KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is::::::

5 tie rod ends, no they didn't come apart, but they all got scary amounts of play in them.

right side front spindle

2 bearing carrier failures, nut was tight, but the bearings broke and fell out the drive side on both.

post to bar clamp mount, the two bolt tab broke off.

2 stator covers

2 carb boots

1 rebuild on the cluth master cyclinder

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Are you effin kidding me! DUDE you were only there for 3 day!

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Dang man thats crazy, you musta been putting it through its paces, haha.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
do you break that much stuff in practice too? how did you take out the stator covers?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,

Keep in mind that these bikes are raced in pro-am, pro-am unl, and production A classes. Derek and Andy are very hard on the quads, and I am very picky about the condition of parts. In my opinion if a tie rod end has play in it at all, then it should be changed. We don't travel and practice hundreds of hours to DNF over a tie rod end. The stator covers are junk, we have had them break without any impact.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Derek

holy smoke !!!

Tie rod ends we know are on the light side and I sure hope someone comes up with something better soon as a straight swap.

and there have been other reporting the stator case cracking problem: doesn't KTM do billet side cases for most of thier engines ?? still sucks though I agree...........

Rear bearing carrier, that has me perplexed ? are they good quality name brand bearings in there ? possibly inadvertently over tightened ? for a taper roller to fail something isn't right ??

Carb boots: I notice that there is no bottoming - tightening limiter like on the YFZ clamps, so it is possible to over tighten and cut the boot at the clamp maybe, or did yours split elsewhere ?? any chance of a photo Derek.

Did the engines haul arse ??

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey DS, I have a set of aftermarket rods and ends. I gave American Star all the measurements for the ktm. He sent me a set of xc rods and ends. Check them out, tell'um bryan in MD sent you.

Guys,

Keep in mind that these bikes are raced in pro-am, pro-am unl, and production A classes. Derek and Andy are very hard on the quads, and I am very picky about the condition of parts. In my opinion if a tie rod end has play in it at all, then it should be changed. We don't travel and practice hundreds of hours to DNF over a tie rod end. The stator covers are junk, we have had them break without any impact.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Derek

holy smoke !!!

Tie rod ends we know are on the light side and I sure hope someone comes up with something better soon as a straight swap.

and there have been other reporting the stator case cracking problem: doesn't KTM do billet side cases for most of thier engines ?? still sucks though I agree...........

Rear bearing carrier, that has me perplexed ? are they good quality name brand bearings in there ? possibly inadvertently over tightened ? for a taper roller to fail something isn't right ??

Carb boots: I notice that there is no bottoming - tightening limiter like on the YFZ clamps, so it is possible to over tighten and cut the boot at the clamp maybe, or did yours split elsewhere ?? any chance of a photo Derek.

Did the engines haul arse ??
For tie rod ends we are going with a Walsh Style heim joint setup.

If you find a billet stator cover let me know!!!

Rear bearing carrier bearings are junk. The part numbers cross-over to good bearings that like I told Driver could be found at any NAPA. This will fix most of the problems. You will notice that the retaining cage on the NAPA bearings is a lot larger.

Carb boots:: This problem came from heat. I checked the boot with a durometer and the boot got some heat embrittlement. We will be changing this every 4 hours from now on. It split on the bottom side along the mold line.

These engines haul. The motors that I built were in the highest placing KTM's at the ATVA Nationals. Andy Travis took 6th in Pro-AM UNL, and 5th in Pro-Am Productin. Derek took 2nd in OPEN A, and 7th in Production A. If Derek could have had better starts on Sunday it would have been better. He won Open A by 13 sec on Saturday.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
good info. I'll get a set of those bearings for sure.

wonder if a yamaha carb bott would fit,might have a look see ??

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hey Derrick, where are you guys getting your ktms from, im trying to find as many dealerships as possible to get prices from. Thanks
Try Village Motor Sports they have a 450SX in stock 616-364-8481 ask for Mike White.
Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts