KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team

we have had the ohlins race kit in few a few weeks, first tryout was a forestry sprint race, felt good, nice and low and plush.

issues: the shortened front shock bodies drop the nose to much, yes the rear is shortened also but I'd question the need to shorten the fronts, chassis bellies out and heel guards drag on the ground during hard G outs, yes this is on 18 rears and 20 fronts. Damping is really nice, still waiting for the heavier springs.

yesterday out at a sand mx track, this cuts up real bad and has huge holes and kickers, this is when the fun started. due to the big holes went out on 21 fronts and 20 rears....... chassis bellied several times in the nose, blows through the travel to easy, definitely needs the heavier front spring set, damping was excellent though, really soaked it up.

The rear gave us problems all day, the rebound to compressions seems off, as set with the ohlins setting just to slow so it packs and kicks....... basically at the lightest compression clicker setting it's still to slow, back the rebound off to get the compression right, yes the rebound clicker also alters the compression, try it you will see, the compression clicker adds compression at the reservior, this additional to the piston stack shim setting. Compression nice rebound to damn fast, kick city as the arse tries to pass the nose, scary as in the braking bumps, very nearly over the bars.................... slowing the rebound to keep it under control, compression is to heavy to be smooth, skips and breaks traction and just not smooth, already on the lightest compression clicker setting............... hmmmmm

the nose down arse up ride is still there after all this money spent......, just the whole chassis is lower now. So after spending a wad of cash, whilslt the front is a huge improvment damping wise the rear still needs work.

UPDATE: GET THE DUAL RATE REAR SPRING:THIS IS A MUST

At this point I'd question going to the shorter front shock bodies in the kit, definetly shorten the rear and revalve front & back is a must. Definetly needs the heavier spring set in the front and the dual rate in the rear. Probably a reshim in the main rear stack to lighten the compression to get it right i guess...........

Put it this way my Axis suspended Yamaha would have left it for dead......
not a happy comparison........... where i'd be wfo on the Yamahama the KTM is trying to eject me over the bars, not nice at all.......... result = plain slow..........

watching video replay showed it very clearly....... kick buck all day........

this was a really rough track with deep whoops and sharp edges but certainly showed the weakness of the rear end to "take it" and track through it...........

Ron if your reading this I'd appreciate your guidance for a down under racer, is this a reshim of the main stack or can we lighten up the compression slicker shimming ???

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Team

we have had the ohlins race kit in few a few weeks, first tryout was a forestry sprint race, felt good, nice and low and plush.

issues: the shortened front shock bodies drop the nose to much, yes the rear is shortened also but I'd question the need to shorten the fronts, chassis bellies out and heel guards drag on the ground during hard G outs, yes this is on 18 rears and 20 fronts. Damping is really nice, still waiting for the heavier springs.

yesterday out at a sand mx track, this cuts up real bad and has huge holes and kickers, this is when the fun started. due to the big holes went out on 21 fronts and 20 rears....... chassis bellied several times in the nose, blows through the travel to easy, defintely needs the heavier front spring set, damping was excellent though, really soaked it up.

The rear gave us problems all day, the rebound to compressions seems off, as set with the ohlins setting just to slow so it packs and kicks....... basically at the lightest compression clicker setting it's still to slow, back the rebound off to get the compression right, yes the rebound clicker also alters the compression, try it you will see, the compression clicker adds compression at the reservior, this additional to the piston stack shim setting. Compression nice rebound to damn fast, kick city as the arse tries to pass the nose, scary as in the braking bumps, very nearly over the bars.................... slowing the rebound to keep it under control, compression is to heavy to be smooth, skips and breaks traction and just not smooth, already on the lightest compression clicker setting............... hmmmmm

the nose down arse up ride is still there after all this money spent......, just the whole chassis is lower now. So after spending a wad of cash, whilslt the front is a huge improvment damping wise the rear still needs work.

At this point I'd question going to the shorter front shock bodies in the kit, definetly shorten the rear and revalve front & back is a must. Definetly needs the heavier spring set in the front and the dual rate in the rear. Probably a reshim in the main rear stack to lighten the compression to get it right i guess...........

Put it this way my Axis suspended Yamaha would have left it for dead......
not a happy comparison........... where i'd be wfo on the Yamahama the KTM is trying to eject me over the bars, not nice at all.......... result = plain slow..........

watching video replay showed it very clearly....... kick buck all day........

this was a really rough track with deep whoops and sharp edges but certainly showed the weakness of the rear end to "take it" and track through it...........

Ron if your reading this I'd appreciate your guideance for a down under racer, is this a reshim of the main stack or can we lighten up the comression slicker shimming ???

did you take all the red biscuits out of the fronts you should do this i have redone a set that some one else had not done this they were still there need to come out

you need to check and make certain that the rod that runs threw the rear shaft is set to the currect length so rebound can be set currectly. could be to short

sounds like the valving needs soften up a little

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GET THE DUAL RATE REAR SPRING; I should have been clear that we have been waiting for the dual rate rear spring and had re used the stocker..... BIG MISTAKE

Dual rate finally came in & I just fitted it up, what a HUGE improvement, this is way more like it !!!!! ride height drops another 3/4" in the rear to, also lifted the front two clips and NOW it sits right. The rear is plush city and sits and feels like my dual rate AXIS, just need to get the compression lighten up a tad more and it will be hauling.

I'm stunned at the difference...........

[attachment=3795:DSC00830.JPG]

comes with two different separators so you can tune when it comes onto the heaveir main spring, I went with the shortest setup (softest ) and will test from there......

[attachment=3796:DSC00832.JPG]

[attachment=3797:DSC00834.JPG]

comparison of the shorter eye, not much in it, but it sure helps, this should have been the standard fitment.......

[attachment=3798:DSC00835.JPG]

ready to rock......

dont go budget and skip the dual rate rear end........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
hey guys i have al these parts in stock or can get them next day call me 317 319 4381 thanks

GAME ON

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
hey guys i have al these parts in stock or can get them next day call me 317 319 4381 thanks

GAME ON
Hey Ron, you did my set up for CC and I was wondering if I can get the springs and swap them out for MX, or do I have to get a whole new rear shock set up for MX. I actually using the set up you did for MX as well, and it works pretty good, but on big jumps it will sometimes bottom, but not tooo often. Let me know what you think.
Chris
Corona, Ca

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd go for the spring swap; if the shocks damping is working fine then up the spring rate

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey guys, I have a few questions on the dual rate rear. One, do these kits come in different spring rates to account for different rider weights? I weigh 215 lbs. and that is usually above the target weight of manufactures--175 lbs. seems low to me. Two, can it be installed by a skilled home mechanic? As a gearhead I like to do most things myself. Three, will I need any special tools?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey guys, I have a few questions on the dual rate rear. One, do these kits come in different spring rates to account for different rider weights? I weigh 215 lbs. and that is usually above the target weight of manufactures--175 lbs. seems low to me. Two, can it be installed by a skilled home mechanic? As a gearhead I like to do most things myself. Three, will I need any special tools?
Im the same way (do it yourselfer). But in all honestly, send your shocks to Rocket Ron and get the $400 deal or $700 deal. You WILL NOT be dissappointed

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the springs are a 5 minute fit up with simple tools. No problems. See my post on springs, Ohlins make a big range of rear springs, with alot more than what i listed, you'll get one to match your needs no problems.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
do any of you guys have the part numbers for the front and rear Ohlins race kit?

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
hey guys dont forget i have put together a gncc kit ,valving changes, and spring changes,for a very compitive pricing. total packages start at 700

call me 317 319 4381 thanks rocketron GAME ON

1 - 12 of 12 Posts