KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello KTMATVHQ!

I thought I'd contribute my first technical post with a flowbench test and pics on the 09 KTM SX

it's a very impressive head to say the least, in stock form,... but peeping into the head I can tell these heads true potential is going to real good after a port and flow job...

Oh, and after using my 5MHz ultrasonic thickness meter I probed around the intake side... looks to be about 0.125" port wall to jacket thickness on the sides and roof.... concentration around the guide boss, short side raius roll-back, adjusting cross-sectional with a bit of unshrouding- BAMMM!

Flowtest graph forthcoming ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nothin like a little oxy fuel to ad some crystals to the exhaust :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Nothin like a little oxy fuel to ad some crystals to the exhaust :)
Wow Brad, impressive, most people have no clue what it does, but the added power is worth it for some, I'm not sold yet, seen heads that have etched the alum.

thanks for posting the pics, looking forward to the flow bench data....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Wow Brad, impressive, most people have no clue what it does, but the added power is worth it for some, I'm not sold yet, seen heads that have etched the alum.

thanks for posting the picks, looking forward to the flow bench data....

C'mon Walt, I may have been born at night, but it wasnt last night :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
so oxy fuel will do that to the exhaust ports. over time time that will take away power right? i am running vp u4.2.

·
Registered
769 Posts
so oxy fuel will do that to the exhaust ports. over time time that will take away power right? i am running vp u4.2.
Over time yes, how long does it take????? but keep in mind I'm an odd ball that likes pump gas, so take my statement for what that's worth, 6 to 8% increase in power with good O2 fuel,, that's hard to beat... would I try it, yes,, would I run it all the time? no. Sorry didn't mean to side track your thread

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
DRG, do you think plus 1mm valves would be a go on this head ???

thanks

kiwi

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

thanks

kiwi
Id say on the exhaust side only if anything. The valves are big already. Id guess just leave them alone or risk bottom end loss.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I want as MUCH bottom end as I can get!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thanks

kiwi
I'll know more after I flowtest the exhaust side today, but i'd bet the valves are sized properly, it just needs intake porting mainly

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hate say it but that is pump gas that we ran.
Bill
I was gonna say I bet its just pump gas. Ive seen it like that plenty of times.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Shut up ranchero, no more cool guy hat for me :(

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
That was pump gas? With how many hours? Definitely not the cleanest ports Ive seen.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Shut up ranchero, no more cool guy hat for me :(
Brad, it must be that Michigan gas, (we think) we are way to smart to goof like that :eek:

I would of bet it was running O2 fuel,

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you guys are kewl as shiznit.... clown'n round.... :slap: haha

ok, here's probally the first SX flowtest on the internet!

flowbench set at 28" H20, zero leak using a intake manifold and 1" exhaust header manifold... my flowbench is pitot type so it measures airspeed velocity...

the green vertical represents 0.25D of the intake valve, where the intake valve lift position becomes removed from flowpath and port begins to dominate... you can see where the intake port is limiting valve potential at ~0.300" lift... the left vertical scale represents CFM increasing every gradical 50cfm... the right vertical scale represents velocity in f/s...

The top orange curve represents the stock 09 KTM SX intake flow...

The top black curve represents the stock 04/05 Honda TRX450R intake flow...

The bottom orange curve represents the stock 09 KTM SX exhaust flow...

The bottom black curve represents the stock 04/05 Honda TRX450R exhaust flow....

The KTM intake side has a 11.5% (~27cfm) advantage over the stock 04/05 TRX450R at 0.25D for lift..

The KTM exhaust side has a 15% (~21cfm) advantage over the stock 04/05 TRX450R at 0.25D for lift..

compare this against the stock dyno curve....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
you guys are kewl as shiznit.... clown'n round.... :slap: haha

ok, here's probally the first SX flowtest on the internet!

flowbench set at 28" H20, zero leak using a intake manifold and 1" exhaust header manifold... my flowbench is pitot type so it measures airspeed velocity...

the green vertical represents 0.25D of the intake valve, where the intake valve lift position becomes removed from flowpath and port begins to dominate... you can see where the intake port is limiting valve potential at ~0.300" lift... the left vertical scale represents CFM increasing every gradical 50cfm... the right vertical scale represents velocity in f/s...

The top orange curve represents the stock 09 KTM SX intake flow...

The top black curve represents the stock 04/05 Honda TRX450R intake flow...

The bottom orange curve represents the stock 09 KTM SX exhaust flow...

The bottom black curve represents the stock 04/05 Honda TRX450R exhaust flow....

The KTM intake side has a 11.5% (~27cfm) advantage over the stock 04/05 TRX450R at 0.25D for lift..

The KTM exhaust side has a 15% (~21cfm) advantage over the stock 04/05 TRX450R at 0.25D for lift..

compare this against the stock dyno curve....

Attachments

Reactions: Z3r0Eff3ct

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Do you have any graphs vs. a ported head off a honda or even an ltr? thanks for the killer info. So you planning on opening up the intake side mainly then?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have any graphs vs. a ported head off a honda or even an ltr? thanks for the killer info. So you planning on opening up the intake side mainly then?
Glad to help

I have plenty of ported graph on my different type of heads, but i dont think i'll be posting them here. Sorry.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Nope Florida Gas 4 days of riding. At Hard Rock. Then set for 6 weeks.
Bill

1 - 20 of 40 Posts