KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday was Round 1 of the Arizona Quad Championship series out at my home track. I went out with a bunch of people on Wednesday to practice. I was feeling good when I took too wide of a line through a 180 degree left-hander and launched off of the edge of the jump (which is nothing more than a little roller that could be a double) totally crooked. My first thought was to let off the throttle - wrong choice - which sent me landing on the flat on my front left wheel, resulting in a violent buck from the suspension and me diving over the front of the quad, landing some 10 feet in front of it. Broke the visor off my helmet and seriously sprained my right wrist.

Since the race on Saturday was a whopping three days away, I braced my wrist, took some Advil, and iced it periodically so I would maybe be able to compete, just to earn some starting points if nothing else. I did a few practice laps before the race and actually felt pretty good. The first moto went well as I managed a third place finish after stalling the quad in a corner while avoiding a crashing fellow racer. I was content so far and the wrist was feeling decent. The second moto was a different story. At the beginning of lap 2, I went for a pass into a corner with a small jump in front of it. I was following this guy for the entire first lap and he would not give me a line even though he knew I was there and I was clearly faster. Well, he decided to come over on me and take my line just as we were approaching the lip of the jump, forcing me off the track and into a small berm. The quad starting flipping left then forward throwing me about 15-20 feet onto my back and head, then arms, then who knows what else. The quad ended up upside down in a ditch. Needless to say, my wrist is sore once again but still just sprained, while my body has numerous scrapes and bruises.

Good thing for helmets, chest protectors, Leatt braces, and boots though :D

The quad survived OK with a couple broken hood tabs and a bent steering stem ... I'll post a picture tomorrow. I'm glad it's a new week.

·
Registered
568 Posts
shite happens. it's happened to me before also. just pick up the pieces and keep pushing. some people get too bummed out about these things. we're part of a sport that's not for wimps. get ready for itp on the april the 12th. you racing? i will be in the open novice class.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
i would have freaked on the guy, ive only ever yelled at one person at the track but it was because of taht very same stuff, i had the inside line into the corner, going to pass him, and he smashes me off the track, i hit a boulder, rlled the bike 4 times(my buddy was right behind me counting lol) i faceplanted so hard my visor snapped and my roll-offs snapped off, i fifished with a pulled achilles tendon, and a bent a-arm, i had a streamer of roll-off tape out behind me lol.

i went over to his pit and asked him what the heck he was thinking, he said he was going for the inside line, lol

·
Registered
880 Posts
:( Yep sounds like Chads week end at Pell City. Ran practice got the quad jetted shocks dialed in it running great Chad looking fast. First moto last off the line by the first corner in to sixes motor is working great first lap making a pass on 5th up the ski jump [they water the face of the jump] moved to the left the quad kept going left off the side of the track landed in the mud quad stopped. Chad went 20' on to the rocky hard pack hop, elbow, wrist week end over. Quad bounced and rolled down the hill not a scrap. Chads elbow looked like a soft ball. home we go.
Bill

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shite happens. it's happened to me before also. just pick up the pieces and keep pushing. some people get too bummed out about these things. we're part of a sport that's not for wimps. get ready for itp on the april the 12th. you racing? i will be in the open novice class.
Yeah I know. I was pissed about it but I realize this kind of stuff will happen. It just sucks when multiple things occur back to back, ya know.

i would have freaked on the guy, ive only ever yelled at one person at the track but it was because of taht very same stuff, i had the inside line into the corner, going to pass him, and he smashes me off the track, i hit a boulder, rlled the bike 4 times(my buddy was right behind me counting lol) i faceplanted so hard my visor snapped and my roll-offs snapped off, i fifished with a pulled achilles tendon, and a bent a-arm, i had a streamer of roll-off tape out behind me lol.

i went over to his pit and asked him what the heck he was thinking, he said he was going for the inside line, lol
Well what's funny is I was behind the same guy at the end of the first moto and we talked afterwards. He's all "I knew you were behind me ..." and I told him I decided to lay off and not make a risky move for either of us. So what happens, he pulls the sh*t again, runs me off the track, then comes over to talk after the race. I'm pissed so I go off on him telling him to hold his freakin' line and all that to which he claims "he didn't see me." Bullsh*t.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture of the steering stem - do you think it's bent :lol:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know stuff happens, but I'm the kind of person that would fight over intentionally being wrecked, that s*** is ridiculous. I'm just out there to have fun and even though I ride XC which is different than MX, when you're obviously slower than someone you just let them by. Seems like this was a bad week for everybody with injuries, including myself. Glad to hear you weren't hurt to bad.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about straightening it but wasn't sure if it would weaken the integrity of the stem or something. Clearly aluminum does not possess the strength characteristics of chromoly so I was wondering if I ought to just replace it with an aftermarket piece?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Might as well, and hopefully not have to replace it after a similar tumble if it happens again. Not sure what the stock stem goes for but i wouldnt imagine an aftermarket one being too much more costly?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
I know it sounds crazy, but if a guys blocks ya, yell at him as louds as you can, blows there concentration and get the steam out of your system............... I've seen it done in two wheelers to get effect !!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I know it sounds crazy, but if a guys blocks ya, yell at him as louds as you can, blows there concentration and get the steam out of your system............... I've seen it done in two wheelers to get effect !!

ROTFLMAO!!! Thats the second time Ive heard that. Its just funny that I heard it on here also :lol:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if i remember right steems are like around 80 bucks. that was in 07 though
Huh, well sure beats 0 for a Walsh or Rath aftermarket one, but if it's going to happen again potentially, what's the point.

I'll have to remember that. Might as well give it a shot :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts