KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed the power bowl today and now my quad wont start, it will turn over once but wont stay running, it also backfired through the carb and made my intake pop off

·
Registered
236 Posts
i just installed the power bowl today and now my quad wont start, it will turn over once but wont stay running, it also backfired through the carb and made my intake pop off
ouch that sucks big time. get ahold of bronson on here i know he has dealt with thesze before

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i got it running and i guess it was just the float that was stuck maybe? im not sure but it fired up and i took it for a ride and it seemed to pull a little harder in the mid range. but its leaks a bit from the overflow line, im not sure if i need to tweak the leak jet or what but maybe bronson will know.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
sorry for the delayed response as i was busy as heck over the holiday weekend.

i hate that you are having issues with the r&d bowl. they are the best kept secret as the they are one of the best mods you can do to the fcr-mx carb hands down. it basically fixes all the issues with the carb when it comes to tuning them as well as hesitation you may have.

i would start with your fuel screw if it wont start or stay on. keep backing it out until it does stay running. if you get past 3 turns on the fuel screw i would go up a size in the pilot jet. with the new pilot jet maybe start back at a half a turn out on the fuel screw. keep adjusting it up you can actually hear the idle change. you want the fuel screw to be right where the idle is the smoothest.

as for the leak jet, all that does is adjust how long your acc pump squirt is. that converts to any hesitation why you snap the throttle. typically with the carb off you want the acc pump to squirt at least 5 feet from the carb for 1 whole second. that is the least of my concern right now as if the quad doesnt stay running then the leak jet is not the culprit.

as for the leaking fuel out of the atmospheric vents, i would check and make sure that your float hieght is properly adjusted. is you take the carb off and flip it over you want the float level with the side of the float bowl. kind of hard to explain, although the adjustment is detailed in the repair manual.

i hope this helps. good luck and feel free to msg me if you need some more help!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill have to take it apart again and check those things. thanks for the help

·
Registered
107 Posts
For pilot I'd start with 50 and maybe go as hi as 54. Without powerpump I use 45. When I was using powerpump I gave up around 48 on the pilot. I tossed it to the side and have not used it since. I was kinda waiting to see if Bronson ever got his to work right and it looks like he did and likes it a lot so I may give it another try. I think its a must that you use this with Jd-Jetting. Depending an your elevation it may alter from my set-up which is Blue needle 3rd clip, 185 main jet,1 1/2 turn on fuel mix screw. This is set for temp 70-80F. at sea level. If its hotter use red needle,higher then drop down on main jet. Here's some setting that should get you close.
Elevation: 0-500 185main
Elevation:1000-1500 180main
Elevation:2000-2500 178main
Elevation:3000-3500 175main
I have not been higher than 4000ft elevation. I left 500ft between each setting because you can adjust fuel screw to get you set. Make sure not to accede more than 3 turns out because you have a good chance it will vibrate loose and fall out beyond that. If you have not already installed a fuel mix screw, you'll want to get that to. Here is a new one made by R&D http://www.r1dean.com/cart/index.php?main_...;products_id=48

Little tip if your only making Jet changes. Loosen the clamp in front of the carb and leave the back connected to the air filter boot, then pop up the air filter boot from its seated position and rotate it and it will give you easy access to the bottom carb plug without having to completely remove the tank and all the plastic.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
For pilot I'd start with 50 and maybe go as hi as 54. Without powerpump I use 45. When I was using powerpump I gave up around 48 on the pilot. I tossed it to the side and have not used it since. I was kinda waiting to see if Bronson ever got his to work right and it looks like he did and likes it a lot so I may give it another try. I think its a must that you use this with Jd-Jetting. Depending an your elevation it may alter from my set-up which is Blue needle 3rd clip, 185 main jet,1 1/2 turn on fuel mix screw. This is set for temp 70-80F. at sea level. If its hotter use red needle,higher then drop down on main jet. Here's some setting that should get you close.
Elevation: 0-500 185main
Elevation:1000-1500 180main
Elevation:2000-2500 178main
Elevation:3000-3500 175main
I have not been higher than 4000ft elevation. I left 500ft between each setting because you can adjust fuel screw to get you set. Make sure not to accede more than 3 turns out because you have a good chance it will vibrate loose and fall out beyond that. If you have not already installed a fuel mix screw, you'll want to get that to. Here is a new one made by R&D http://www.r1dean.com/cart/index.php?main_...;products_id=48

Little tip if your only making Jet changes. Loosen the clamp in front of the carb and leave the back connected to the air filter boot, then pop up the air filter boot from its seated position and rotate it and it will give you easy access to the bottom carb plug without having to completely remove the tank and all the plastic.
Good Luck
yeah don't take anything apart... do exactly what voodoo says and just rotate the carb to access the bottom.

voodoo those are some huge pilots... i only use a 45 pj with my 600! i got mine working great and would highly suggest this mod for the carb. i think ktm even agrees so much that they are offering them in there 2009 hard parts catalogue. you dont have to use jd needles for the powerbowl to work. i am using regular kehien needles matter of fact. right now i am testing a NGPR needle out of the HRC kit for the TRX450R. it seems to be working very well right now but i want to test it more. specifically i am testing needles that have very narrow taper near the tip...

good luck screen getting yours working and voodoo you are crazy not to use the bowl!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I should use it or sell it
I Got my quad running so smooth right now I hate to tamper with it. I can mash the throttle from an easy idle and there is no hesitation at all. I was thinking back to when I was trying to use the power pump and I only had a 172main to work with but I was trying to get that hesitation out from bottom so figured main didn't matter but it probably still came into play some what. I never did get the spring installed(what was your trick to that) so I just kept using the bigger o-ring from JD. Anyway reason I was going so big on pilot was a guy from R&D told me he had to go 54 pilot on yfz before he finally got dialed in. Those guys at R&D where top notch on there P.R. very helpful. Also at the time I was trying to get it to work I had not learned the trick of turning the carb so I had taken it on and off at least 10 times so I was pretty much done with it by then. I think If I was to try again I could get it working.
To Bad you live so Far away Bronson, be nice to have someone with your knowledge in driving distance. I'm not sure what kind dunes Texas has but when it come time to start checking off places you just got to go to, look me up when Oregon is on your list
Right now we got Sand fest going on and at the end of the month is Dune Fest.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Bronson; very narrow tip at the end, this is exactly where we are at with my YFZ, ditched the JD needles as they just didn't work well with the bored carb and over fuelled to hell off the bottom to mid !!. Very lean needle in there then hand finished the end to get top end fuelling right .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i tore the carb back apart and found some shavings in the bowl, they were like a white clear plastic? I cleaned them out, then put it back together but didnt get a chance to get a look at the float as it was going to start to rain.

So i put it all back together and took it for a rip, it hauls azz, none or hardly any hesitation. but if i stop and shake the quad a tiny amount of gas comes out of the overflow, so it must be my float.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts