KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

Swingarm Chain Guide Block Alternative

4K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  steveo525 
#1 ·
83004070000 - now discontinued?!

What you meant to do? Anyone know the best place to source an alternative?

Currently like this - not ideal. [emoji3061]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I had looked for one for six months. Then I remembered that my aftermarket ones only gave the guides on the sides and bottom. I can’t see that top piece really saving much to be honest. Been running a aftermarket unit for a long time with no chain issues. If I remember right, you ride dunes? All my experience has been XC stuff, way harder on stuff like that, never had an issue. Nor have I ever seen or heard of a situation where that piece saved it. Biggest thing I would worry about is getting a nice case saver. A company (their name escapes me)has recently came out with a very protective poly one, it guards your feet to in case of a chain failure. Topar makes a nice one, too. A nice poly sprocket guard from Braap motowerx would help protect chain/sprocket, too.
If you’re still worried and/or just want the part (I would be the same way), and can’t get the part Steveo showed, chad (KTM bills son) and another guy I can contact have used units for sale that include that piece.
Shoot me a text if it comes down to that. 614-565-1524

#6 · (Edited)
I would love to ride your dunes one day! I love seeing pics of other sand boxes from around the world. Please keep them coming Miner. Thanks!

Question for you. How do you guys ride those massive dunes with knobby rear tires on your 2-Wheelers? That would never work over here at Glamis.

We were at Glamis last weekend. It was an awesome weekend. Mostly drove the new X3. It was a blast!

Attachments

#7 ·
You guys have beautiful, clean machines.
Wish XC racing and the midwest didn’t make keeping things that nice impossible.
I got to wash my Honda off after a wreck and a concussion a few months ago, before this sickness crap hit.
Was power washing for 2 hours.
My second round build of my 540XC is almost done, will be a fully blown machine. Then I have another one waiting to get built. Glad I got rid of the Honda... for now.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant community

#8 · (Edited)
Heading into lockdown so time to get busy with a few jobs. Dropped the oil and did the screens so I could get the quad up on the stand to strip the shocks off and send them into the shop for a service. Had an hour to get ready for the pickup and had the shocks cleaned waiting for the guy from KTM in the van. Fastest I’ve ever stripped a bike I think. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Well that sucks. KTM is becoming larger and more corporate and this is what happens. Machines get 10 model years old and they stop making parts because that's all they they are legally required to do. In the states anyway. Happening with the bikes too. They can't get countershafts for the bike RFS engines anymore. The quad ones are different so at least they aren't stealing those, but they'll start using up a lot of the other parts pretty soon. This is happening in the snowmobile world as well.

#13 ·
Another thing that can be done is contacting your KTM dealer parts department and ask them to do a dealer locator on the part number. Most of the dealers are all linked in and if you give them the KTM part number they will be able to see what dealers may have that part in inventory and provide you with their phone number.

#15 · (Edited)
Thread revival….and long winded…and too late for some….

So two weeks ago, at Glamis, I realized that I lost the upper rear block on mine as the bolts backed out (not sure how that happened) and it was lost in the dunes forever. I ended up running the bike the rest of the weekend that way and had no issues with it gone and as pictured by the OP. Young Wild and Free is correct in saying that the top piece is really just extra piece of mind. It will work fine without that piece.

But me being me, I got home and tried to order the piece and realized that the OP said it was discontinued and that is correct. So I decided that I would order the KTM Bill bracket and Banshee style TM designworks rear guide/slider (thanks Quad97 for pointing out Bills setup). I do not need to run the swingarm guard in the dunes and I do not run one with my Raptor. I know that doesn’t work for you works racers/woods riders and desert riders as you need the protection.

So, I got to thinking and realized, oh wait, Polaris and KTM had a nice little partnership going for many years where, lots of parts are interchangeable between the Predator S, Outlaw S and the KTM’s. So low and behold, I looked up the Polaris Swingarm Guard parts schematic on both the above mentioned models and wouldn’t you know it the block looks exactly the same. So I ordered it from RMATV and they only had 1 in stock. Got it Friday night and yup that’s it!

Now, for the bad news, I’m sure it is discontinued also but I ran the part number on EBay and there were quite a few sellers that have it listed for sale. Also I’m sure that there are plenty of other Polaris dealers/retailers, oem parts suppliers that have it in stock right now. So here is a chance to get it while it’s still around. This is for those guys that want the piece of mind in having it if you loose yours down the road and want to have a replacement. My suggestion is to order it and have an extra for when you need it one day down the road.

Polaris Part Number: 5435411

Grey Font Gas Plastic Wood

#19 ·
Thread revival….and long winded…and too late for some….

So two weeks ago, at Glamis, I realized that I lost the upper rear block on mine as the bolts backed out (not sure how that happened) and it was lost in the dunes forever. I ended up running the bike the rest of the weekend that way and had no issues with it gone and as pictured by the OP. Young Wild and Free is correct in saying that the top piece is really just extra piece of mind. It will work fine without that piece.

But me being me, I got home and tried to order the piece and realized that the OP said it was discontinued and that is correct. So I decided that I would order the KTM Bill bracket and Banshee style TM designworks rear guide/slider (thanks Quad97 for pointing out Bills setup). I do not need to run the swingarm guard in the dunes and I do not run one with my Raptor. I know that doesn’t work for you works racers/woods riders and desert riders as you need the protection.

So, I got to thinking and realized, oh wait, Polaris and KTM had a nice little partnership going for many years where, lots of parts are interchangeable between the Predator S, Outlaw S and the KTM’s. So low and behold, I looked up the Polaris Swingarm Guard parts schematic on both the above mentioned models and wouldn’t you know it the block looks exactly the same. So I ordered it from RMATV and they only had 1 in stock. Got it Friday night and yup that’s it!

Now, for the bad news, I’m sure it is discontinued also but I ran the part number on EBay and there were quite a few sellers that have it listed for sale. Also I’m sure that there are plenty of other Polaris dealers/retailers, oem parts suppliers that have it in stock right now. So here is a chance to get it while it’s still around. This is for those guys that want the piece of mind in having it if you loose yours down the road and want to have a replacement. My suggestion is to order it and have an extra for when you need it one day down the road.

Polaris Part Number: 5435411

View attachment 23050
Top man, cheers. [emoji41][emoji482]

#16 ·
For those guys that need piece of mind and can’t get the replacement piece, I still wouldn’t worry too much about not having it. My buddy has a 1st generation YFZ 450 and I looked at his stock Swingarm Guard with the stock rear chain guide setup and it looks about the same as the KTM without having that upper block in there

Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

#20 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Nice to see still a little traffic on here. I worked with LS4 to make an inherently better (in my opinion) setup than the stock skid. Believe it or not I’m still happily racing my KTM here in the Midwest. The “current” Honda/Yamaha/LTR for best clearance and protection is a rotor guard and sprocket guard combo.
The sprocket guard still rotates with the axle and sprocket so if you bottom out or get hung up on something you can pin it and let the sprocket guard kind of push you on over usually.
with the stock skid, if you bottom out, have to get off and start lighting it out/off of what you’re stuck on.
I ran the prototype to this setup all last year and never lost a chain and smashed some rocks pretty hard and never bent the guard.
for dune guys, you don’t even need a skid! Haha
For the people reading this that want the “race” setup tho, I’ll leave some links! they make a good amount of other things too! The frame guards are awesome. Sean also have found a solution to those weak steering stem bridges. Allows for a lot more stamping force in the stem without risking breaking it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.