KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
loosen up! if you are holding a death grip on your quad the onset of arm pump comes much quicker, i havent had arm pump in 4 years of racing since i was told to loosen up, bananas etc can help, bnut the only remedy is to losen your grip, relax, and go with the bike, dont try to make it go exactly where you want, if it pulls into a rut, ride that rut, if it gets crooked, just ride it out, in the air, brace for the landing instead of fighting the bike, you will be way less fatigued if you learn to LOOSEN UP AND GO WITH THE BIKE, its easy once you get used to it

·
Registered
66 Posts
What about the thumbthrottle, is that not causing the armpump, always stretching the thumb?? I was thinking about twistthrottle but i´m not sure about it, should i modify the thumthrottle or just try the twist, after one 15min moto it just felt like i had no right arm

Eyvi

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thumb throttle doesnt bug me a bit, i cant stand twist throttles on a quad, they sound be reserved for bikes and Spyders

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been racing quads since 1989 and used nothing but a twist throttle. I was raised on 2-wheelers and didn't want to change. The forearm pump was pretty intense. About 5 years ago I decided to try a thumb throttle. Initially I had some blisters, since I was holding on differently, but my arm pump was all but gone. Another added benifit was as bh84 said " lossen up" my grip and being able to move more fluidly on the quad with way more throttle control...you could'nt pay me enough to go back to twist!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
exactly, beating arm pmp isnt in the preparation or the what you eat, sure it helps, but keeping a looser grip and not fighting the machine are greast ways to keep yourself going right to the checkers

·
Registered
85 Posts
exactly, beating arm pmp isnt in the preparation or the what you eat, sure it helps, but keeping a looser grip and not fighting the machine are greast ways to keep yourself going right to the checkers

Another neat little trick I have learned from messing with these things is to take a couple of plain old aspirin about an hour before your moto. Just like heart patients, it thins your blood improving circulation reducing arm pump and hand cramps.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good idea!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Another neat little trick I have learned from messing with these things is to take a couple of plain old aspirin about an hour before your moto. Just like heart patients, it thins your blood improving circulation reducing arm pump and hand cramps.
I used hand squeezers and rolled a barbell off of my finger tips 2 days prior to my race, then morning of race, 2hrs before race, 2 bayer asprin, 3 protein pills, lots of water = O arm pump for me. the only thing that worked for me all season, and I was'nt even tired after the race.

I am not sure if it was the combo of all, or just the asprin, or the protien pills, but it sur = O arm pump for me.

Just a couple 0.02 for all ya mx racers out there.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, water definetly helps, ive never tried aspirin or any of that, ventolin helps keep your lungs open,but then agsin im an athsmetic idont know what it would do for you guys

·
Registered
17 Posts
Losening up is all good and a great tip, but for some of the sandier more rutted tracks, ya need to hang on to go fast. Its either hang on or get bucked off. Preparation is a big one too. try drilling a hole through a wooden broom stick and attach a 10 pound weight to a 2 1/2 foot long rope. twist the weight all the way up and all the way down. Also a good workout for busted bone recovery.

Just the medic in me talking, but aspirin simply makes your blood more slippery, not thinner. That is why people with heart conditions such as angina, take it daily to prevent further blood adhesion to clots, astopping the blockages in their coranary arteries to become larger. but if it works, then right on! BH84, ya should come riding with us. I just live 20 min. south of lindsay and have 2 pro MX tracks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
All these tips are great! Training is the most important, plenty of hydration, also call Christian at Moto x Nutrition it will def help out with arm pump and also will help prevent after soreness.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ALSO, as well as loosening up, if you fall off, just ragdoll it, works every time for me, theres no way to stop a 400 ound machin from hitting you, so just take it

·
Registered
219 Posts
I feel the most important trick is, and It's not even a trick, is to ride as much as you can. Riding build confidence. Confidence will allow you to relax. And you'll learn to be proactive and not reactive. Your mind will instill fear for what it doesn't know, which will cause you to have a death grip on the bars. Be smooth, Relax and don't forget to breath. And ride,ride,ride,ride,ride. Until it's second nature. Oh ya, and drink water. Just my take.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I feel the most important trick is, and It's not even a trick, is to ride as much as you can. Riding build confidence. Confidence will allow you to relax. And you'll learn to be proactive and not reactive. Your mind will instill fear for what it doesn't know, which will cause you to have a death grip on the bars. Be smooth, Relax and don't forget to breath. And ride,ride,ride,ride,ride. Until it's second nature. Oh ya, and drink water. Just my take.

IMO nothing can compare to seat time, or time behind the bars if you want to call it that too lol.
Working out and lots of cardio can definatly help any racer but seat time is paramount.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have been racing quads since 1989 and used nothing but a twist throttle. I was raised on 2-wheelers and didn't want to change. The forearm pump was pretty intense. About 5 years ago I decided to try a thumb throttle. Initially I had some blisters, since I was holding on differently, but my arm pump was all but gone. Another added benifit was as bh84 said " lossen up" my grip and being able to move more fluidly on the quad with way more throttle control...you could'nt pay me enough to go back to twist!
(the son's reply)
that is funny. i have been riding since i was 10. nothing but thumb throttle. until i turned 15 i tried a twist. it was weird at first but no arm pump. ever since all arm pump has been eliminated. i ride at the local A class (state wide) to national upper B class. and i will turn 17 in 2 months. but i do admit. u do have a bit more control on the track with a thumb. but it way more harsh on ur arms. (at least to me) then the twist. i would like to have thumb for track only. but twist for X country and play riding. that is my opinion. that thumb better for track but X country twist is the way to go.

·
Registered
181 Posts
HONDA thumb throttle helps ALOT.I compare my KTM throttle to a Yamaha throttle...SUCKS!!! Looser grip helps alot and has saved me from many wrecks and broken wrists its like using your arms as suspension as opposed to tie rods, not sure how to explain it but I do agree about that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
HONDA thumb throttle helps ALOT.I compare my KTM throttle to a Yamaha throttle...SUCKS!!! Looser grip helps alot and has saved me from many wrecks and broken wrists its like using your arms as suspension as opposed to tie rods, not sure how to explain it but I do agree about that.
Steering damper, rubber mounted clamps, soft grips and grip donuts do wonders. Make sure to spend the time adjusting your levers. I have them pointing down a bit because that way my arm and hands are straight when I am standing up so I get no arm pump

·
Registered
15 Posts
Confidence and Seat Time! i use a moto grip trainer when not a lot of seat time.
and dont forget your vitamins and water. Works for me. Loosen up!!!!! If track is super
rough use bigger jumps to loosen your grip for a sec. as for thumb i guess just seat time.
i ride 08yamaha thumb and ktm thumb and they never bother, left hand would cramp up way
before right hand from clutch pull. maybe loosen your throttle to bar clamp and twist your
thumb throttle upward so that your thumb isnt reaching so far. i run mine higher then some
racers i know. i run i clutch and Fbrakes levers higher up to. I never get pumped.
hope this helps. but everyone has there own ride style and swag...

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
ALSO, as well as loosening up, if you fall off, just ragdoll it, works every time for me, theres no way to stop a 400 ound machin from hitting you, so just take it
That's it, just take it like a man, or go sit on the porch with the puppy's HA HA :D

Love that, mine runs me over, I get back up kick the B..ch, get back on and ride her extra hard :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i get up and jump back on and turn it over for about 5 seconds before i remember to plug in the killswitch hahaha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts