KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you all running race fuel (100+ octane) or just standard 91 octane pump gas? The KTM manual says minimum 91 but I would like to know how much of a difference higher octane would make? I'm trying to justify the extremely high price. Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I ran 91 octane in my stock 525 and in my modded 540 with no problems what so ever. The lowest octane usable without pre-detonation makes the best power.

Brian

·
Registered
430 Posts
Are you all running race fuel (100+ octane) or just standard 91 octane pump gas? The KTM manual says minimum 91 but I would like to know how much of a difference higher octane would make? I'm trying to justify the extremely high price. Thanks.

I ran 91 with stock engine. I going to be running VP110 with the new 13:5:1 piston. Higher octane with a stock piston will not make more power.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
On my maiden voyage on aboard the SX I did 50/50. When I throw in the CP piston, I'll be running C14.

Stryker1513: when your ready for a piston , hit me up! ;)

Jay

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
On my maiden voyage on aboard the SX I did 50/50. When I throw in the CP piston, I'll be running C14.

Jay
Im gonna give you a little advice. YOu will not only be throwing money away but hp. C14 is way over kill for any non boosted atv. c12 would even be over kill for 13.5 piston. My suggestion for safety and power. Run sunoco110 or vp110. Ive spend the last five years on the dyno, racing and building quads. I know what works and what doesnt when it comes to fuels. Ive posted dyno graphs on several different quads testing sunoco 110 vs. c12. Sunoco makes more power everytime. c12 shouldnt be used unless over 14.5 compression.

Not trying to start a debate on fuels. Ive spent enough time testing them and this info is proven. Just trying to help a brotha and others out. Good luck.

My suggestion for original poster is to run 93-94 octane if you can find it. Thats what our gas stations have. I will be running sunoco 110 in my bike when it gets here and the piston goes in.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Jay

Jay,

Sorry man, i have already got a JE piston. But i will def keep you in mind for the rebuild next year. Thanks for lookin out.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We have tons of choices at the pumps here in Boise, Idaho.

Lets see, 87,88,89,90,91,92,93,and 94. LOL seriously Just recently most places like chevron, texaco and stinker all went to 94 octane. Thats what Ill run in my ktm until the piston or decked head goes down. Maybe both!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We have everything from 87-94 octane in Boise. Crazy.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I also plan on testing 94octane pump gas vs. u4.2 to see if there is a difference on this machine. ON my ltr it was a solid 2whp across the board gain. Hopefully the ktm is the same.
I know Jake runs it with no issues. I should have some graphs up as soon as the first of the year. I cant wait.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also plan on testing 94octane pump gas vs. u4.2 to see if there is a difference on this machine. ON my ltr it was a solid 2whp across the board gain. Hopefully the ktm is the same.
I know Jake runs it with no issues. I should have some graphs up as soon as the first of the year. I cant wait.
I now VP U4 works very well on stock and modified 4 strokes. It's a high oxygenated fuel. Modern 4 strokes need more oxygen to work to there full potential. I used it in my sport bike (Yamaha R6) for racing. And you can definitely feel it. 50/50 pump and U4 will do wonders if your on a budget but looking for quick HP gain. Quad will also run cooler with race fuel also. Remember though, race fuel can be very corrosive if left in your fuel lines. Be sure to turn off your gas and run the motor until line and carb out of fuel. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im gonna give you a little advice. YOu will not only be throwing money away but hp. C14 is way over kill for any non boosted atv. c12 would even be over kill for 13.5 piston. My suggestion for safety and power. Run sunoco110 or vp110. Ive spend the last five years on the dyno, racing and building quads. I know what works and what doesnt when it comes to fuels. Ive posted dyno graphs on several different quads testing sunoco 110 vs. c12. Sunoco makes more power everytime. c12 shouldnt be used unless over 14.5 compression.

Not trying to start a debate on fuels. Ive spent enough time testing them and this info is proven. Just trying to help a brotha and others out. Good luck.

My suggestion for original poster is to run 93-94 octane if you can find it. Thats what our gas stations have. I will be running sunoco 110 in my bike when it gets here and the piston goes in.

Have you tried any of the leaded/oxy fuels compared to the no leaded and oxy fuels, like U4.2, MRX01 or U4e?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Have you tried any of the leaded/oxy fuels compared to the no leaded and oxy fuels, like U4.2, MRX01 or U4e?
Ive tested pump vs. av gas
av gas vs. sunoco 110
sunoco 110 vs. u4.2
sunoco 110 vs. c12 two different bikes
sunoco 112 vs. av gas.
I wanna test sunoco 110 vs. e85 sometime soon.

LOL I know I have to much time on my hand. u4.2 did work well. Makes power.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
driver, how did the avgas vs sunoco go ? there are three different av gas ratings ? presume you had the hi lead 100 plus stuff ?

I was interested in what you said about c12 we tried it and could get any gain over our cheap local 100 octane leaded race fuel, makes sense now as we where only running 13:1.......

thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
driver, how did the avgas vs sunoco go ? there are three different av gas ratings ? presume you had the hi lead 100 plus stuff ?

I was interested in what you said about c12 we tried it and could get any gain over our cheap local 100 octane leaded race fuel, makes sense now as we where only running 13:1.......

thanks
The av gas vs. sunoco almost over layed. its an excellent fuel in my opinion and if running between 12.75-13.5 its a great option, and its cheap. I used stuff mentioned above. I have alot of buddies running it in there machines with excellent results. Just leaves a little residue. All bikes run killer on it though. In fact 3-4 of them are running 13.5 compression and nitrous on av gas. These of course are dune machines. LOL

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sunuco is CHEAP to compared to VP fuels. I have had PLENTY of actual track testing going between VPC12 and Sunoco110 and its night and day difference between the two with the S110 bein the winner! NOW if you mix VPU4 strait or mixed, that makes for great results too. But then the COST of the U4 really makes it not so bueno :(

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sunuco is CHEAP to compared to VP fuels. I have had PLENTY of actual track testing going between VPC12 and Sunoco110 and its night and day difference between the two with the S110 bein the winner! NOW if you mix VPU4 strait or mixed, that makes for great results too. But then the COST of the U4 really makes it not so bueno :(
Ill probably run sunoco 110 in my ktm even stock. Unless the u4.2 makes that much more power. I just would rather not take any chances especially in these winter gp races that last 30min. Ill play with it on the dyno though. I just look for any reason to strap on a quad and make some noise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts