KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got tired of the backfiring this weekend so today i tore into the KTM to try and fix it. Probably the hardest part for me was getting the gosh danged springs off the header. i only skint one knuckle and stabbed myself once. so now im bleeding all over the place and every time i squeeze the pliers more blood flows. great start. well I had to take the right side of my nerfs loose and part of the left side loose.had to take three wuarters of the skid plate loose. had to take the slip on off and finally wiggled the header far enough foward and down so i could silicon it. going back together went really easy so well see how it works out. were supposed to go to bulcher on sunday so keep your fingers crossed

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i took it out for awhile at bulcher and so far no backfire! sounded like a different machine. all the blood was well worth it.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
yeah my dealer told me to get some silicon and put that on too..

sounds like a pain in the a$$ but it should work..

i'll have to try it

thanks for the info

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i didnt have to take the shock off. it took some manuvering but i got it about three inches away fromthe head. i used a high temp silicon. im sure some are better than other but thats all i had

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
yeah my exhaust is leaking really bad right now

thanks for the info on the silicon

once it warms up i'll have to get everything sealed up

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah my exhaust is leaking really bad right now

thanks for the info on the silicon

once it warms up i'll have to get everything sealed up

Try using Permatex mufller and pipe crack sealer. It is different then the Permatex silicone. I had to special order ($8) it from Orielys auto parts store.

I tried the silicone and it just blew out after a few rides

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try using Permatex mufller and pipe crack sealer. It is different then the Permatex silicone. I had to special order ($8) it from Orielys auto parts store.

I tried the silicone and it just blew out after a few rides.

Go to (permatex) web site for more information on this product.
Travis from KTM TALK used this producted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO just getting the flange piece welded to the head pipe is the best solution for this problem. using silicon or muffler sealer is just asking for trouble....or a reoccuring problem at least. i did the exhaust cement stuff at first and it just blew right out.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
IMO just getting the flange piece welded to the head pipe is the best solution for this problem. using silicon or muffler sealer is just asking for trouble....or a reoccuring problem at least. i did the exhaust cement stuff at first and it just blew right out.
i saw pictures of that...it looks like a good idea but i dont really wanna have that welded..

i've tried exhaust cement too on my old quad...it didnt work..it blew off like yours did

i'm hoping this silicon will work better but i'm not gonna try it until spring

·
Registered
64 Posts
i saw pictures of that...it looks like a good idea but i dont really wanna have that welded..

i've tried exhaust cement too on my old quad...it didnt work..it blew off like yours did

i'm hoping this silicon will work better but i'm not gonna try it until spring

that's cool, mine in holding up well but doesn't have much ride time on it either. i've heard that maybe i could run into it breaking possibly, but i think that would be due to a poor weld or mis-alignment when it is welded then bolted back on. o well, i guess i'll see soon enough! good luck!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
that's cool, mine in holding up well but doesn't have much ride time on it either. i've heard that maybe i could run into it breaking possibly, but i think that would be due to a poor weld or mis-alignment when it is welded then bolted back on. o well, i guess i'll see soon enough! good luck!
yea using silicone will work for a lil but like the one guy said weld the flange..the silicone will just start leaking again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just cut off an 1/8 of an inch off the end of the two exhaust pipes that slide onto the motor. Has not popped since. Very easy. And that was 2 months ago.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts