KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been going rounds with local dealer on a New old stock 2008 450 xc, with a little bit of candy(ktm full nerfs, billet orange filter caps and reverse cable cap) not a whole lot but about 5-7 hundo in accessories with dealer markup and labor. I finally went in to throw down my final offer of $6800 out the door everything included (doc, tax, off road stickers and plates). I started the negotiating at $6000 off a local add for $6500. But never figured on $1000 of unspoken of fees and charges until the signing. They shot me down and said they just couldn't lose that much money off it.

One week later which was yesterday they call me back and say its a go for $6800 OTD. I have Already spent my down payment on home remodel and am wondering whether I should buy or wait for the 2012.

·
Registered
951 Posts
6800 now or 9500 in 2012. Not that hard of a decision bro. I understand what you are saying but there aren't very many of these left in the show room and 2012 is still a question mark ! If you have to have new as I would then you aren't getting a bad deal. I paid 9800 out the door in the middle of 08 so believe me I understand. That was with no extras!! JMO

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
I got my 09 for $6900 OTD. I missed an 08 for $5500 OTD, that was a steal and 09 for $6500 OTD, again to damn slow problem being on the other side of the world.........

Once this old stock is gone, there will never be any cheap deals like this again..................... he who hesitates is lost..........

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got my 08 450xc in January of 2011, for $6150 OTD and they threw in some Winter Gloves ($85) and the orange tire stems (like $5)!

I think I got a great deal. Others have gotten better deals, but its getting extremely hard to find one in a dealer now. If the 2012 models were going to have fuel injection or some major upgrade, i could see waiting. But the 2012 models that we THINK are coming (if at all), so far don't have much change. The biggest upgrade I seen was a kickstart but no body knows if that is true.

If you can, buy the one for $6800. Sounds like a good deal with all that extra stuff.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Still worth it now no matter how you slice it and you will be happy, trust us! Maybe you ask them to upgrade the 08 to 09 spec with the steering stem bearings and call it a deal.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
in middle of 09 i got my 08450xc for 6350ish or so shipped from oregon with full r2r package with nerfs, helmet, gas can, extra filters, oil and a Ti valve job with port and polish and cam swap... it was all a package ktm was doing to get the leftover 08's moving, the head job was a special promo that has expired way long ago... i had known what the dealer had paid for the r2r package ( your getting whats left that they haven't sold off imho) a dealer that is within 20 miles or so of me had an 08, and wanted like 7200 it had the package installed, i went there and they said that the pkg was all extra, i walked... they were trying to make $$$

NOW WITH ALL THAT SAID... what your looking at is still a good deal on an o8, just do some research so you have some ammo to come at them with, the pkg price if i remember right was like 200 bucks to the dealer which they woulda been credited for upon registered sale of the unit... even at 6800 there is room to work, if you have the loan approved, i would call them tell them you will bring in a check for 6500 bucks if they say ok... lets face it economy isnt gr8 they should take it, an its a sweet ass quad.

·
Registered
137 Posts
actually, at 6800, theres little to no room to move. before i bought mine (a pristine ridden once 08xc), i checked with the local dealer. he could sell me a 08 450xc for 6500, but was loosing money at that price. not loosing profit, but cash out of his pocket. his cost was more than that.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
i've been told KTM writes the dealers a check for $2700 once sold, they then have to balance what they paid versus what they will let it go for..........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. Gonna go in tomorrow am. I have heard alot of things on how dealers get paid on sales, and honestly I believe they make money on every sale one way or another especially if its a multi line dealer where they can launder there crime money within departments and brands. I have been young and dumb (uneducated in the art of buying from dealers) before and have paid full MSRP and then some for bikes in the past, I just wanted to make sure I was getting a good deal and wasn't sure about waiting for 2012's. But now I am.

Also I was reading the May issue of ATV Action on the review for the the YFZ450r SE. and it said about the yami "It's a ton of fun to ride and will out-accelerate any stock 450, save for the KTM's." Four years Later, EFI and the KTM's are still better. I am sold on old stock.

Thanks Again Guys

·
Registered
472 Posts
i've been told KTM writes the dealers a check for $2700 once sold, they then have to balance what they paid versus what they will let it go for..........
Kiwi, I can't believe it, I actually know something about KTM's that you don't (and it is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with the actual quad itself, just the sale!) I ran into the KTM rep in January at a dealer trying to sell me a 09 450XC for $8700. Me being a smart a$$, I told him I wanted it for $6000 +tax because I heard the same thing you did. He quickly told me that did happen in the past but KTM wants to keep the prices up for when they launch new quads! So needless to say, KTM is no longer throwing their dealers $ on their quads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out I got my Fathers Day gift a little early. And u guys were right. I am glad I didn't wait. Its a blast and the best Fathers Day gift I ever got. Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
I've had two different dealers tell me they get a cheque back from KTM once they sell there old stock, one of them told me I get $2700 back, I then have to balance that against what I paid for it in 09 vs what I'm selling it for now and at $6500 OTD i'm breaking even.............

My brother used to be a franchise dealer, Yamaha and Suzuki, for 15 years he quit in 2006. I know from all the years he had in the game that the dealer has about a 10 to 15% margin in a new machine, he would routinely make more money on his trades than he did on the new units............. it's a hard way to make a buck.............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts