KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's the current stage of the rebuild just now. I've got her running etc just need to bleed brakes clutch do the tracking etc. I'm also thinking of doing a 540 bb kit or 525. The 450 in its current state had a dyno print out with 43 or 44 bhp I would like some more power but not overly clued up on bb kit or even 525? Any advice would be great thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i used sand paper started off with 240 grit then 320 then onto 500. I also didn't rub it just any old way i wrapped the sand paper around the axle and gripped it with my hand then turned the sand paper in circles whilst gripping it firmly. Looks like new and turned out well with no horrible scratches from the sand paper

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
i used sand paper started off with 240 grit then 320 then onto 500. I also didn't rub it just any old way i wrapped the sand paper around the axle and gripped it with my hand then turned the sand paper in circles whilst gripping it firmly. Looks like new and turned out well with no horrible scratches from the sand paper
Using the method you did to clean up the axle, the corrosion or rust is going to return rather quickly as you have removed any sort of protection the axle had from the factory unless you put some sort of clear coat on it when you were done. I cleaned up a Suzuki LT500 Quadzilla axle and simply used polishing compounds with a bench wheel and it gave the same result. The only difference is that I wasn't "sanding" or "eating" away any protection from the axle, I was actually just removing the dirt and adding protection with the polishing compound. It has lasted for awhile now. Just a suggestion that you try to add something before complete reassembly and then get disappointed when it starts turning on you once it meets some dirt / mud.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
There's a guy on FB who had a factory run done recently and was selling them off. He was from overseas and they price was approximately $550 before shipping for a complete set of white or black.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is this guy for real? Did you receive your plastics from this guy?
Seemed like it to me. Talked to him via Instagram DM and he gave me a tracking number and has sent me pictures of his warehouse full of them. It says my package just got transferred to the U.S. and he let me pay via PayPal so if he scams it can be handled appropriately. I don't think it's a scam. I can make note when i receive my plastics. I should probably add in there that this guy has some KILLER builds with KTM street bike engines in a ktm atv frame and what looks to be another 380cc 2 stroke ktm atv. Nothing has been sketchy buying from him besides trying to understand his english. Plus

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Yea, I've been talking with him via email. I have order a set of white plastics and paid via PayPal. He seems prety legit. We shall see. He does have some crazy builds on his FB page. I believe there is an RC8 motor in a KTM quad. That's my favorite.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I didn't go deep into the metal the axle was pretty bad with dirt and grime. The more coarse grit i used to take the dirt and grime off then i very lightly sanded the metal with 500 grit. I've got some lacquer there i suppose i could give it a coat in that but i don't mind given it a tidy up again when its looking tired

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice quad, I am new to KTMs also, got into them through ice racing.
If you want more power, try the 570 BB (actually 555cc I read somewhere) from thumper racing, it seriously hauls. I bought it from another guy that had it built years ago and then stopped riding due to starting a family. It’s a beast but I don’t know how much it cost him.
Requires head work and a 41mm carb to take advantage of the increase in displacement.
I have it geared up and am able to pull 87mph for long straights on half mile oval.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts