KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a 525 and curious how the stock skid plates are. Will i need to upgrade to handle rocks etc? I'm just trying to make a list of stuff I will need up front before I run it by the wife. I know they are pretty much race ready from the crate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The swingarm plate is the thickest and largest of the factory plates I have seen. The chasis plate has good coverage, but I don't think it would take much abuse. I went ahead with PRM plates anyway.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My chasis plate broke fairly quick. not a big deal, just bought a prm plate, figured it was bound to happen. It was plastic after all. The stock swingarm plate seem pretty thick, so ill just wait till that breaks too. Its just a matter of time, haha.

PRM=good stuff

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
i just took mine right off

·
Registered
430 Posts
i just took mine right off
Thought about it, but the bottom of the engine just seen to close to the ground for me

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
ok, so i just bought an ac racing skid, just the main frame skid, i got a deal, but this thing is cut kinda cheaply looking.

would rather have had the rath, its only 10 bucks more, but they dont stock it, and only list like 5 things from rath, and same thing with prm...

so, anyone running the ac skid? anyone know if once i ever get my quad... and my ktm nerfs, if the ac skid and the factory nerfs will fit?

i thought i read that someones skid wouldnt work with the nerfs, maybe pro armors i think, not sure.

any help is appreciated.

the deal i got was 61 bucks outta pocket...

the ac retails for 129, got it for 110, and got extra oil filters, but traded in my stainless brake line kit for the ex that i hadnt used, i only paid 80 bucks in 07and just never installed, they gave me 70 for cred, swapped out plugs for the ktm for what i had, and they were gonna let me swap oil, but the didnt have the weight that the ktm calls for...

i may be getting a deal on the ktm plate, but dunno quality.

·
Registered
249 Posts
ok, so i just bought an ac racing skid, just the main frame skid, i got a deal, but this thing is cut kinda cheaply looking.

would rather have had the rath, its only 10 bucks more, but they dont stock it, and only list like 5 things from rath, and same thing with prm...

so, anyone running the ac skid? anyone know if once i ever get my quad... and my ktm nerfs, if the ac skid and the factory nerfs will fit?

i thought i read that someones skid wouldnt work with the nerfs, maybe pro armors i think, not sure.

any help is appreciated.

the deal i got was 61 bucks outta pocket...

the ac retails for 129, got it for 110, and got extra oil filters, but traded in my stainless brake line kit for the ex that i hadnt used, i only paid 80 bucks in 07and just never installed, they gave me 70 for cred, swapped out plugs for
the ktm for what i had, and they were gonna let me swap oil, but the didnt have the weight that the ktm calls for...

i may be getting a deal on the ktm plate, but dunno quality.
I run the pro armor skid and it works fine with the KTM nerf bars. It also bolts to the quad, doesn't use clamps that i have read complaints about on other pro armor skids. As far as swinger skids I too still use the stock one.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I run the pro armor skid and it works fine with the KTM nerf bars. It also bolts to the quad, doesn't use clamps that i have read complaints about on other pro armor skids. As far as swinger skids I too still use the stock one.
Throw up some pics of the KTM nerfs with the Pro Armor skid. I have the Pro Armor skid, but the last picture I saw of the two together had the side frame guards trimmed some so that the nerfs would slip between the frame correctly. I would like the KTM nerfs but haven't bought them for this reason.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Throw up some pics of the KTM nerfs with the Pro Armor skid. I have the Pro Armor skid, but the last picture I saw of the two together had the side frame guards trimmed some so that the nerfs would slip between the frame correctly. I would like the KTM nerfs but haven't bought them for this reason.

Here ya go!!!

I didn't realize how close they where till i took the pics.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
that is a lil close, i could see some variance in manufacturing making some have to trim.

ill take a pic of the ac skid tomorrow and post it up, its just chilling there, being as my quad is still stuck in oregon just wasting half the warranty lol

the thing with the ac is that i have 3 bolts, some washers, some spacers, no directions and more than 3 holes lol... and it doesnt exactly exceed my expectations for what should be a good piece, its cut jagged which i can easily fix with a cookie disk, but just dunno how it really bolts up or fits.

i dunno if anyone has the ktm one, i might get that depending on what kinda deal i can get being as the dealer kinda ephed me and after telling me i would have it for sure this weekend and i took the weekend off its not gonna be here... they should give me some kinda big discount imo.

thanks for your guy's help :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
here is the AC skid

like i say, the quality doesn't seem so top notch, the cuts are a lil jagged where the side kick ups are cut, but that can be smoothed easily, but it has 3 bolts, 3 washers, 3 spacers.... 2 mount holes on front lip, 2 on the rear lip, one in the middle, then no directions lol...

should be self explanatory once i get the quad, but i see too many holes for too few bolts..

edit: so, i look at ac's site to see how it mounts, and damn, they are selling it direct to customers for 73 bucks...

so i think im going to order the pro armor one and return this, cause compared to the pro armor this doesnt really cover the same.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
well, i did get the pro armor, and it seems beefier, i like the kickouts, it doesn not wrap around the frame like the ac did, but the ac can be had for like 73 bucks or so from ac direct, even tho the place i bought from gave me cred for my 2yr old ss brake line kit that i dont think i bought from them, i would rather it go towards something that i couldnt get way cheaper elsewhere, and that seems better.

the only thing is the finish on the bottom is really really rough, i may clean it up a lil bit and burnish it or maybe lightly polish it just so dirt/mud wont stick as easily.

·
Registered
592 Posts
the only thing is the finish on the bottom is really really rough, i may clean it up a lil bit and burnish it or maybe lightly polish it just so dirt/mud wont stick as easily.
I have the same one and I wouldn't waste my time polishing or cleaning up the bottom if I were you, it doesn't collect much dirt and will get scuffed sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i havent decided yet, i may still polish it, i work in a shop, and have the tools, and could probably squeeze some time to do it. i had a set of nerfs on my ex that had the same rough finish, and it would just never really come clean easily and started oxidizing bad, so i took a burnish ball to them, then a lil flitz, then they never had any problems after that. on the other hand, i know i wouldnt see it, so it is a lil bit of a waste, cause it is the bottom lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
the rear is awsome, takes alot of abuse, yesterday I would have said the stock motor plate is fine, but after todays ride , would advise to change it to something stronger. I must have hit a rock and punched a hole throught the stock plastic skid and punched a hole in my case, causing loss of all oil without me realizing untill it was too late!

·
Registered
249 Posts
the rear is awsome, takes alot of abuse, yesterday I would have said the stock motor plate is fine, but after todays ride , would advise to change it to something stronger. I must have hit a rock and punched a hole throught the stock plastic skid and punched a hole in my case, causing loss of all oil without me realizing untill it was too late!

The belly skid is usually the first thing i buy for a new bike. For that reason. Sorry to hear about your luck that sucks.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
this is the first machine i bought a skid for, i ephed my ex's frame up pretty bad once, some jackaz decided to drop a 1.5 ft rock in the middle of a section of whoops, frame was turned damn near flat, still was ok, but broke thr peg and the nerf mount, welded the nerf and peg, and it was ok, but didnt want to do that again esp not on something new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i would definateley get prm skids. they are very heavy duty and durable! hear is their Website u can even choose ur thickness!! :D
i have the rath engine skid and its junk, i race a 04 honda 450r prm frame skid for 4 years only minal were the rath stuff ive all ready had to beat it out evertime i clean the lower screans i think i gave rath nearly 200 for it booooooo :angry:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts