KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
has anyone else used these. i like the price, and it is rebuildable. i just dont know if i want to spend the big money for an elka or percision.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Streamline-...4QQcmdZViewItem
I will say, you get what you pay for with stabilizers. I used to run this kind of stabilizer on a few of my old quads, and every single one bent on me. Then they are junk. These newer models are so much better its not even funny. I do hear ya on the rediculous price of these new ones, but i hate to say it, they really are worth that much

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
I've fitted alot of inline dampers like the above over the last 10 years, the only time I've seen one bend was due to poor installation, things bend when they are forced past there angular limits of the mounting ...... or it was in direct hit in a crash !

The inline or tube type dampers usually have a linear damping rate, same from start to finish.

The better rotary dampers have a variable rate, with increasing damping as the bars turn, options for no resistance on return to centre etc etc and alot more adjustments on those settings, thats where the $$$ factor comes in.

If you have never had a steering damper the inlines work great and are a noticeable improvement, but when you have had an elka 5 or precision, the difference is noticeable.

Bottomline, inlines work good, nice and simple. Rotarys work better, more adjustments and tuning needed to get the best out of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, i think im going with the streamline, ive never had a steering stabilizer and i think this one will be a good one for me since i dont race just dunes and some desert.

·
Registered
73 Posts
go with whatever fits your budget. It is what i should have in my budget but i usually make myself broke doing so. the first 3 years i raced, i used the kind you are looking at. But like stated above, once you go with the other style, you cant go back. It is a rediculous price increase though i do agree with that. Just watch any kind of impact with trees. Thats what i bent mine on, thats when you get an irregularity in your steering and thats when you need to check for bends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts