KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the ultimate goal is to get the 540 kit in my bike. but on the other hand have been thinking of doing some porting on the bike. if i ported everything what type of gains could i expect with my hmf pipe/header and currently the JD jetting?

·
Registered
769 Posts
As far as I know no one has just done porting, seems everyone goes deeper at the same time, so here's my guess, unshroud the valves, blend the chamber and bowls, +1 KW intake valves, and remove the base gasket, I think will net about 4 to 5hp, now add a 806 cam and gain more.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
porting is one of those things that greatly compliments alot of other mods. Building up an engine with more compression & cam with out porting and related head work doesn't allow the full value of those added parts to be achieved. If you plan to go 540 then a good head is a must in order to get the value out of those parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree. I cant remember what the stock head flows, but on most builds like 540 and 570 kits you see pretty good gains. When you see gains with a bore size increase you usually know the head is doing it's job. I honestly dont think with just porting you'll see a gain. I'd spend $100 and get the carb bored first and you'll see a couple hp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts