KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The steering stem handle bar bridge mount is cracked on my KTM 525. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket replacement that will not crack like the stock one did? I do not want to buy another stock one only to have it crack again.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The steering stem handle bar bridge mount is cracked on my KTM 525. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket replacement that will not crack like the stock one did? I do not want to buy another stock one only to have it crack again.

Thanks!
can you take a pic i would like to see where these things are cracking.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are probably a dozen people that have started topics on here about these POS parts cracking out including myself. I replaced mine already but who knows how long it'll last again. IMO, these parts are very poorly designed and I design parts for a living :blink: . It would be great if someone had a better alternative.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
There are probably a dozen people that have started topics on here about these POS parts cracking out including myself. I replaced mine already but who knows how long it'll last again. IMO, these parts are very poorly designed and I design parts for a living :blink: . It would be great if someone had a better alternative.

do any of you have the old one you could send me if i paid the shipping?

·
Registered
27 Posts
KTM did update the part. I posted awhile back. I got my dealer to warrenty the part. New one is thicker in the area that is cracking. new part number is 83001034108.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
KTM did update the part. I posted awhile back. I got my dealer to warrenty the part. New one is thicker in the area that is cracking. new part number is 83001034108.

Do you have anymore pics? I don't see where they've fixed the problem. The two bolts a too close together and are recessed or counterbored too deep. IMO one slightly larger bolt would suffice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Look at the area in the circle. Its only a few mm thicker but the area that cracks is only about 3mm thick anyways. I torqued to specs and it didnt crack. I can recheck since i have ridden a little. I hope this fixes the problem. I do think you need 2 bolts to keep the clamping area large enough with out going alot thicker IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think 3 days. my dealer is great but they are over 100 miles away. I had to pay to ship the old part back but i would have spent more in gas to go to my local dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sent a letter to KTM describing how frequent this issue is and complained about the poor design. They sent the revised part to my dealer and installed it for free within two days of me sending the letter! This was for an 08 and was well beyond the warranty. I have to say that I am very pleased with how KTM handled this!

·
Registered
26 Posts
ya mine cracked on my 505 sx a well
techy,
where did you mail the letter to please post on here for myself and others . i have 3-2008 525xc"s. 2 of them have done the same thing. i had to pay for the first cause the dealer wanted to charge me 80 bucks to install so i bought the part and installed myself, so i would like to get reimbursed for that 90.00 bucks. now iam waiting for the second one that has cracked and the dealer just called and said it would be the middle of june before it got here! i need it sooner than that! sorry for the ramble but iam :angry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sent the letter to Thomas Kuttruf. See below for contact info. I found his name at the bottom of the letter that was distributed for the brake recall. I figured since he was the point person for a recall he would be able to help and it turned out very well as mentioned. The only hitch was I had to take the quad to the dealer so they could install the part. It still was at no charge. I think KTM does a good job standing behind their projects. A word of advice.....do not slam KTM when you request assistance.
Just state the issue: The steering stem bridge cracked under normal riding conditions due to inferior design and is a known issue since KTM has a revised part available.
Also mention that you would like KTM to replace the part and cover it under warranty consideration.
Also mention that you are concerned that continued use of the existing and faulty part may lead to failure and potential injury to yourself.
And finally follow up with something nice to say...such as KTM has stood behind their products for many years and you would greatly appreciate it if they would continue to do so in a matter such as this one.
I am not giving you the exact words that I used as they should be your own....but I included all of the important info. I hope this helps. Maybe if enough people write to KTM this will become a recall. I believe it should be!

Good luck!

KTM-Sportmotorcycle AG
Thomas Kuttruf
Public Relations Manager
Tel.: +43 7742 6000
Mobil: +43 664 81 62 490
Fax: +43 7742 6000 - 5866
e-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is there anything I can buy to replace this part? I broke mine at the end of March and had to send it to the dealer and I am still waiting for them to ship the new part. I have a race coming up and I don't like just looking at my quad in the garage and not riding it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I meant in the aftermarket, sorry I didn't make that clear. The new part number is apparently what I am waiting for from the dealer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can buy a Walsh stem & clamp, that is what I did. No crappy bridge for me. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've the same problem on my KTM 525. New KTM bridge not so good. IMHO KTM decision to making two details separately not so efficient like on Yamaha or Honda, where the steering stem and the bar bridge are of one piece. 

At least 3 producers make solid steering stems for KTM:

Houser Racing - https://www.houser-racing.com/

Walsh - http://walshrc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=pr...ProductID=86990

Rath racing - http://store.rathracing.com

Now I'm waiting the Rath Racing Steering Stems (http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/chassis-components/steering-stems/rath-racing-steering-stems.html). 

1 - 20 of 23 Posts