KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what wheel and tire size, brand, and number of paddles front and rear you guys are running at the dunes...i have a 525xc with HMF full system on it, no other power parts yet. first post on here so hopefully this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
for my Honda I had ITP Sandstars. 22x7x10 up front and 20x11x10(?) in the rear. those were recommended by my cousin, unfortunatelt i didn't get any ride time on them.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Skat traks work great at oregon, the sand stars fronts are nice but a bit heavy. The rear sand stars are very aggresive with strong hook up but are heavy.

Skat traks are nice and light........ go for the haulers with 7 paddles & Mohawk fronts.

Skat Trak

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
just wondering what wheel and tire size, brand, and number of paddles front and rear you guys are running at the dunes...i have a 525xc with HMF full system on it, no other power parts yet. first post on here so hopefully this makes sense.
Eric at Recreationtires.com has the best deal going...give him a call...very honest and very nice to deal with....sorry didn't get back sooner my communications have been amiss for a few days...

What kind of riding? Drag Racing or just Playing?

I am assuming Oregon Dunes where there is a certain amount of moisture in the sand:

Drag Racing:
Rear: 7-8 paddle Haulers 21X12-8 on 8X9 Douglas .125 rims if you don't go big air...if you go big air go with the .160 rims they will do great in the dunes only...
(or you can do an Edge 8 paddle to this tune also but it still hooks up like a drag tire IE front end won't stay on the ground)
The 8X9" rims will give you 2" of width on the rear and move your spacesr to the inside so it will track the widest possible axle width...

Front: 22X7-10 Mohawks on .125 10X5 rims with 2N X 3B Spacing this will widen your stock front end 2" to give you more stability...

For Playing:

Fronts same as above

Rear: 20X10-8 Skat Trak Edges on the 8X9 rim this will flatten the tire out and is a power sliders dream on the sand...basically a TT setup in the dunes...very low and stable and will slide completely sideways for days without getting tippy...does not hook up very well, but will hold their own on the drag strip...you won't have to worry about the front end coming up...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm debating the same thing right now. I'm sure there will be a Glamis trip or two in the not too distant future but don't know what to go with. I originally planned on ITP Sand Stars f/r because I will be riding the dunes/bowls as well as drag racing, so I thought a V-paddle would be a better bet than a straight-paddle. I guess I am wondering how much of a weight difference is there between the ITP and the comparable Skat Trak Edge model and what type of hook-up can I expect in different conditions? Also, how will a straight-paddle perform in actual duning, not just racing?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I'm debating the same thing right now. I'm sure there will be a Glamis trip or two in the not too distant future but don't know what to go with. I originally planned on ITP Sand Stars f/r because I will be riding the dunes/bowls as well as drag racing, so I thought a V-paddle would be a better bet than a straight-paddle. I guess I am wondering how much of a weight difference is there between the ITP and the comparable Skat Trak Edge model and what type of hook-up can I expect in different conditions? Also, how will a straight-paddle perform in actual duning, not just racing?
Taller Tires with small rim (8") diameter and 8" width are going to hook up best as well as taller paddles: Best hook up: More 22" tall tires>21" tall tires>20" tall tires Less

The further your axle (swingarm length) is away from the seat (your weight) the more paddles you require...thats why you see the drag bikes running more paddles as there is no weight over the tires to help them hook up...so on a stock swingarm 8 paddles is more than enough!

The more rubber sidewall the better a tire will hook up...

Sand Stars are 1-1/8" Tall paddles with 8 large paddles and 8 small paddles...great tire and I love them on the LTZ470 (20X10-8) note I use a 8" rim for better drag racing and they do offer a controlled slide...they are too much paddle for the KTM's torque and power with the short swingarm if you add 1-1/2 to 2 inch longer swing arm they would work great...even on the LTZ470 I find myself letting off the throttle so I can steer or get the front tires to turn the Quad in the direction desired...it has a 1-1/4" ext swinger on it

The Skat Trak Haulers 7-8 paddle (Paddles are 7/8" Tall) are great tires for drag racing and hill shooting' but same scenario if you are on the throttle too much the Quad is not going to steer so you have to let off to steer...
I forgot the Haulers will slide so far and then completely "wash out" from under you when power sliding...you will do well for about a 40° slide and then when the Quad slides another 5° to 45° it will completely swing out away from you which sucks when power sliding, not very controlled at all...so I found myself always looking for that moment when the Quad was going to slide out from under me leaving me in thin air or on my arse....

I gave them to my "friend" Bronson...hopefull I'll get to see them slide out from under his arse~~~ :eek: :D :D ;) ...don't tell him he thinks he got a great deal!!!!

The Skat Trak Edges 8 paddles are a play tire, but you can get a drag play tire out of them by going 21X12-8...they still hook up too much for me and don't slide as well...might do better on a 9" wide rim I have them on 8" wide rim (8X8 rim)...

The Skat trak Edge 8 paddle 20X11-8 is where I have stayed on a 8X9 rim (9" width to make the center of the tire flatten out an 8" rim width would make the tire round out more giving it better traction, but causing the front end to lift also) after trying the others as it spins out well and keeps the front end down and holds its own on the drag track...Bronson raced it a few times and I raced his as well he is also running the Skat trak Edge 8 paddles, but with 20X11-9 (9X8 stock rim)...

I like to slide and drag race so I compromised with these...they ride smooth and flat...I was amazed at how fast you could slide completely sideways in full control...also when sidehilling they worked great...you could go down onto the face of a steep dune and U-turn without tipping...very controlled setup

The ITP Sand Stars are too much for the KTM 525 XC for sure...

Call Eric at recreationtires.com he can help you on setup also as he knows what everyone is running...he has the best prices around....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Huh, I think I am further away from figuring out what tire to go with than I was before. Thanks LTZ470 for all the info - sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with different setups. So it sounds like I am not going to be able to find a tire that will hook up well for drag racing AND work well on the dunes themselves. Seems the two require total opposite setups. To be honest, I will spend more time duning than drag racing so I suppose I should focus on getting a proper V-paddle and then just make do at the drags.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
For "Playing" in the dunes there are not many I haven't tried.
The best to date are the Sand Trax. They slide like a motor cross tyre in the sand. Very predictable and don't get that scary hook up happening half way through a slide. I can turn the bike on its length off the top of a dune with out scaring the bugger out of myself. 5th gear power slides are very smooth.
Using them for hill climbs takes a few more revs as they slip a little more than say the dune stars.

We did a full test for ATV Action Australia on paddles. If you want to read a copy of the draught for the mag PM me your e-mail address.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Huh, I think I am further away from figuring out what tire to go with than I was before. Thanks LTZ470 for all the info - sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with different setups. So it sounds like I am not going to be able to find a tire that will hook up well for drag racing AND work well on the dunes themselves. Seems the two require total opposite setups. To be honest, I will spend more time duning than drag racing so I suppose I should focus on getting a proper V-paddle and then just make do at the drags.
Sorry for the confusion:
You could go with the Skat Trak Edge 20X11X8 7 or 8 paddle mounted on a 8X8 rim and this would make it stand up a little more for drag racing and still be a good controlled slider...I see you are running the 450SX what kind of horsepower/tq does it make?
Another option is the Sand Skate II which is a great play tire and holds its own at the drags and hill shooting...they are made by Sand Tires Unlimited

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been running 20x10x10 9 paddle Extreme Haulers on ITP T-9 wheels on a stock 525. Good traction, but most of the time not too much.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry for the confusion:
You could go with the Skat Trak Edge 20X11X8 7 or 8 paddle mounted on a 8X8 rim and this would make it stand up a little more for drag racing and still be a good controlled slider...I see you are running the 450SX what kind of horsepower/tq does it make?
Another option is the Sand Skate II which is a great play tire and holds its own at the drags and hill shooting...they are made by Sand Tires Unlimited
The SX versions are making about 52hp but are not great in the torque department. The engine would rather be revved a bit, but, if the rear end hooks up, the quad will launch pretty hard.

I'll look into the STU Sand Skates. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Has anyone tried the Kenda Gecko/Dune Runner. I was checking them out and the paddles look pretty cool.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Geckos are okay as an all round tire, not as good in the hook up department but slide nicely. bit taller and narrower than most.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I recommend a 21x12x8 67-68ro 7 paddle extreme hauler on a 8x7 blue label for any ktm that is under 60whp. We have had excellent results with this tire and wheel combo on anything from the ltr to the ktm. If your gonna keep your setup now maybe even a 6 paddle. Big problem with most setups is people over paddle and its fun for wheelies but overall kills performance and handling.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
what is 67-68ro?

Its roll out. If you measure the distance around the circum. of the tire this is the number you will get. roll out affects tire performance big time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
DO NOT get the Gecko's!!! I just bought a barely used 525xc and it came with the gecko's. I thought something was wrong with the quad when it would barley wheelie. I jumped on my buddies 525xc( stock) and it had skat trac extreme 20x11x9"s with 7 paddles and OMG. night and day...wheelies anytime any gear, crazy difference. my .02

·
Registered
6 Posts
finally found the right info. thanks guys. I have posted this before on other sites but got no help. I have an 08 525XC and its hard to keep the front end down when powering thru a turn in the sand. thought it was my suspension setup. i have the sandstars they hook up pretty hard just wish they would slide a bit more in the corners. can a slightly higher tire pressure help with that?

·
Registered
91 Posts
finally found the right info. thanks guys. I have posted this before on other sites but got no help. I have an 08 525XC and its hard to keep the front end down when powering thru a turn in the sand. thought it was my suspension setup. i have the sandstars they hook up pretty hard just wish they would slide a bit more in the corners. can a slightly higher tire pressure help with that?
Yes you can adjust the tire pressure more or less for traction. Higher air pressure=less traction. Vice versa for the lower pressure. I have been using 8 paddle haulers for a long time on 8" wheels. I can slide with the best of them when I get the pressure high enough...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts