KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Shocks are off and we are going through a revlavling and spring assessment / setup over the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted on our dial in & tweaks.

Kiwi

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update :( :

REAR SHOCK: rear shock internals are similar to the Ohlins with a secondary piston to provide the progression as the shock bottoms. The shock is not at all like the dirtbike setup inside.

We are making up a set of alloy collars to allow fitment of the Ohlins dual stage rear spring kit taken from the XC.

The stock rear WP main spring is a real stonker, 82 N/mm or around 470 lbs/in, thats stiff !!! stock XC rear spring is only 353 lbs/in (bit soft actually)

The stock top spring is similar to the aftermarket Ohlins top spring, thats way the sag and ride settings seem about right, but with that stiff main spring it's a real kick in the arse ride.......... we are going with a 410lb main, nice and supple for my 95kg butt !

FRONT: big problems here, the piston shims are totally different to anything else on the market, so start hunting out OEM WP shims with a 10mm centre shaft size. Unobtainium........ seems to sum this up....... still waiting on WP shims to arrive......

Piston doesn't look like it will flow enough oil either so tweaking here looks likely also.......

Springing: details to follow but based on the free sag / ride sag, even with my weight, 95kg, the whole deal is to stiff. Still hunting to see what we can find to fit the WP body as the size appears to be odd ball........ :(

Damping: we are backing off the low speed by 40% and across the range low and high by around 20% to try and get some suppleness into the action, it' s miles to harsh....... video show the thing skipping all over the place (and probably why traction off the line was only "average" at best).

Last thing, gas refill is a WP only $$$$ injector, Racetech do a nice conversion for WP shocks for Yamaha or suzuki style regas needle (yam) / regulator (suzuki) still waiting on one to turn up

You really have to question who the heck decides to set up these things with such crap setting stock................ :angry:

it's looking mighty tempting to just bin them and go with an Axis PRS or PEP B1 setup front and rear..... :D

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've been asked what my free sag / rider sag setting with the stock springs are.

Front, free sag, 20mm, rider sag 45mm no / minimal preload on the top spring (should be in the 50 free 100 rider sag range IMO)

Rear, free sag 40mm, rider sag 90mm (no preload on the top rear spring)

all clickers front and rear at full soft settings.......

seems that some of the 505's in europe are WAY softer than this !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts