KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got done installing the thumper racing 570 kit. The carb went to sredrum and made into a 43mm. My problem now is that when trying to fire this beast the first rotation makes a good spark at the plug but every other stroke is very weak at best. The plug is new, so I thought it was due to a underpowered stock battery so I bought the CV4 lithium with 240cca and it still did not cure my issue. When cranking it will pop like a shotgun like every 4 seconds. I don't think it is a timing issue cuz I did happen to get it started once and it ran great sounded good. The valves are adjusted correctly too. I'm drawing a blank here, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
tps thing could be off a bit? but check the gap on your plug, and if everything checks out with what it is supposed to be... try another new plug. they can randomly go bad for some reason and can be bad right out of the box, nothing is impossible. also make sure your plug cap is clean inside.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried 3 different spark plugs in it. 2 brand new ones and the one that came out before the build......as far as the tps, I'm not sure how to go about checking that it is functioning correctly.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
it is fairly simple. Did you get a manual with it or have a service manual? if so there is a section in both of them on adjusting tps. all you do is unplug the connector that connects the wires from the harness to the carb. then you use a multimeter to check two numbers. you then multiply one of the numbers by whatever number is in your manual and you should ge the other number, or very close. if it is way off you adjust as necissary. It might be marked already and if it is lined up it should be good but it is worth a check anyway. good luck. if you don't have a manual post on here that you dont and i can scan some of my pages.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was messing with it after work and have found that I can bump start it and it runs good? Wtf

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
your stator pickup thing might be going bad. sounds like the same problem i was having whne mine went bad. The problem is it went bad slowly and it made me think it was something else.I would start with stuff that is free to check first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well guys after spending countless hours going back over ever single little thing I thought it could be, turn out the brand new lithium CV4 battery was only operating on 6 cells at 10.15 volts......go figure that was the last thing I tried cuz I wasn't expecting that at all. I mean a brand new battery with 3X the cranking power of the stock unit and nearly 3X as expensive too, was expecting a little higher standards on the quality. But the important thing is she is back up and running and man does that 570 pull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts