KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of doing an oil change on my ktm 450sx and i was wondering what grade is perferred and what company is the best besides motorex. What should the level on the window be... how much oil to put.. And if any knows where to buy a gripper seat for it. If anyones got any bling for my 450sx give me a shout. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
668 Posts
10/50 wet clutch oil. I use Polaris Synthetic in my XC. Mobil 1 is good as is Ams Oil. Some will buy what ever is the most convenient (Availability near them and price) while others will only use Motorex. The SX requires regular oil changes. The oil should be filled to the half way mark on the site window. Contact Fourwerx Carbon for the seat cover. IMO they make the nicest ones out there for the KTM's FourWerx Carbon - ATV | QUAD Carbon Fiber and Titanium Products | FourWerx Carbon - ATV | QUAD Carbon Fiber and Titanium Products.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use the ktm racing motorex brand, I get a 4 quart jug for $90 on rocky mountain atv... During the warmer months il change every 6-7 hours, during the winter il change evry 10-12 depending on how hard im riding...
Lets talk oil level...
I think there's a lot of confusion surrounding when to accurately judge the engine oil level, A.) when its cold B.) After warm up C) after a hard ride
Ive found when its cold is the best because when I warm it up, ive noticed the level in the sight go down after shut down. My guess is oil collecting in the head and (oil lines if you have a oil cooler)..
After a hard ride, the oil has a lot more viscosity and just a minute or two after shutdown I will notice a higher sight level, similar to what I saw b4 I first started up the bike.
Lastly, im curious to hear from, people who own both an xc and sx to comment how how the sight level differs and how much oil they put in each bike...
Those who have oil coolers- does your oil volume change?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I use the ktm racing motorex brand, I get a 4 quart jug for $90 on rocky mountain atv... During the warmer months il change every 6-7 hours, during the winter il change evry 10-12 depending on how hard im riding...
Lets talk oil level...
I think there's a lot of confusion surrounding when to accurately judge the engine oil level, A.) when its cold B.) After warm up C) after a hard ride
Ive found when its cold is the best because when I warm it up, ive noticed the level in the sight go down after shut down. My guess is oil collecting in the head and (oil lines if you have a oil cooler)..
After a hard ride, the oil has a lot more viscosity and just a minute or two after shutdown I will notice a higher sight level, similar to what I saw b4 I first started up the bike.
Lastly, im curious to hear from, people who own both an xc and sx to comment how how the sight level differs and how much oil they put in each bike...
Those who have oil coolers- does your oil volume change?
On my XC. I fill to the mid mark on the site window when cold. When the bike is running you can barely see the oil level in the site glass as it cycles through the motor. I have never had an issue. The only time I had issues was in the beginning and following the book using the recommended 2 litres during replacement. This overfills the motor then you puke white smoke and oil.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
On both xc and sx I do the following. Run bike to get it good and hot. Dump oil and raise 1 corner to ensure drain hole is lowest point. Remove old filter, fill new filter with fresh oil and fit. Replace drain plug fill with oil to half mark. Run engine for 30 seconds, let it sit for 2 mins. Top up to 1/4 mark, repeat the run/sit/top up procedure until you are happy with the oil level 1/4 way up the glass.

By over filling with oil you loose power and risk oil coming through overflow into Carb and causing smoking. Oily exhaust packing doesn't last long.

I change oil on my xc every 4 hours and every 2 hours on sx. If you have stock clutch plates on sx 10 hour oil changes are just asking for trouble. Oil is cheap compared to a blocked oil filter /damaged oil pumps from fibre and debris which run into over $1000 on seized heads etc.

I have over 200 hours on sx quads and 300 on xc since I got them in 2008 and never had an oiling issue. I race at the top of our national level (xc for practice and sx strictly for race use)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I change my 505sx between 5 and 6 hours using 20W-50 Amsoil. Closer to 5 hours than 6 if I can. Transmission starts getting notchy feeling if I go to 6. That is with Honda clutch plates and strictly MX use. Get an hour meter if you don't have one. I second Fourwerx for seat cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please help me i have a 2009 ktm 525xc so i used to dd 20w50 castrol yesterday i added 25w60 castrol and now there is blue smoke constantly coming out of the exhaust what do you think please? and what do you suggest I do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts