KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to remove the stock header from the bike without removing the rear shock?? :lol:

The reason I ask is I have a friend, who will remain anonymous, who can't remove the stock header without removing the rear shock to get it out. For ease of explanation, let's call this guy Drew. Drew swears to me that you can't remove the header without first supporting the bike on something and removing the rear shock.

Although I have never tried myself, I am pretty sure that on a quad with this much research put into it and the over all race design and quick disassembly of components that you should be able to remove the exhaust with out removing suspension components.

Can someone please enlighten "Drew" on how this task is accomplished??

Thanks for any replies.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
It says in the owners/repair manual that you have to remove the heel guard and then the header comes off. Didn't try it though...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have rath netted heel guards and I still had to unbolt the rear shock to get my head pipe off.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've tried, you have to unbolt the heel gaurd and remove the rear shock, no other way that I have found on the stock head pipe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, this really surprises me. Considering everything else I have helped him with on this XC. EVERYTHING on that bike just comes apart very easily. I figured since KTM had that quick race design in mind that they would have not made you have to support the rear of the bike just to remove the exhaust?? Oh well. Still a great bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
geeze, guess this guy "drew" wasn't so crazy after all, huh...."pat" :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
geeze, guess this guy "drew" wasn't so crazy after all, huh...."pat" :lol:

haha guess not. At least thats one thing I can bash on the KTM about. "hey lets swap out this exhaust"

"hold on. I need to get my engine stand out first"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts