KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finishing up the winter rebuild and getting ready for the season, thought I would share some pictures of the machine!

I took it down to the frame and replaced all the wear items. Threw a couple of new parts into the mix, but tried not to change up my setup too much because I was pretty happy with how the bike performs. Motor got new seals, but nothing new internal this year; still running 450cc with Baldwin head, oil cooler and mino water pump.

Added a Teixeira tech gusset kit and new powder on the frame

nom nom nom

Went with the RAL2009 powder, and I like!

One of the changes I made for 2015 was going with the Teixeria stem flag

It's a real sweet little unit, very well built. I did run into a problem with it though, it was TIGHT on the Houser stem...I'm not sure how I'll ever get it off. Also, the steering stop ear rubbed ever so slightly on the flag and as it got close to full lock would get really tight. I had to take off a bit of material from the ear to clearance it...not fun on a freshly coated frame! :(

Also had to grind the powder off another area. The gusset kit was interfering with the gas tank when I went to put it on. I had to cut the two stem pieces off...turns out they were supposed to be mounted on the side of the tube, not in front of it like it is below. Whoops. :/

I also went with GBC XC Masters up front again, which is what I ran last season and loved. This year I went for the XC Racers out back; jury is still out on that decision but I have a good feeling about them. Also finally got into my first set of Hipers (or beadlocks for that matter), this will be my 9th season racing :lol:.

Sure was tough taking a file to a brand new set of $800 wheels to get them to fit...didn't know that was part of the Hiper experience when I signed up. :lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Had some fun replacing the water pump seal. Seems the mechanic I had rebuild the motor wasn't so well versed in the RFS motor as he thought. At first I thought my motor came with a completely different water pump seal than all the rest, as it turns out he'd just installed it backwards (and did a pretty messy job!). :mad: I'm not even sure how it wasn't leaking...

Spent/wasted a bunch of time with a wire brush cleaning up the motor...

The quad is pretty much all back together and ready to be moved out of the basement and into the garage. Planing on ripping this weekend, just waiting on the new Flexx bars to come in and the rear Hiper rings. I'm pretty excited, will get some more pics when it is 100% together and outside. Oh yea, and still waiting for all the dang snow to melt!

Graphics by E-sticky. They are on point.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks fantastic sir! Next time you need to get into that engine, Josh or I can help you. It's not a bad little engine at all to work on.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next winter I am sending the motor to Schumacher Race Works for an overhaul and kicker mod. So plan accordingly! :cool:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sounds good to me! I'll get you set up right! ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks awesome dude. I'm sending my engine out to CT Racing tomorrow for an overhaul, hopefully it turns out good. Also just did the Teixeira flag and gusset kit on a Houser stem. Still have a few parts to powdercoat and clean and waiing on some OEM parts.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Did you install the flag on the stem yet? Curious to hear if yours was a bear to get on, or if you had the clearance issue as well?

For me the clearance between the flag and that little ear was really tight on both sides, but close to being OK on the one side. The other side where it was really bad I am assuming was due to the fact that the ear on that side was repaired after being nearly ripped off after getting friendly with a tree...if you know what I mean. Regardless, both sides had to be shaved down a little on mine, and I know ScramblerXLE had to do the same on his. So if you have yours apart, I would recommend doing that before getting it powder coated!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I didn't actually install it on the frame yet but I tried to just slip them together and it is definitely a tight fit. No powder on the frame yet. The ear you're talking about, its not the part of the gusset kit right?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct, it is the little ear on the frame that stops the flag from allowing the bars/wheels to turn any further. I circled it in green below

·
Registered
297 Posts
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. I'll trim it down a little before I powder.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Looks good! Every one of these orange frame, orange plastic KTMs I see makes me want to strip my XC down and do the same thing. Maybe this will be the year I finally do it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks - I was a little worried doing orange on orange but now that I've seen it in person I love it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Awesome build! Glad to see a KTM given another new life! Too many being stripped down and sold off.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys

Here is what I did for the Key and lights this year. In the past I'd been using the stock plastic thing smashed in under the Flexx bar pad. It worked just fine, but I wanted to clean it up some.

I am already hating how it is just a tiny bit harder to remove the front plastics though. I may end up putting the ON and N lights next to the key in the plate I made and zip-tie the other two down below the hood.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got this thing all wrapped up and went for a ride this past weekend. Overall very happy with the machine, just needs a slight tweak on the toe, play with the tire pressure a bit and we should be ready to rip for real! Got a couple of pictures before hitting the mud...that first puddle was the hardest!

I didn't really notice a difference with the new flag, but it has been a long time since I'd been on the quad last.

Ready to race in 2 weeks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Awesome looking bike Bo!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
LOOKS GOOD. You and ScramblerXLE have some VERY NICE MACHINES. I like both your set-ups. Hope to see some wins out of you guys!
BTW, GBC tires are the way to go!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts