KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nate Morrillo will make a couple of races I think. We will know in 3 weeks!

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
as of right now KTM cant afford an MX team as well as an XC team, and with their close ties with XC/GNCC racing it had to be a pretty easy choice

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Jason Fife is Pro. He races the ITP Quadcross rider. He is a pretty cool cat ;) We camped next to him at Glen Helen.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
how come ktm cant afford a race team can am is new to racing and there in it full bore

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lots of reasons. Mainly in part that BRP has a lot more equity. They're yearly profits are much higher due to not only Can-Am, but Seadoo, Skidoo, outboard motors, etc. Also, KTM just doesn't have the ATV following. Most dealers around me refuse to even work on KTM quads, let alone sell them. With limited sales there is limited money to invest. Be happy that they are investing what they are. If the economy picks up and they keep making the quads then maybe in the future they'll spend more on racing. The ATV market just doesn't have the following compared to the two wheel world.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
KTM doesn't have the product spread, you can bet that unlike the jap big 4, ATV's where very much a side line for KTM that hasn't made them any $$$.......

·
Registered
96 Posts
my personal opinion is these quads were kinda a test bed to see if ktm wanted to go into the quad scene. It wasn't ever a full blown try at it which is why you see limited support. For those that have followed KTM for long time proubly rember the last time KTM tried to jump into AMA motocross and supercross on the bikes it was kind of just get a taste to see what it takes kinda thing they hired jeremy mcgrath to ride and not really anyone else. And now several years later we are seeing the fruits of that testing with the full blown KTM team now

so to make a long story short give them 3 to 4 years and they will blow up the atv race scene right now they are steping back from it

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
znutt, that is an interesting observation, sure hope it is the case for the ATV products as well.

KTM's big into MX in Europe, in the late 90's thats when the now venerable RFS engine came into being as an outdoor MXer in the SXS 540 guise with NEW ZEALANDER Shayne King winning the world champs in 1996 for KTM and 2nd in 1997

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey are you the same Kiwi Craig that used to be into LT250R's?

I remember a webpage of the RM verses LT250 porting a long time ago from a Kiwi Craig.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
yup.................. same guy, newer quads !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My brother recentley got a 450XC and I have to say, the steering is awesome, like my LT250's but the suspension is WAAAYY smoother. I am wanting one now!

That '92 LT you had was a great looking bike, what did you ever do with it?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
LT sold it to a friend, he still has it ! im pretty well hooked on the KTM's these days

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
wait and see if I can get my 950 SX vee twin project of the ground.................. will be a certified orange nut case then..............
just gotta talk the fininacial controller (the wife) around :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts