KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok on my 08 525XC I've had issues the last 2 times I've ridden.

It actually happened one time about 3 months ago but cleared up after a few minutes.

Both that time and 2 weekends ago it was wet so I figured water on the filter or possibly on the spark plug.

What it does is this: It cranks fine. But as soon as you give it gas (even with the clutch in) it cuts out and wont rev out. If you try to go it just dies. It did this at the end of a race two weeks ago so I tore it down and there was water on the spark plug so I cleaned it out dried everything checked connections and it seems fine start it up it runs great.

Well I had a race this weekend. I load it up and it runs fine. As soon as I unload it to start it up it starts it again. This is the first time its done it without any water or being ridden. We mess with it just rev and rev and it clears out. I ride to the line and as soon as I shut it off for the dead engine start and turn it back on it does it again!!! We have to jump start it once I'm towed back to the truck because the battery went dead. But as soon as it was jumped boom ran fine and I did 4 laps with the quad running perfect (didn't stall it once). Get back to the truck turn it off and back on and it does it again.

So what do you think it could be? I do have a rekluse but I don't think thats the issue since it runs great when it starts going. One guy says it may be the battery not having enough power to push the stator since my battery seems low. Carb? I don't think there is junk in there since its so new but possibly. Electrical? Where should I check? ANY IDEAS?????????

Thanks for any help you can give!!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ok on my 08 525XC I've had issues the last 2 times I've ridden.

It actually happened one time about 3 months ago but cleared up after a few minutes.

Both that time and 2 weekends ago it was wet so I figured water on the filter or possibly on the spark plug.

What it does is this: It cranks fine. But as soon as you give it gas (even with the clutch in) it cuts out and wont rev out. If you try to go it just dies. It did this at the end of a race two weeks ago so I tore it down and there was water on the spark plug so I cleaned it out dried everything checked connections and it seems fine start it up it runs great.

Well I had a race this weekend. I load it up and it runs fine. As soon as I unload it to start it up it starts it again. This is the first time its done it without any water or being ridden. We mess with it just rev and rev and it clears out. I ride to the line and as soon as I shut it off for the dead engine start and turn it back on it does it again!!! We have to jump start it once I'm towed back to the truck because the battery went dead. But as soon as it was jumped boom ran fine and I did 4 laps with the quad running perfect (didn't stall it once). Get back to the truck turn it off and back on and it does it again.

So what do you think it could be? I do have a rekluse but I don't think thats the issue since it runs great when it starts going. One guy says it may be the battery not having enough power to push the stator since my battery seems low. Carb? I don't think there is junk in there since its so new but possibly. Electrical? Where should I check? ANY IDEAS?????????

Thanks for any help you can give!!!!
Check the tps on the carb. It may be outta wack just a hair, which could be causing most of what your explaining

·
Registered
430 Posts
How do you adjust it?

You loosen the screw that holds it to the carb and turn it all the way one way or the other. This is easier with two people. Have someone try to start the quad with key and switch set to run. As its turning over turn the tps slowly to the opposite side. When the quad starts and stays running, stop turning and re-tighten the screw. Turn the quad off and then start again to confirm its in the right spot.

I've had this problem a couple times, it just vibrates loose and if its even a hair outta wack the bike runs like crap or wont even run/start at all.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my TPS was fine - everything was checking out fine. Put the bigger battery on no problems. Then it started doing it again. Found out it was the map switch selector that I put on. I started tapping on it and it started running perfect. Took it off and now no problems. Just an FYI if anyone else has issues like this with a map select button.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well my TPS was fine - everything was checking out fine. Put the bigger battery on no problems. Then it started doing it again. Found out it was the map switch selector that I put on. I started tapping on it and it started running perfect. Took it off and now no problems. Just an FYI if anyone else has issues like this with a map select button.

I was unaware there was a map selector "button". I thought there was only that 1 brownish wire that you disconnected for "performance mode"?

·
Registered
500 Posts
kTm makes an after market switch you can install so you don't have to physically plug and unplug the brown wire, just push the button.

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts