KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked in someone else's thread, and I guess that it got over looked. :p

I'm not having any problems, but after countless problems w/ my YFZ over heating, I have to wonder. How do you know if your engines running hot? I mean there are four lights on the dash and aside from the neutral, in my mind their all debatable about how useful they actually are. :huh: A hot light though makes ton of sense!

Maybe I missed it in the manuals. :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You could buy a a water temp gauge that goes into the coolant hoses. That way if you ever had a doubt you could just look down at it and know...Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I bought an oversized impellar from Mino MX in Europe and gave it to Rath Racing to make something similar that can be sold over here for a cheaper price and without the euro conversion. It's supposed to flow 30% more coolant. Bronson has been using one with good results. You can also take out your thermostat.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I've heard that you can route a hose from the overflow up the stem and out on the handlebar somewhere. If it starts to overheat and push coolant out you will see it right away.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've heard that you can route a hose from the overflow up the stem and out on the handlebar somewhere. If it starts to overheat and push coolant out you will see it right away.

lol

Then the 200+ degree coolant blows all over you and you and realized how bad of an idea that was as you are wiping it off your face!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Another thing is, u should pay attention to the cooling system. Some time, u might get few branches in the actual grill, which might stop the fan from spinning. Just keep on listening, u can actually hear it while riding...

·
Registered
592 Posts
lol

Then the 200+ degree coolant blows all over you and you and realized how bad of an idea that was as you are wiping it off your face!
lol
You don't aim it your face, but it would be a good way to take out some frustration on the guy next to you if you were going to DNF. I've actually done this mod before on a Banshee I had by zip tying the line onto the backside of some Powermadds, it works and the coolant comes out with pretty good force. Not to mention that you also leave a piece the extends out past the handlebar/handguard so it makes it hard to get the stuff on you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the problem right there, the thermostat...PULL IT!
Why? Isn't the thermostat what turns the fan on?

I'm just surprised that KTM wouldn't have a temp switch installed.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Right, but if the motor has to build up to 190 before the stat comes on to turn the fan on. So why not just take out that stat to have CONSTANT cooling and the fan ONLY comes on when the fluid is HOT? Its always worked well for my bikes that I have had. It usually runs cooler

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I could wire a switch in. I did on the yam, but that was only because of inconsistency with the cooling system. If it's running all the time though, have you ever burnt out your motor?

Again I'm not having any problems, I'm just trying to ensure none arises.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I put a trailtech on my quads, it will give you max temp and current temp along with a settable temp light. I know when mine gets hot and do not guess. If you develop a water leak and there is not enough water to steam then you are in trouble if you only have steam as an indicator.

The thermostat removal works great, Ron did his recently and was ecstatic about it. Both Mine have it done. I use the plugged port to run my temp sensor into the jug. The setup that comes with the trailtech is junk. A bushing, 3/4 hose, and 2 clamps will plug the other port on the jug and give you an accurate temp reading.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I put a trailtech on my quads, it will give you max temp and current temp along with a settable temp light. I know when mine gets hot and do not guess. If you develop a water leak and there is not enough water to steam then you are in trouble if you only have steam as an indicator.

The thermostat removal works great, Ron did his recently and was ecstatic about it. Both Mine have it done. I use the plugged port to run my temp sensor into the jug. The setup that comes with the trailtech is junk. A bushing, 3/4 hose, and 2 clamps will plug the other port on the jug and give you an accurate temp reading.

:huh: So pulling the stat?? it isnt like hard to start up in the colder temps/run in the colder temps???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts