KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought KTM's Hipertech rims (rears for now) and thought I'd provide a few comments for those considering the purchase. First, they are very high quality. They differ from the ones you might buy direct from Hipertech in that the billet center is drilled for the KTM bolt pattern only (as opposed to two) and it has "KTM Racing" etched into it. Very cool. Second, they also appear to be very rugged. Here in Arizona--the land of rocks--I've had a problem with bent rims. I doubt I'll have that problem now. The downside to ruggedness, however, is that they weigh more than twice a much as the stock rims. On the bathroom scale the stocks weighed around 2 pounds and the Hipertechs weighed around 5. Overall that's 6 pounds added to the rear end and you can feel it. You can feel it when simply lifting the rear grab bar. Performance-wise it slows acceleration a bit, and you can also feel it in a slide. Originally I planned on buying the front rims, but the weight is giving me second thoughts. Third, the offset is a bit different than stock. Each side brings the wheel in a quarter inch, making the overall wide a half inch narrower than stock. The orange beadlock rings are trick and the rims are bulletproof, but I'm a little disappointed in the weight and the change in width.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have the regular dual pattern/dual beadock tech 3's, aren't the KTM style Hipers single beadlock? Just curious, I noticed they were a bit more expensive than ordering through other Hiper dealers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the regular dual pattern/dual beadock tech 3's, aren't the KTM style Hipers single beadlock? Just curious, I noticed they were a bit more expensive than ordering through other Hiper dealers.
Yeah, they are single beadlock and have KTM molded into the ring. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't go for the dual beadlocks. I imagine 12 extra bolts make them even heavier. They may have been a bit more expensive, I'm not sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts