping through....... it's screwed........

This is pretty sub standard.............. and clearly last years problems didn't get a factory rethink for 09...........
Hi Craig ,
We Have had the same problem ,It is with Warranty KTM ,I now tension them to 6nm as specified By KTM ...not sure if this will eliminate this issue ? I suggest everyone gets a hold of an owners manual ...another one to watch is the axel bearings being tapper roller 25nm ,I would say most people will crank these right up !

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Len

yeah I'm going to talk with KTM today. I treat the plastic fasteners into the tank with kid gloves, anti sieze grease on the threads and use light pressure, had a couple bolts fall out - not tight enough....... Even with all this babying the problems seems to be the shouldered bolts grab the inserts and thats it...... buggered.

Yeah the rear axle takes a light touch alright. Ours losened a couple times and now it seems to have bedded in with not further adjustment.

·
Registered
285 Posts

This is how we went about fixing this issue. I took some small aluminum round stock and machined it to the diameter of the back side extension of the stock plastic retention bolts. I then tapped it to what I believe was 6MM x ?, not sure this was a while ago. I added some flats to it so I could get a wrench on it. I then got some stainless studs and with a lot of never-seize installed them into the tank, using the small aluminum pieces as jam nuts. This let me use a flange nut so that I could hold the plastic on the same as with the bolts.

Hope this helps, we made it an entire national season without any trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
One of my SX tanks just started spinning on me last nite. Looks like its off to KTM for another warranty claim..
:(

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well I have the 450xc and talked with my now dealer and he advised me that the tanks are on back order. That was a week ago.. Good luck with the sx tanks..

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've got an IMS on order, and guess what, major back order delay at IMS due to demand..........

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is how we went about fixing this issue. I took some small aluminum round stock and machined it to the diameter of the back side extension of the stock plastic retention bolts. I then tapped it to what I believe was 6MM x ?, not sure this was a while ago. I added some flats to it so I could get a wrench on it. I then got some stainless studs and with a lot of never-seize installed them into the tank, using the small aluminum pieces as jam nuts. This let me use a flange nut so that I could hold the plastic on the same as with the bolts.

Hope this helps, we made it an entire national season without any trouble.
________________________________________________________________________________

Could you post some pics of this to make it clearer to us unmechanical guys?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry for the double post but I was sitting in the garage with my new sx reading this topic. I desperatly do not whant this to happen to my bike.

Craig, you seem to think it is the shoulder that grabs hold of the inserts and I assume when you over tighten the friction spins the insert. Makes sence to me.

I found that the o-ring from a 520 chain fits almost perfectly around the bolt and will seperate the shoulder from the insert. I've ati-seized the bolts and the o-ring. If this works it may be cheap preventitive fix. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
an o ring sound like a good idea, I used never seize etc and it still picked up, had several fasteners fall out as I was being pretty cautious on the tightening.......

Got an IMS tank on there and I actually prefer the shape, I was hammering the hell out of my knees onteh ridge on the stocker, IMS, though wider, is a nice transition in comparison.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just got my 505sx and am having a problem with an insert spinning in the tank. My solution was to drill the center of the bolt out while holding it with a wrench; the head pops off once you go deep enough. I'm going to get the tank warranteed, but to avoid the problem in the future I'm going to use the 08 XC fasteners. They are a better design--why they changed it (for the worse) for 09 is unclear. The 08 fasteners have a bolt and a separate collar. This keeps the collar from binding against the insert, which is the problem with the 09 design. I will still use anti-seize and avoid overtightening.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Two of mine just started spinning also. How did you guys go about sending it in for warranty? I tried calling KTN North America customer service multiple times but the guy never answers or calls me back. Also did you keep all the hardware and gas cap or did they make you send that in too?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I told my dealer and mentioned this website with others reporting the same problem. He heard of the problem before and requested a warranty tank from KTM. You might have to go through your dealer. KTM's direct customer service doesn't have a good reputation so far as I can tell. I called them with a question about using synthetic oil for the break-in period and got a teenager who tried to fake it. I'd rather hear "I don't know" than BS.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I told my dealer and mentioned this website with others reporting the same problem. He heard of the problem before and requested a warranty tank from KTM. You might have to go through your dealer. KTM's direct customer service doesn't have a good reputation so far as I can tell. I called them with a question about using synthetic oil for the break-in period and got a teenager who tried to fake it. I'd rather hear "I don't know" than BS.

You should be going through your dealer anyway. If that fails then go to KTM. Just like if you bought a CHEVY man!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
KTMBILL on here directed me to first NOT put sny bolts in the center (holding front plastic on (the ones above the radiator) and then to use some of the washer type little bolts from elsewhere on the machine ( I bought a KTM bolt kit from Enduro Engineering). then there is no collar to bottom out on the threaded bungs when tightening. So far so good!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
i just got my new tank and middle piece from ktm!! just dont tighten the nuts that much at all! and fill them with anti-sieze. that will help keep it tight in there if you barely tighten it up like ido.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Maybe if we all just keep breaking our tanks then KTM will be forced to make a distinct change.
We should all pick a day and break them at the same time.
Im on my 3rd and only have my bike for 6 months. Im being very careful and if it happens again
im gonna freak out. I lose 3 weeks of riding every time. Im telling you a liitle JB Weld around the top and some anti seize and I doubt very much that it will happen again.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Maybe if we all just keep breaking our tanks then KTM will be forced to make a distinct change.
We should all pick a day and break them at the same time.
Im on my 3rd and only have my bike for 6 months. Im being very careful and if it happens again
im gonna freak out. I lose 3 weeks of riding every time. Im telling you a liitle JB Weld around the top and some anti seize and I doubt very much that it will happen again.
ha ha yeah no doubt!! and i should put a bead of jb weld around the top. i will do that next time i take the tank off.

thanks

·
Registered
951 Posts
Im going with the IMS next time. You get a solid 4 gallons that way too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts