KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've owned my 525, the left (sprocket side) rear rim has worked loose on two different occassions. Both times, the wheel center has been ruined due to the studs eating into them once the lugs worked loose. I always tighten the lug nuts very snug and I checked them beforehand both times this happened (I know this is the first question everyone asks). I'm curious how this could have happened to the same side with a totally different hub, wheel, and lug nuts each time it happened? Is there something that could cause the one side to loosen up more than another? Maybe vibration or torque or tire type? I'm running dual beadlock hipers w/ razr2's BTW, and I've never had this problem with any other atv that I've owned. I'm completely baffled. I'm almost to the point where I'm about to loctite my lug nuts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would locktide them for sure, if as you say you check them before and everything was good, the flange side of the nuts to the rim, i would just call a priest and have him bless the quad. hehe

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would locktide them for sure, if as you say you check them before and everything was good, the flange side of the nuts to the rim, i would just call a priest and have him bless the quad. hehe
I might need to, for real. I tighten the s*** out of these things anytime I pull a tire off. Does anyone know where I can get some decent locknuts?

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
are you using stock wheels? if you cant find any locally let me know and i can send you some stainless nylon lock nuts or stainless mechanical lock nuts. i am still using the stock and havent had any issues.

are you actually torquing them to the 33 ft.lb. oem spec? also make sure that you tighten the lug nuts with both rear wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you using stock wheels? if you cant find any locally let me know and i can send you some stainless nylon lock nuts or stainless mechanical lock nuts. i am still using the stock and havent had any issues.

are you actually torquing them to the 33 ft.lb. oem spec? also make sure that you tighten the lug nuts with both rear wheels off the ground.
I'm using Tech3 Hipers, and I did the same thing to the stock wheel on the same side. PM me the info on the stainless mechanical locknuts if you don't mind. I'm not positive that I'm getting them to 33 ft. lbs exactly, but I usually tighten them on the stand and then tighten them again once it's off the stand. I'll probably put the airgun and loctite on them this time.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
bugger the 33 ft lbs - thats no where near enough........use a big bar and crack em down to 200 plus. We had loosening problems but once we barred em down (3 ft bar with a support on the end and my full weight stomping on it.....) no more loosening.........

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I'm with Craig.
I've always done mine up till I turn purple in the face.
Never had one come loose.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
i remember flat track racing under the lights last year on my blaster, some guys front wheel on his 400ex came off and rolled int a field, he stopped soon enough, but they never did find his tire and rim lol

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
JM

the stock KTM wheel nuts are really machined down, when you look at them there is bugger all steel left, 13mm socket vs most stock nuts are 14mm or 17mm.

When you really lean on em tightening they actually stretch, once they have partiallly yielded,thats it, they're stuffed.....

I have swapped mine out for a set of 14mm and zero problems, I also run flat washers ala std yamaha setup now to help with wear etc on the rim face from tightening ( I swap tire/rims alot at the track). Plus I have several 14mm lug nut sockets in the tool box but can never seem to find my sole 13mm in a hurry..........

when I was refering to tightening things hard, I was refering to the centre hub nut....... not the wheel nuts, sorry bout that !!

I bought some locknuts for the rear and torqued the s*** out of them with a small cheater bar, maybe this will do the trick! :unsure:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Believe it or not, the rear wheel lug nuts I bought have a 15mm head on them which is kind of strange. I have to use 14mm or smaller on the front rims since a bigger socket won't fit inside the recessed part on Hiper wheels. I may try the washers the next time I take the wheels off. :2thumbsup:

JM

the stock KTM wheel nuts are really machined down, when you look at them there is bugger all steel left, 13mm socket vs most stock nuts are 14mm or 17mm.

When you really lean on em tightening they actually stretch, once they have partiallly yielded,thats it, they're stuffed.....

I have swapped mine out for a set of 14mm and zero problems, I also run flat washers ala std yamaha setup now to help with wear etc on the rim face from tightening ( I swap tire/rims alot at the track). Plus I have several 14mm lug nut sockets in the tool box but can never seem to find my sole 13mm in a hurry..........

when I was refering to tightening things hard, I was refering to the centre hub nut....... not the wheel nuts, sorry bout that !!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
You need to ensure you are monitoring axial free play, see your owner's manual. There are directiosn in monitoring that free play. The lug nuts are not your cause, you need to focus on the main axle nuts that secure the hub to the axle. This is the torque you will check when checking for axial free play.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could the axle locknut (next to the rotor) have something to do with it too? I did have to tighten it a few weeks back because I noticed a little side to side freeplay.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
It's not as likely to be your cause, but the allen on the nut should be monitored for tightness consistently. I like to go over everything after each ride, and it's a habit you should get in to to keep your machine in ideal condition.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
just to be sure, KTM Vogt your real name is CHris Vogtman right? hows the new job at KTM treatin ya?

not to thread jacklol, we havent had this problem with any of our bikes

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a problem with a replacement rear axle hub last year, when the new hub comes from factory the wheel studs are not completely pressed into the hub, therefore when you fit the wheel and tighten the wheel nuts they appear to have reached tension but once you ride the bike a small distance the extra load works the wheel studs loose and makes them pull into the hub further, making the wheel come loose again. You need to retension them after a short ride, 1-2 k's max. I spoke to KTM australia about it as poor manufacture failure but no help.
The part that makes me even cranker is that yesterday I had the rear wheel hub come loose again on the spline while trail riding in the forests and it spun on the axle and stripped the splines stuffed the hub! Also had to be towed out by my mates!
I riding the most expensive atv you can buy but it is the most unreliable!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts