KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i am in need of questions to be aswered before i decide on my purchase. I am not familiar with KTM's at all and i need to know how reliable and strong are the KTM motors compared to the Jap model engines. Also are the parts for KTM's hard to come buy and are the bikes very tempermental being am I going to be doing more tinkering with it to keep it going. If it helps I am looking at the new 505 sx Model.

Thanks,
CandyMan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey guys i am in need of questions to be aswered before i decide on my purchase. I am not familiar with KTM's at all and i need to know how reliable and strong are the KTM motors compared to the Jap model engines. Also are the parts for KTM's hard to come buy and are the bikes very tempermental being am I going to be doing more tinkering with it to keep it going. If it helps I am looking at the new 505 sx Model.

Thanks,
CandyMan
The KTM's are extremely reliable. Any liquid machine is going to require good upkept matience to run right. Parts-should be able to get pretty much everything through your deal, ive never had a problem. I have the 450xc and the only problems were from the lack on my part.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
very reliable, and the jap quads cant touch that motor, 53hp and goodbye

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats really good to hear my other question is. Ive also been hearing that they do run lean from the factory is this true? And if so what do you recommend for a jetting i live in Northwest Iowa. After the quad is broken in I will be taking it in to get Dyno tuned, but i think the quad should be well broken in before i attempt to get it dyno tuned correct me if im wrong. I just dont want to have it blow the engine during break in so im sure i should rejet it before i begin breaking it in.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thats really good to hear my other question is. Ive also been hearing that they do run lean from the factory is this true? And if so what do you recommend for a jetting i live in Northwest Iowa. After the quad is broken in I will be taking it in to get Dyno tuned, but i think the quad should be well broken in before i attempt to get it dyno tuned correct me if im wrong. I just dont want to have it blow the engine during break in so im sure i should rejet it before i begin breaking it in.
JD jet kit. Best money i could of spent. you get everything you need & their customer service is amazing.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
yep, its all you need with these bikes, we have raced it a full season and it has finished every race it started provided the rider is consious and hasnt managed to sack himself on the bars, the only 2 times i havent finished this year were when i snapped the stem rolling it, and when the end of the bars met the twins as i went over the bars. we have had zero technical problems other than a bad clutch fluid line

·
Registered
338 Posts
These ktm motors are very very reliable and super stout. I would imagine that the new ktms are on par with a exhaust and a good port job of one of the japanese bikes. Alls i plan to do is throw on an exhaust and jd jet kit and be off to the races for my power!

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
my buddys yfz has a port job, full system and a hi-comp piston, ts dead even with my XC with a full system

1 - 11 of 11 Posts