KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, apon doing a service i managed to round the hex hole in the under crankcase screen bolt, and yes i was actually using the right tool for the job, and previously set it to factory torque setting i think the engine heat has resulted in the bolt expanding and as a result i applied to much force and something had to give and fortunatly it was the hex insert in the bolt. im wondering if anyone else had this problem how you got the bolt undone or what you can reccomend.

i dont think an easy out will work due to the excess tension needed
i tried flogging the next size driver into the rounded hole but no luck
tried heating the engine and freezing the bolt
im thinking of welding another bolt to it just to get it out

love to hear your thoughts

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
hey guys, apon doing a service i managed to round the hex hole in the under crankcase screen bolt, and yes i was actually using the right tool for the job, and previously set it to factory torque setting i think the engine heat has resulted in the bolt expanding and as a result i applied to much force and something had to give and fortunatly it was the hex insert in the bolt. im wondering if anyone else had this problem how you got the bolt undone or what you can reccomend.

i dont think an easy out will work due to the excess tension needed
i tried flogging the next size driver into the rounded hole but no luck
tried heating the engine and freezing the bolt
im thinking of welding another bolt to it just to get it out

love to hear your thoughts
www.brapbolts.com to buy a better replacement once you get it out. I posted info in this forum that has pics of them. Just scroll down a bit to find it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
This is very common, so much so that several companies make replacements with a normal hex head instead of allen. The service manual says to hit your allen socket with a hammer a few times to relieve the pressure. I still broke one on a customers 400exc last week. I drilled a hole in the center to releive the pressure and then it came out super easy with torx bit that was close in size. Try it, worked for me.

We stock the Zip ty replacement screen holder bolt and love it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts