KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase one of the 2 (sx or xc)..my question is do you think the sx motors power will work for xc? The reason I ask is I primarily run TT in winter and like mx racing locally the best, however I also want to run some xc races this year..I thought if I got a set of houser arms I could accomplish this..Do you think the motor is grunty enough for woods, and if the wp's would work decent? Or would it be better just to buy the xc and widen it up? I know not having reverse sucks, but I feel the potential in the sx motor is greater and could use the extra power and width for TT.
What do you think?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I am about to purchase one of the 2 (sx or xc)..my question is do you think the sx motors power will work for xc? The reason I ask is I primarily run TT in winter and like mx racing locally the best, however I also want to run some xc races this year..I thought if I got a set of houser arms I could accomplish this..Do you think the motor is grunty enough for woods, and if the wp's would work decent? Or would it be better just to buy the xc and widen it up? I know not having reverse sucks, but I feel the potential in the sx motor is greater and could use the extra power and width for TT.
What do you think?
I've riden both, I have the 525XC and driver has the 505SX, the SX motor has a nice power curve and would work fine for running through the woods, if I had my choice to do over, it would be a hard one, now to your SX motor has more potential, there is no way, (at this time anyway) the RFS or XC motor has way more power potential, if your just gonna do bolt ons yes, the SX motor runs hard, but if your gonna try for big power, the RFS base motor will flat out kill the SX, and last way longer, the SX motors have been popping in the bikes when built heavily (around 60hp) I'm sure they'll get it figured out but right now 60hp is about max for the SX, and 75+hp on the RFS

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've riden both, I have the 525XC and driver has the 505SX, the SX motor has a nice power curve and would work fine for running through the woods, if I had my choice to do over, it would be a hard one, now to your SX motor has more potential, there is no way, (at this time anyway) the RFS or XC motor has way more power potential, if your just gonna do bolt ons yes, the SX motor runs hard, but if your gonna try for big power, the RFS base motor will flat out kill the SX, and last way longer, the SX motors have been popping in the bikes when built heavily (around 60hp) I'm sure they'll get it figured out but right now 60hp is about max for the SX, and 75+hp on the RFS
Thanks a lot man, you just made up my mind! I haven't ridden either so all I can go off is what people say..just seems in most other motors dohc makes more horse, but reading your guys posts helps a lot! What you say makes sense, and the price I can grab an 08 xc for right now helps also. I think we can make her mx well if we try. I just want the top end for oval, tt.. hope I can get her outta the xc!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks a lot man, you just made up my mind! I haven't ridden either so all I can go off is what people say..just seems in most other motors dohc makes more horse, but reading your guys posts helps a lot! What you say makes sense, and the price I can grab an 08 xc for right now helps also. I think we can make her mx well if we try. I just want the top end for oval, tt.. hope I can get her outta the xc!
Plus the XC can be built to have an absolute shitton of torque!!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
You'll also like the XC alot more if you adjust your own valves, it can be a pain adjusting shim under bucket style valves. :D

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll also like the XC alot more if you adjust your own valves, it can be a pain adjusting shim under bucket style valves. :D
Very true! It can be a pain pulling cams out just for a valve adjustment...I think in the long run this is the better choice for me, I'm an old guy and its nice to have a torque motor to hold a gear in the woods when I'm tired LOL! Can't keep the stamina the young whipper snappers have anymore!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Very true! It can be a pain pulling cams out just for a valve adjustment...I think in the long run this is the better choice for me, I'm an old guy and its nice to have a torque motor to hold a gear in the woods when I'm tired LOL! Can't keep the stamina the young whipper snappers have anymore!
If torque is what you're after, the XC is what you want. I can let off my clutch real easy without using the gas and get the bike rolling without stalling, I can let it creep along at idle without stalling too...definitely beats the major clutching I had to do on the 250R I just came off of and the piped/HRC cammed 450R with a 13T that I rode before that. This motor can be lugged like no other I've ridden.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I have an XC that I've raced on both TT and in the woods. It is for sure the best woods quad. The power and torque are great. To get the high HP needed for TT you'll need a big cam and bigger valves along with porting, carb work and exhaust. Once you get that you'll still have that huge torque. I added wider a-arms to mine for the TT stuff.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an XC that I've raced on both TT and in the woods. It is for sure the best woods quad. The power and torque are great. To get the high HP needed for TT you'll need a big cam and bigger valves along with porting, carb work and exhaust. Once you get that you'll still have that huge torque. I added wider a-arms to mine for the TT stuff.
How well is it working for you in TT? What are you doing with suspension to get it to handle well? I know for ice to run a machine like I am used to, I will have to drop it to the ground in the rear and soften it up, just wondering if you have any problems getting it to hook, the few I saw run this year could not get them to handle the best, seemed they had to much torque and problems with traction, but it may have been the way they were set up.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
How well is it working for you in TT? What are you doing with suspension to get it to handle well? I know for ice to run a machine like I am used to, I will have to drop it to the ground in the rear and soften it up, just wondering if you have any problems getting it to hook, the few I saw run this year could not get them to handle the best, seemed they had to much torque and problems with traction, but it may have been the way they were set up.
I run shorter PEP shocks and a -2 swingarm plus the wider a-arms and a swaybar. I think it will habdle great once I get my rear shock setup right. We've been playing with spring rates and dampning. The last ice race I ran it hooked up in the rear pretty well though.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I've got another -2 swingarm for sale. It was made to work with the stock rear shock. Has two shock mounting holes to lower the shock about 2 inches or so. It wont work with my PEP so thats why I'm selling it. Its lightweight for TT racing.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got another -2 swingarm for sale. It was made to work with the stock rear shock. Has two shock mounting holes to lower the shock about 2 inches or so. It wont work with my PEP so thats why I'm selling it. Its lightweight for TT racing.
Thanks, I might hit you back on that..what kind? How much? Thanks

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Thanks, I might hit you back on that..what kind? How much? Thanks
It's a Roberts Racing. I put Pivot Works bearings in it. Used it about 3 races. Still in good condition. Was hoping for $350. It was $500 new plus the bearing kit.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a Roberts Racing. I put Pivot Works bearings in it. Used it about 3 races. Still in good condition. Was hoping for 0. It was 0 new plus the bearing kit.
I'll let you know, still working on financing for the machine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts