KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody
My questions to forum members –

Has anybody ever been told they need extra maintenance on their ATV at all, other than what is specified in the maintenance manual, anywhere in the world?

Is it just my bikes having this issue? It is a progressive starting problem until they just don’t start at all.

Can they be fixed?

Why Do I ask?
My name is Kim and I was running quad bike and gold prospecting tours in Western Australia until recently. I have lost too much money investing in the bikes.
I had purchased 6 Polaris Quad Bikes from Polaris Central in Perth and received them in June 2012. This cost over $60,000 AU. The bikes were never abused and maintenance was performed to specifications. 5 out of 6 bikes had some serious issues.

As two of the bikes are completely broken down within hours after being sent back to Polaris to be fixed, I pursued Polaris to get answers to the constant problems and wanted to have the bikes fixed properly.

Polaris Australia response was the following:

We are aware of the very fine dust that is in the northern parts of Australia. In these extreme dust conditions additional air filter maintenance is required on any internal combustion engine. If the air filter becomes plugged with dust, the vacuum of the engine will suck in dust from an alternative location, we believe this is what has been happening with your units. We repaired 2 of your units as good will as we are certain that this issue was not caused by a defect, rather through a lack of air filter maintenance. Unfortunately this has caused the engines on your units to ingest dust which has resulted in engine damage and excessive oil consumption. Regrettably Polaris will not be able to repair these additional engines under warranty.

Firstly we are not in Northern Australia

Secondly we were not informed by word of mouth or in writing that the bikes needed “EXTRA” filter maintenance

Thirdly, I am curious to know why they are selling the bikes in Australia if they cannot handle the Australian Conditions

Lastly, the two bikes they supposedly repaired under “GOODWILL” broke down totally within hours of use.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks heaps
Kim

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's just common sense that if you are riding in extra dusty conditions your air filter will require more maintenance. The owner's manual for my truck says the same thing.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Ive never had luck with polaris, and neither has my dad. Will not buy a Polaris ever again in the future. if you want reliable, go with honda or yamaha. KTM wasnt bad but they no longer make them... In my opinion you would probably be further ahead with another brand machine.

now, obviously if your filter is dirty, it needs cleaned. is that your problem... im not sure...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Kim,

Welcome to the forum!

That's a super vague description. What were the atv's? I am assuming KTM powered outlaws? What maintenance were you doing? Knowing it was dusty air filters need different things such as more frequent cleaning or different oils to protect against dust vs sand vs water vs mud etc etc. When the failures occurred what broke? How were the repairs done etc? It's likely that you had a dealer who simply did not want to handle the issue however I've been a 10yr polaris owner and swear by them. I've had good luck but also use good practices regarding maintenance and repairs. To simply go blindly by a specified service interval does no good. That would be like saying a tire that is a "50,000 mile" rating will always go 50k. It may or may not depending on how it's rotated, inflated, and used on the vehicle.

Please provide some more insight on the issue. Tons of knowledge here so we'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You guys are awesome! I love this site its by far the best. Lots of helpful people. Hope everyone has a great holiday and may your cheers be joly as the man in the red suit. Thats right im bleeding orange again

Reactions: ShaneJonez4

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hmmm, are you sure you're putting enough oil on the filters?

When I first bought my KTM I had the same issue. I wasn't putting enough oil on the filters and I went to a dusty place. It didn't last very long.

The entire filter has to be well covered with oil. Then there's those things you put over the air filter if you ride in sandy/dusty areas. My favorite oil to use is the one that you can spread on the filters with your hands, not the spray ones.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Outerwears filters....those are the prefilters that repel the macro junk like sand spread. I use the spray oil on the main filter but douse the schitt out of it and rub it in. Dont forget your transmission/crankcase breather tube...run a little k&n on there as well, and something on your carb lines. Im shocked machines these days come unfiltered on these tubes that suck and push as much as they do!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
make sure you use a good oil like Maxima Fab 1 in the blue and black can. the stickier the better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts