KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I just picked up my 09 450sx last week. She has less than 10 hours on it, everything is still stock, even the tires haha. I was wondering what are the best websites that you have found to order aftermarket parts from? I will also be using this quad more for trail riding rather than motocross, I'm wondering ways of possibly raising the ride height a little. Thanks.

One last question, how often does everyone do maintenance on their machines?

10422220_10205458354079463_8405320713525096553_n.jpg 10978541_10205458357279543_5718303095939267921_n.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats, That's a beautiful bike. I have found there is not a lot aftermarket sites anymore for theses quads. A lot of parts you can find will
be on this forum or Ebay. On the maintenance side, one the things I have been told is that the piston has to be changed every 30 hours on the
SX engine. I have never driven a SX but I bet it is a BLAST. Have Fun.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I'm a little jealous haha. Check out the "6 basic mods" thread in the SX engine section. Get an hour meter on it and change oil religiously at 5 hours with a quality synthetic oil. These have a high-end engine in them that demands attention, but they go like crazy and last if you take care of them. Stock pistons are the most durable but expensive. You should be able to get 50+ hours out of it, especially trail riding. I got 63hrs out of my last hi-comp sx piston before it cracked across the crown (505s are more know for this failure). Some people had issues early on with the rod bearings going bad quickly. I've always let mine warm up and don't give it ANY extra throttle until it is up to operating temperature. I've heard the factory dirt bike mechanics recommend this warmup procedure with this engine too. Also, let it idle to cool down to where the fan shuts off before turning it off.

A set of taller tires will help get your ride height up a bit. After that you can increase the preload if you want more ride height. Beware that the suspension setup on these is pretty stiff from the start, so expect to have to back the compression adjusters out for trail riding.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Congrats on the find!

My first race on my SX was in bone-stock form, minus changing from 20/18 tires to 21/20. The ground clearance was more than adequate for the part MX, part XC, part desert track layout typical of WORCS series races. I believe I went down on tooth on the front sprocket as well to compensate for the taller rear tire. As others have said, the stock WP suspension is setup for a 225+ lb. rider, so back out the compression for sure! I've used my SX for everything over the years, and if you follow the pro motocross/supercross rider mentality, it is easier to get a full SX bike to work well in off-road conditions than the other way around.

As for parts, the engine is straight out of a '07-'11 450 SX-F dirt bike (check my years for accuracy but I think that's it). Any KTM dealer can help there, as can your local shop. LoneStar Racing, Houser, Rath, and a few others are still making parts for the KTM quads as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
As for parts, the engine is straight out of a '07-'11 450 SX-F dirt bike (check my years for accuracy but I think that's it). Any KTM dealer can help there, as can your local shop. LoneStar Racing, Houser, Rath, and a few others are still making parts for the KTM quads as well. Hope this helps.
There are some differences with the cases and side covers from the bike engine. The bike crank is actually a bit wider than the quad crank so don't try to swap one of those in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the information! This is my first race quad so I am quite excited for the weather to warm up a bit so I can ride it and add aftermarket parts to this build :2thumbsup: . I am prepared to keep on top of the maintenance and keep it in as good condition as it is already, on my next days off I will be doing a thorough maintenance rundown on it. As for oil, I have heard Motul 2 red synthetic is good? I will also back out the compression to the suspension as I am only 170lbs. I thought about getting the fox float evol shocks but I am unsure yet. Lots of parts to come!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Everyone is going to have opinions on oil and there are plenty of brands out there. I lost a head gasket on an old quad early in a 20min moto and had about a cup of antifreeze left in the in the system. There was 0 damage to anything inside the motor running Amsoil 20W-50. I have been running it ever since. Important thing with these is to change it often.

Rocket Ron Racing does a very good job with the stock WP shocks on these machines. It will cost you just under $1000 to have him respring and revalve all three plus modify the fronts for more travel. If you get the Fox setup for the front, I would definitely have him at least re-work your rear shock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts