KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much is it?

would it be better getting the ohlin or precision?

because i love precision and i dont want to be disappointed if i get the ohlin thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have heard good things about both, to me it would come more down to price. My KTM dealer was telling me about a special that KTM is offering on GPR stabilizers, im gonna look into it more tomarrow when i go down there to hopefully purchase my 450sx

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I have the precission.
My thoughts were that the majority of pros in the States can't be wrong.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've had good results out of the Ohlins, but the Precision is a nice setup too. I chose the Ohlins due to the price difference and the fact that I didn't have to make any modifications, you can buy one from Scotts Performance for around $420 too. The only difference in the KTM version and the Scotts version is the link arm design, the stabilizer is exactly the same. I don't think you can go wrong with a rotary type stabilizer no matter which brand you choose, though. JMO

·
Registered
430 Posts
bump for percision. Love mine

·
Registered
219 Posts
I put a GPR on mine. It went on very easy. I have had many GPR's on different machines from my Hare scramble dirt bike to my Yamaha R6 AFM race bike to my 640 Adventure bike. I tried a Scotts but didn't like it. So went back to a GPR. I'd go with a GPR. Just my view. Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The people that buy a product just because a pro uses it needs to under stand something. The reason the pro is using it is because he is sponsored by that company. So he, most of the time is given it to him for free. It is just advertisement for that company. The pro rider is getting paid for endorsing that particular product. Do the research before you make a purchase and you should be satisfied with whatever you buy. Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
percision, I had a ohlins or scotts and it broke my frame where the mounting plate is. I called scotts and they said my bump stop were to big and that was the reason for the brake. To fix the problem they want to weld the stops bigger. There is not play in the amount of rotation so any diffence it bump stop will cause it to turn to far and over time and brake your frame. I did not like that answer so they refunded my money. I also called ktm and they told me there was frames at there hq. that were broke and knew about a problem. There is a reason why the pro's who are sponsored by ktm and ohlins are using percision. It will not brake you frame and you can finish the race. Also when talking to scotts about this they had gotten calls about the linkage arms on the ohlins braking.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I put a GPR on mine. It went on very easy. I have had many GPR's on different machines from my Hare scramble dirt bike to my Yamaha R6 AFM race bike to my 640 Adventure bike. I tried a Scotts but didn't like it. So went back to a GPR. I'd go with a GPR. Just my view. Good luck.
Glad to hear you like your GPR, im really interested in one. What adjustments are able to be made with this setup?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one quick question if i get the scotts stab. with out the mounts would it work on the mount that is already set up for the ohlins on the 450sx

·
Registered
430 Posts
The people that buy a product just because a pro uses it needs to under stand something. The reason the pro is using it is because he is sponsored by that company. So he, most of the time is given it to him for free. It is just advertisement for that company. The pro rider is getting paid for endorsing that particular product. Do the research before you make a purchase and you should be satisfied with whatever you buy. Good luck.

If the pros didn't like it, they wouldn't use it, weather there being paid or not. Winning is more important and a much bigger purse than just from some company.

~Just a humble thought

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
im not picky at all about my setup, i liked the ohlins stabilizer, but ive never tried prascision and my buddy blew one(ohlins) and had to send it back

·
Registered
219 Posts
If the pros didn't like it, they wouldn't use it, weather there being paid or not. Winning is more important and a much bigger purse than just from some company.

~Just a humble thought
For sure, winning is everything. But when you have a few reputable companies that all put out a great particular product ie. steering dampers. You should go with what you know or research. not just what Joe Racer is using. No one says you can't use Joe Races as a place to get ideas! If Joe Racer has a choice between three dampers, Scotts, GPR, and Precision. Granted, all three will do a great job. And with that, it comes down to economics. Who will pay him more to run their product. Sure, This doesn't work on all products for an ATV. But, for most dampers it does. I want people to learn to research. Not be blinded by advertisement. Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
35 Posts

You can tell someone to do research, but in fact you yourself probably should have done some research..

Last time I researched precision stabilizers they did NOT sponser ONE pro, let alone ALOT.. Best if luck..

If I am wrong, prove it..

alias

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can tell someone to do research, but in fact you yourself probably should have done some research..

Last time I researched precision stabilizers they did NOT sponser ONE pro, let alone ALOT.. Best if luck..

alias
They make a Bill Balance edition with his signature made onto the stabilizer. I'm sure he received something from the deal, even if it was free stabilizers and no money.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you do your researching you will find precision is used by a ton of pro riders and they pay for their own precision dampener. That is why I chose the Precision. Sure there are many other rotary dampeners out there but as they were all pretty much within the same price range I chose to go with what I know to be the best. I have used both types, stick and the Precision and broke the stick type. therefore my bike will carry the Precision and keep me safe until I'm to old to ride.

·
Registered
219 Posts

alias
Look, I'm not forcing anyone to go with any particular damper. I go with what I know. And I ride bikes and Quads and all have a GPR. But that's just me. Look, I am sponsored by Lockhart Phillips for street bike racing. And I get parts at cost. So, maybe your precious pro riders got the damper below cost from precision. But for dam sure, he didn't pay what we pay or even cost. And that is what people get when they're sponsored. I research product not company. Almost everything on a top level riders bike or quad is somehow a sponsor of some sort. When a rider gets to that level of racing. He will be dammed to give a company free advertisement. Hell, there's not one company name on all my bikes or quads other than the name of the company that made the quad or bike. Either way, research or not. If you want to buy a product just because a pro uses it, then be my guest. But without you researching it, you are just another sucker blinded by ADVERTISEMENT. I guess this topic could be considered as research for for someone. Good luck to everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Look, I'm not forcing anyone to go with any particular damper. I go with what I know. And I ride bikes and Quads and all have a GPR. But that's just me. Look, I am sponsored by Lockhart Phillips for street bike racing. And I get parts at cost. So, maybe your precious pro riders got the damper below cost from precision. But for dam sure, he didn't pay what we pay or even cost. And that is what people get when they're sponsored. I research product not company. Almost everything on a top level riders bike or quad is somehow a sponsor of some sort. When a rider gets to that level of racing. He will be dammed to give a company free advertisement. Hell, there's not one company name on all my bikes or quads other than the name of the company that made the quad or bike. Either way, research or not. If you want to buy a product just because a pro uses it, then be my guest. But without you researching it, you are just another sucker blinded by ADVERTISEMENT. I guess this topic could be considered as research for for someone. Good luck to everyone!
Honestly I somewhat agree with what your saying. I have personally bought and used the Elka 3 & 5, Precision & Ohlins (scotts) along with countless stick style stabilizers... I must say that I wasn't too impressed with either of the Elka's. I do like the Precision as I believe it is a tried and true technology. I decided to go with the Ohlins on my KTM just becuase I wanted to try something else and I must say that I am really impressed with it.

i am really interested in the new atv GPR damper with the adjustable controls that mount to the handlebars. i adjust my ohlins all the time and the idea of not having to dismount and be able to adjust the dampner is just awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts