KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the motor out. Approximately 180 hrs on this stock motor. Going to take her to CT for a new build 540, +1 head, Carb. Not sure if I’m going to upgrade Cam yet (has 8/06). Was looking at RE in Tucson first but they have gone through some changes (John retired and sold the business) and they said they wouldn’t be able to get to it for months. Talked to Allen and he said bring her in. Can’t wait to run her next dune season.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Oh boy! Anxious to hear a ride report. I've got a ton of hours on my stock RFS head and a scarred 525 cylinder that's begging for some work and an overbore.

Dad's factory 540 kitted machine with a 806 cam and stock head feels a little flat on the very top. Even being fed with a 43.5mm carb. My gut tells me the intake valve size and cam are probably holding it back. It runs and pulls so well in the sand everywhere else we don't feel it's worth it to mess with it and make it worse somewhere else. Maybe when it's ready for a rebuild someday.... He's kind of a lugger so bottom end to upper mid range is where he likes to ride it. When I ride it in the dunes I don't notice any drawbacks either. Only when I get on a harder surface like a track do I notice it signing off on the top a bit in the overrev. I've thought about swapping the 41mm carb off of my 505SX to his and vise versa to see if he even misses that big carb. The SX could use it since it likes to sing up there.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh boy! Anxious to hear a ride report. I've got a ton of hours on my stock RFS head and a scarred 525 cylinder that's begging for some work and an overbore.

Dad's factory 540 kitted machine with a 806 cam and stock head feels a little flat on the very top. Even being fed with a 43.5mm carb. My gut tells me the intake valve size and cam are probably holding it back. It runs and pulls so well in the sand everywhere else we don't feel it's worth it to mess with it and make it worse somewhere else. Maybe when it's ready for a rebuild someday.... He's kind of a lugger so bottom end to upper mid range is where he likes to ride it. When I ride it in the dunes I don't notice any drawbacks either. Only when I get on a harder surface like a track do I notice it signing off on the top a bit in the overrev. I've thought about swapping the 41mm carb off of my 505SX to his and vise versa to see if he even misses that big carb. The SX could use it since it likes to sing up there.
I think you are correct. +1 head and a different grind on your cam would do well with that big carb. But first, I would definitely try switching out those Carbs between the bikes and see if your Dad likes that 41 better for the low/mid pull in the dunes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is the a new KTM 540 kit? If so, that's a find. They were discontinued years ago. I used to go to CT when I lived in CA. Allen is an interesting guy.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Is the a new KTM 540 kit? If so, that's a find. They were discontinued years ago. I used to go to CT when I lived in CA. Allen is an interesting guy.
Yea, it’s a OEM KTM 540 kit. Been holding onto this one for a very long time waiting for this re-build. Allen was kind enough to open his shop on Saturday morning so that I could drop everything off since I drove in from AZ. We talked for a while. After, dropping off with him, I took my Raptor PEP shocks to Wayne for service. Both Allen and Wayne are very interesting guys to chat with lol. I’m thankful that both are still doing what they love and helping all of us out. I was bummed that John retired from Racers Edge and Allen told me that Travis at Thumper was gone also. All three of those guys were at the top of my list to build my motor and now it seems it’s just Allen left. So that’s where she went, especially since he is doing head work on my build. I’m not sure who else, in the SW/West coast area is left that has a solid reputation for building built RFS motors. If there are other good quality RFS shops/builders out there (which I’m sure there are) it might be nice to have a thread here on the site with those shops that are still pumping out quality RFS builds.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Couple years ago the local KTM dealer here mentioned they had one of those 540 kits on the shelf. I dug out my credit card REAL fast. when they brought the box out it had been opened. Looked inside and found a 450 piston and cylinder. I was pretty bummed. Likely ended up in one of the owner's hill climb bike projects.

Travis posted over on KTMtalk giving an explanation for his departure from Thumper. Dr told him he needed to give it up due to health conditions. One of his workers bought the business from him and re-named it. From the home page of Thumper Racing:

WE ARE NO LONGER TAKING ORDERS HERE

It is with a heavy heart we have made the decision to close Thumper Racing for medical reasons. Thumper's last day open is February 19, 2021. Our longtime lead mechanic and machinist, Kevin Fox, is opening his own company, Built Motors. His planned opening date is March 8, 2021. Built Motors will support Thumper Racing big bore kits with pistons, gaskets and cylinder work for refreshes. We are confident you can trust Kevin with all of your engine building and machining needs and that he will provide the quality of service you have come to expect and trust from Thumper Racing.
For any PENDING orders or service questions you can still contact us at [email protected]

It has been our honor and privilege to serve 1000's of customer from all over the world for 30+ years.
We have made countless memories and friends and we will miss you all.

Built Motors
1176 Angela Court
Suite 103
Minden, NV 89423
(775) 434-9680
[email protected]
www.builtmotors.com

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Racers Edge in Tucson was my very first choice. I thought I would have enough time before the next season started to drop off the bike and have them build the motor. I was mistaken. I called and they pretty much said it’s not going to happen anytime in the near future and to not bring the bike in as they had no room for it. First time I’ve ever been told that by any shop. They said I could bring the motor in but that it would be months before they got to it. I was super bummed and still am to an extent. John (the original owner) really went above and beyond to re-build my Raptor. My Raptor is a beast.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a RE built 525 smoking a RE built TRX. RE has some of the fastest TRX’s out there at the dunes. Hopefully, the owner of that 525 is on here and he could chime in on his build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts