KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its coming to that time of year where we're all looking towards 09 racing season. Being two years out of racing, I'm really stoked to get back into it and make a hard charge for next season.

I'm not the smallest guy in the world at 6'3" and weighing in at 195 lbs. I'd like to get down to about 185 and I should be good to go, but the problem is that if I lift, i tend to gain weight quick because I bulk up fast.. I like being able to gain muscle quick, but when looking towards racing, of course that is defeating the purpose.

I'm wondering what you guys do for diets, and how you go about working out for racing?

Thanks, Jay

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
I play rep hockey and ride snowmobiles on my track in the winter, i also do long trail rides

its all in the way you ride, my style never gets me tired, and, not trying to brag, but its pretty fast too, me and my buddy have the same style but he gets tired quicker because he is more agressive and has less bulk to throw it around, but we always seem to be passing and coming on strong from the holeshot to the last lap

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well its coming to that time of year where we're all looking towards 09 racing season. Being two years out of racing, I'm really stoked to get back into it and make a hard charge for next season.

I'm not the smallest guy in the world at 6'3" and weighing in at 195 lbs. I'd like to get down to about 185 and I should be good to go, but the problem is that if I lift, i tend to gain weight quick because I bulk up fast.. I like being able to gain muscle quick, but when looking towards racing, of course that is defeating the purpose.

I'm wondering what you guys do for diets, and how you go about working out for racing?

Thanks, Jay
Hi Jay:
For my training I went to Marine Corps Boot Camp and it really does work, but if that is out of the question I will tell you what I did. Run, run, run!!! Do a lot of circuit training with lighter weights to cut down on building muscle mass. Do 15 reps on one station then do 15 reps on another station, then 15 on another station. For the upper boddy do 15 tricep curls, then do 15 bicep curls, then do 15 pull downs, then do 15 reps on the bench press, then do 15 push ups and just keep rotating until failure. Take a short rest then do it again continue this for a 30 minute work out. Then it's time for the run, I got to were I would run up to 11 miles at a time but mainly kept it to around 5 or 6 miles a day. Keep in mind I was 29 through 43 years of age and I was about 6' 0" and aywhere from 195 to 215 pounds and my worst PFT time was around 24min 30 sec. this was about 55 days after my 3rd hernia surgery. The older I got the heavier I got but I was still running 3 to 6 miles a day. When I started racing sprint cars I never got out of the car winded after a race as the others could hardly breath at times. You have to be disciplined in your daily routines and don't cheat yourself. Keep the lungs expanding the arms pumping and the legs moving forward. I have found nothing better for me than running for any kind of thearopy and keeping me in shape for anything I wanted to accomplish physically or mentally. Good luck

s/f
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brian, that was a good write up for sure! And I can sure tell you are disiplined, even talking to you on the phone lets me know that!

I used to have a trainer, but unfortunately football season is in full swing up here and he plays semi pro and works for that all thru the week, so working out with him just never works. I think I'm going to start going running everyday and working out in the house from time to time. Ice riding will be coming up too, and I've found that to be a great workout as well.

Thanks, Jay

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I run 24 miles, 2 times per week and also once per week 110 miles in mountain bike trails and works a lot for losing weight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts