KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got my suspension back from Ron and bolted it up. Shocks look great. Get triple rated the front and kept the rear dual rate. First thing I note after install is that the suspension goes up and down. LOL the stock shocks wouldnt even do that. Next thing I noted was that there was room to lower the quad from where it came stock. The stock shocks in the front were all the way up and you couldnt lower the quad any more. I felt this was a great thing because the factory tires are the lowest tires made. So any other set of tires would raise the quad just a bit. There for I would need to lower it to get it back to ideal height for mx. Around 7.5-7inches. Now I could do that.

Anyways I went out and rode it today. I went out to a place called heminway. Has a little of everything. Smaller jumps, turns, berms, whoops(lots of them). Big, smaller, shallow, deep, spacing of all sizes. This is where I wanted to see how well they worked. Seems like these areas are where I get the most fatiqued while racing. But I also wanted to see how well they handled and jumped. I think most shocks can be jumped and its up to the rider to land jumps. So I didnt spend much time jumping. But when i did it was awesome. Plush and soaked up the jumps with ease and finesse.

Off to the whooped out river beds. I spent about and hour in two different areas. Blasting through tons, I mean tons of whoops, bumps, rocks and such. The river winded around alot so I had alot of different turns also. First thing I noticed right off the bat is I felt I could go faster for longer than I had gone through it previously on other machines. Particulary my 08 ltr with full fox suspension. I spend alot of time dialing in my floats and they felt great on my ltr. But this bike feels better. NO crap straight better. I could hold it pinned through the whoops and it felt like a dream and I never lost control. My biggest fear with no link rear was the rear wandering around. Didnt have that problem at all. Felt controlled everywhere I took it. I was also relieved with that. But the biggest thing that jumped out to me was the fact I never got fatiqued. I felt I could ride faster longer and with little to no fatique while doing it. This was killer for me because it seems to be my biggest hurdle every race. I get tired and cant hold on. Granted this was no race and things get worse in the heat of battle. But I pushed it hard today with killer results.

Several friends went riding with me. My best friend and riding buddy rides a pretty sweet ltr. I set it up for him with fully built motor and full noleen suspension. Thing is great everywhere we take it. He loves it. I let him take a few laps on a small track that was out there. After he was done he took his helmet off and said one thing. "THIS THING IS CHEATING" We all laughed and another buddy of mine said let me take a spin. So off he went. He is a pro am rider in WORCS and it very fast. He wins most of the local pro mx races. He rides a fully done up 06 honda with rolldesign/Float setup. Anyways when he got back he had nothing but good to say. Said he felt faster on my bike than his for sure. Power, suspension and braking were incredible he said. Both him and Bizzy both commented on the brakes saying they had never ridden something that stopped so hard.

Anyways to sum it up. These shocks are soooooooo GAME ON!!!!! I was super shocked (no pun intended) that these shocks felt better than my floats did on my ltr for all around riding. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical on having ron do them because he didnt have much experience with this shock. But man did he change my mind. These things Rock!! I fully recommend them. Shit I didnt even play with the settings and they felt killllerr. Ill be riding them at a gp/mx style race in a few weeks. Ill post more after that race. It has some big jumps on it and I cant wait to see how plush they feel out there. The last time I rode this track I couldnt last 3 laps before I could barely hold on, riding my ltr. So it should be interesting to see how well I do. Hoping to hang with my buddy on his honda. Last race I held him off till mid way through lap three and then he went by me due to fatique. Im positive this setup is gonna help me with that. So Clint I coming for you thanks to RocketRon. I wanna say thanks to you for getting me Game ON!

Ill post pics mounted up tomorrow when I clean the bike up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nice! Now I'm thinkng twice about getting that built ltr. Crap lol but if I do go orange I know where I'm spending my shocks thanks fir the great write up =D

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
thanks driver its been great working with you. and i am glad you like them. i guess the wps have GAME ON . looks like i better go order up some more parts.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Very Nice to hear for sure. Im thinking you should let me ride it too ;) I have a week before mine shows up :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very Nice to hear for sure. Im thinking you should let me ride it too ;) I have a week before mine shows up :)
Your bike may be here in a week but atleast now I know you wont be able to keep up!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Maybe not in the power department, but I have plenty of endurance to catch up at the end ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was over at Ron's while he was doing your shocks and those things were pretty nice!. I have Custom Axis on my Outlaw IRS(yea thats 4 shocks) and Fox Evol front/podium rear on my 450mxr. Very nice quality shock on the SX. You made Ron's day with your writup and I see why after reading.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a few pics. They look real nice.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Man those holeshots look worn down, you not like the stockers?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man those holeshots look worn down, you not like the stockers?
Actually they are new. The pics just make them look bad because of the blue tint on them from the dirt where I was riding.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thats right I forgot that you got my tires! lol
Well now that you have something of mine I guess it takes away some of your bikes gayness factor :p
Just kidding, you have yours!

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Ah i see now. :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Raced my first mx race today. Ran the pro class in the whitenuckle winter mx series.
All I can say is Im SOOOO pumped on how my machine feels. The quad handled awesome, and soaked up everything I threw at it. I was running razrcross fronts and stock rears. They hook better than anything Ive ever used. The next closest tire I have used, id say is a brand new holshot mxr6. The track was super destroyed my the 2nd race and I wasnt looking forward to the huge squared off braker bumps and acceleration bumps. Everyone was having issues but my quad worked great. I cant thank Ron enough for getting my suspension working so good. The only thing I did notice was on the big 80ft. table it was bottoming out just a touch. So we are gonna switch my 300lb main for a 350lb main. Should take care of the issue. I had the low speed up a bit to compensate but now I should be able to back it off a touch. All in all the shocks exceeded my expectations. Game on.

Ps. I forgot to tell you guys the best part. My quad hooked up so killer outa the gate drop and I EASILY pulled a 2-3 quad lead on the next guy by the end of the 75 yard holeshot. Infact two guys had nicely build 493ltrs, one high compression highly built ltr and one had a fully built 488 honda. All tuned by me and making 54-57whp on my dyno. This quad just keeps suprising me. I cant wait for glenn helen next week. Im sure IM gonna get smoked but Im still pumped. LOL

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn nice driver! And i'm like 45 minutes from rocketron in indy...maybe I should consider some of his work.
He just did a full set ltr shocks for me. Ill be posting a ride review and pictures when they get here this week.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Great Job Anthony!!! Sounds like you've got a killer setup going! I can't wait to actually get out on mine the first round!!!

Sending one of my rears off to Ron to have worked over. :) Looking forward to the feel!

Jay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts